Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2013, 04:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
b + W filters (b plus w)

our local photo place is really trying to push this brand... is it as good as hoya?

thanks

randy

01-29-2013, 04:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It's better in some ways.
In the USA they are bit more expensive though then here in the EU so not sure it is worth the price.
Plussides are brass metal, so the filters are easier to remove and the MRC coating is one of the best out there and they are very easy to clean, something that is a problem with some Hoya filters i hear....

I've only B+W filters and i'm ready to pay a bit more for them then for Hoya.

Last edited by Anvh; 01-29-2013 at 06:13 AM.
01-29-2013, 05:02 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, and easier to clean.
01-29-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
B+W filters are made from cut glass which assures parallel surfaces. The top brands like B+W and Heliopan do this. Less expensive filters are commonly made with molded glass (or at least used to be).

01-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Just get one and forget about it. I have 10 lenses. Six have B+W, one has a Schneider which is the same as B+W and the last two will have as soon as I can afford a '67 and '77.
01-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Brand is NOT the main differentiating factor any longer. It might have been years ago. Great companies can, and do, make really bad filters. That said, B+W are among the most expensive and rate higher in tests but brands like Marumi rate just as high and are typically considerably less expensive.

Last edited by Docrwm; 01-29-2013 at 03:51 PM.
01-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #7

Your local photo place is right, B+W is absolutely the best. In EU the price is less then Hoya IMO. Check out their site. They also make great hoods.

01-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pontax Quote
Your local photo place is right, B+W is absolutely the best. In EU the price is less then Hoya IMO. Check out their site. They also make great hoods.
In Canada for a 67mm both Hoya pro and B+W are the same price. Sounds like I am going to give b+w a try. Both are 79 dollars at that size.
UV or skylight filter? Both the same?

Thanks so far,

Randy
01-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

By class, B+W > hoya = kenko > marumi. (only because marumi is a newer company)
By rating, B+W = Hoya = Kenko = Marumi.

I have all of them, you will not see real life difference.

Of course, you need to compare their highest series line.
Most of them made cheap filter (i.e. non-coated glass) which has bad results.
01-30-2013, 12:48 AM   #10

In Denmark B+W Pro F cost 56Can$. Hoya is less sorry I was wrong. UV is 1,0X and Skylight is 1,1X the difference is very little.
01-30-2013, 04:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

UV does nothing for your photos while skylight take away the haze slightly more and making the sky slightly deeper.
Anyway get the MRC version, you really want to have the coating
01-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
In Canada for a 67mm both Hoya pro and B+W are the same price. Sounds like I am going to give b+w a try. Both are 79 dollars at that size.
UV or skylight filter? Both the same?

Thanks so far,

Randy
A skylight filter is mostly used with colour slide film to reduce a bluish tint that can happen in certain lighting situations. It also works as a UV filter.

B+W filters sold in North America are pricier as they are the better brass filters. You can also get the B+W “made for Asia” alloy filters that are a bit cheaper online. They are the same glass (MRC and regular) but the metal is the difference.

B+W also have a line of excellent Kaesemann polarizers.

Phil.
01-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #13
Banned

Photos: Albums
B+W MRC coating is harder than glass so it is harder to scratch. I scratched a Hoya HMC filter while cleaning it and since then I only purchased B+W - I have not scratched any of them. The Hoya HD filters are supposed to be improved, but by the time they showed up I was already buying only B+W.

I would only use UV filters for protection on expensive lenses - as a thumb rule, if the filter ends up costing 10% of the cost of the lens, I don't get one for that lens. You may also want to have a look at this article in which I dumped other useful information about filters.
01-31-2013, 09:30 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
B+W MRC coating is harder than glass so it is harder to scratch. I scratched a Hoya HMC filter while cleaning it and since then I only purchased B+W - I have not scratched any of them. The Hoya HD filters are supposed to be improved, but by the time they showed up I was already buying only B+W.

I would only use UV filters for protection on expensive lenses - as a thumb rule, if the filter ends up costing 10% of the cost of the lens, I don't get one for that lens. You may also want to have a look at this article in which I dumped other useful information about filters.

My Tammy 70-200 cost $625 used. It's going to get a B &W UV which might cost me $150(got to protect the investment).
01-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I never use any filters except for polarizers and now possibly getting a ND. I have a B+W Kaesemann Cir Polarizer in 67mm that fits a few of my lenses, but want one for my DA* 16-50 now. Just having a hard time parting with $115 for one right now........