Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #61
Inactive Account

Radioactive

I have to say that I would love to have one, but afraid to purchase a Super Takumar 50mm 1.4 (screw mount). I hear they are great lenses, but I am leery of the tag of many of them being radioactive.

02-04-2013, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #62
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Orzo Quote
I have to say that I would love to have one, but afraid to purchase a Super Takumar 50mm 1.4 (screw mount). I hear they are great lenses, but I am leery of the tag of many of them being radioactive.
You would have to grind up the radioactive element and inhale it into your lungs for it to have any sort of effect on you. And inhaling ground glass into your lungs is likely to be the biggest issue.

The only thing you would notice is the yellowing of the glass caused by the decay of the thorium dioxide. A few days exposure to ultra violet light will clear it right up.

Radioactive lenses - Camerapedia
02-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #63

Anything with SDM in it. Until there's a Microsoft/RROD-type mea culpa and 5+ year warranty on SDM failure, I'm not touching any of them.

Oh, and the radioactive Takumars:

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You would have to grind up the radioactive element and inhale it into your lungs for it to have any sort of effect on you. And inhaling ground glass into your lungs is likely to be the biggest issue.

The only thing you would notice is the yellowing of the glass caused by the decay of the thorium dioxide. A few days exposure to ultra violet light will clear it right up.

Radioactive lenses - Camerapedia
From that source you posted:

QuoteQuote:
Typical radiation levels can approach 10 mR/hr (...) For reference, a typical chest x-ray consists of about about 10 mR
At least in the UK, there's a limit on how many chest X-rays one can have per year for safety reasons. Carrying a radioactive Takumar for one day of shooting equals eight chest xrays. No thanks!

Edit: If of course the Camerapedia figures are wrong then so is my comparison. Still not buying
02-04-2013, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #64
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrCynical Quote
At least in the UK, there's a limit on how many chest X-rays one can have per year for safety reasons. Carrying a radioactive Takumar for one day of shooting equals eight chest xrays. No thanks!
Even if those figures are true, the radiation emitted from a Super Takumar is blocked by just about anything, including about 1" of air. Those readings would be taken nearly touching the rear element, something you don't do when shooting. If there was any significant radiation it would ruin film, which they certainly don't.

I'd be willing to take any scary radioactive lenses off your hands for just a small fee though.