Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2013, 11:25 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
DA 16-50 SDM Failed do I return for refund or get repaired

I was so excited to be getting this lens, This was my first big $$ purchase..even though I had read the reviews and the sdm failure seemed to be hit and miss, I decided to go ahead an order it. I got it in the mail today and eagerly got home only to find that it wont autofocus. so dissapointed tonight . I purchased it from a reputable dealer in Canada or so I thought, it was rated as 8+(90-99% of original finish. Used very little, but obviously used. No major marring of the finish or brassing. Optics perfect. Mechanics perfect.) The front of the lens where I would set my distance(forgive me, total newbie here) just spins right around so I think something is obviusly broken besides the fact that it wont autofocus. the packaging of the lens wasnt the greatest, and I am debating about should I just return the darn thing and get my money back, or should I send it in for repair. If I send it away for repair, does anyone know approx how long this will take here in Canada? and with the packaging being questionable, it was rolling around in the box a fair amount even though it was wrapped in bubble wrap and then had the plastic air bags in the box, a couple of them were deflated when I received the package. Is there the potential for even more damage that I may not be seeing? Also if I do send it away, have they really fixed the issue with the SDM? Thanks for any input

01-31-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If the distance scale is moving, I don't think the SDM is broken. Message the seller, it was probably messed up during shipping, and even if it didn't have insurance, so long as you paid via paypal, buyer is responsible for broken shipments.
01-31-2013, 12:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

So the distance scale is moving but not the lenses? Check it from the front when focusing to see if you can see any movement at all inside the lens.
01-31-2013, 12:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The focus ring is supposed to turn forever in either direction with no hard stops, that's the quick shift feature that allows full time manual focus override.

There is a switch on the side of the lens that has to be set to auto in addition to the switch on the body in order for the autofocus to work. What position is it in?

01-31-2013, 01:12 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Which camera are you using? SDM focus is only supported in cameras from the K10d onwards... worth checking, as you didn't mention this!
01-31-2013, 01:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

On a non-SDM capable AF body the lens should automatically revert to screwdrive AF and focus fine. That's how I used a 16-50 on my K10d before installing the SDM supporting firmware.
01-31-2013, 04:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Fewing uses a K-x, so it could be thecswitch on the lens but her camera supports SDM.
01-31-2013, 07:54 AM   #8

Original Poster
No I have the switch on the side in the a position..it works fine in manual mode. I can focus with it in manual mode.

01-31-2013, 08:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Since you say you bought it from a reputable dealer, the answer is simple - contact them for a return and refund.
01-31-2013, 09:07 AM   #10

Original Poster
yep thats what I decided..shipping it back today