Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #46
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Oh, and as an aside, if I were to suddenly decide my Sears lenses were covered in cooties and I had a sudden irrational desire to sell them off, due to my being an inherent cheapskate I probably would make a nice profit.

I averaged about $10 (give or take) per lens, and I have around a dozen or so (maybe more, I haven't counted lately) but going by eBay prices (lol) I could probably sell them for at least $25 on upwards towards $50 each since everybody and their uncle seems to be owning a mirrorless camera these days and will buy ANYTHING to adapt to them.

I wouldn't call a 200-500% return on my investment 'worthless'.

That's interesting.

02-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #47
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
I sell only when a better version is out and I don't want multiples of multiples of the same laying around. If a lens it's a great performer but has an f stop of 6.3, I won't get one.
If resale value is low, then you didn't buy it for much in the first place, so reselling it or keeping it really isn't much of a "loss" either way. In my case, the Pentax M 28mm has replaced my Tamron 28mm, but I gave $5 for the Tamron, I mostly keep it because it is an Adaptall and the mount is worth more than the lens to me. If I decide to get a different 21mm, never use my Super Lentar again and want to sell it, I'm sure I can get more than the $13 I paid for it, coincidentally that Super Lentar is a Tokina. The Komine made Vivitar 200mm f3.5 is a pretty good performer, resale value is very low, but I'm sure I could double my $8 if I wanted to sell it.

Buy stuff cheap enough and you'll never worry about resale. Sometimes you lose out, sometimes you get something great for nearly nothing, that is part of the fun of playing with cheap old stuff.
02-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #48
Veteran Member

I won't by a Pentax SDM lens until they 'freshen' the whole line. That's a lot of money for me to take that risk right now.

I have a Sears lens that is nice. I also have the Samyang 8mm fisheye... It's probably the best built new lens I have. I depend on y'all to point me in the right direction. So far you have.
02-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
What?

I can't seem...

...to hear you...

...over the sound...

...of my camera...

...using these Sears lenses...

...sorry!

My bad!

Excellent, those are some great pictures. If it ain't broke why fix it? that bunch of lenses ain't broke!

02-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #50

Photos: Gallery
No lens with SDM.
No auto focus primes besides the DA40mm (I have it already), the FA 50mm 1.4 (I have it already) and the FA 28mm 2.8 (I would love to have it).

Best regards,
02-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Not all SDM are brutal.
02-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bullitt_60 Quote
I won't by a Pentax SDM lens until they 'freshen' the whole line. That's a lot of money for me to take that risk right now.

I have a Sears lens that is nice. I also have the Samyang 8mm fisheye... It's probably the best built new lens I have. I depend on y'all to point me in the right direction. So far you have.
Glad to hear that the Sammy 8mm is that well built. I grabbed one on the $225 deal at BuyDig and they are on back order, so I am waiting........How is the hyperfocal on it? The calculator I used says 3.5ft is the hyperfocal distance. Sounds like you almost never need to focus the lens.
02-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Glad to hear that the Sammy 8mm is that well built. I grabbed one on the $225 deal at BuyDig and they are on back order, so I am waiting........How is the hyperfocal on it? The calculator I used says 3.5ft is the hyperfocal distance. Sounds like you almost never need to focus the lens.
It's bizarre. I find that anything from 2ft to infinity on my lens is in focus and I'm not even sure why it's an option. Boy does that focus ring feel and turn nice though. Anything from 2ft to 1ft you will need to adjust the focus. Make sure you take your hand off the lens before you shoot or it will be in shot.

02-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #54

For me, no:

Soligor,

Osawa

Quantaray

Sears

J.C. Penney

Chinon

Russian

Chinese

Vivitar(current)

Pro-MC

Kenko

Screw-mount

If it ain't Tamron/Sigma/Tokina/Pentax, "nuttin doin!"(who came up with that phrase?).
Short-sighted view of the world of lenses out there . Many of these lenses were made by tamron, sigma
And especially by tamron

Duh
02-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bullitt_60 Quote
It's bizarre. I find that anything from 2ft to infinity on my lens is in focus and I'm not even sure why it's an option. Boy does that focus ring feel and turn nice though. Anything from 2ft to 1ft you will need to adjust the focus. Make sure you take your hand off the lens before you shoot or it will be in shot.
Thanks. Wow, it'll take some getting used to with the 160+ degree FoV. I'm torn about the lens - got a great deal but am waiting, and waiting for it.
02-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #56
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by keithlester Quote
Short-sighted view of the world of lenses out there . Many of these lenses were made by tamron, sigma
And especially by tamron

Duh
Feel free to buy 'em all.
02-02-2013, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #57
Site Supporter

"Amateurs worry about equipment."
Great assessment and more than a little ironic that you have that in your sig yet started a post denouncing equipment.
02-03-2013, 02:08 AM   #58
Moderator PEG Judges

What Lenses "Won't" You Buy?
Ones that I don't need (an ex LBA addict that now has LBA under control)
02-03-2013, 02:09 AM   #59
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Great assessment and more than a little ironic that you have that in your sig yet started a post denouncing equipment.
Denouncing doesn't always equate to worrying.
02-03-2013, 05:53 AM   #60

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
The best that Pentax has to offer are the DA* lens, and they all have SDM, which is enough to make the Pope worry about his equipment.

I wont buy any SDM lens.

I made up a spread sheet for my i pad that list all the 9+ sharpness rated lens in the Pentax forum databases. That way, if I ever find an old lens somewhere, all I have to do is pop open the i pad before I pop open my wallet. So I guess I wont buy anything that users rate below 9.0 in sharpness as well.