Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
01-31-2013, 11:45 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
They were made by a few companies, but Ricoh and Tokina are the prime suspects as being the 'mama brand' for them. A few were Chinons and Mamiya/Sekors, but they weren't the most common.

The Sears cameras themselves were clones of three brands, depending on the model - Mamiya/Sekor, Ricoh, or Chinon, with the bulk being Ricoh rebrands. Logically, if you're outsourcing your camera to another company to stick your name on, they'd also be the ones making the lenses for the rebadged cameras.
Good to know thats for clearing that up for me.

My first camera was a 1980s Ricoh SLR 35mm. I still use the 50mm lens it came with. In fact it has proven to be a really great lens. I had no Idea it was so good till I got better at using it.

01-31-2013, 11:52 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tahoejeepmom Quote
Good to know thats for clearing that up for me.

My first camera was a 1980s Ricoh SLR 35mm. I still use the 50mm lens it came with. In fact it has proven to be a really great lens. I had no Idea it was so good till I got better at using it.
If you do go hunting down Sears lenses, just be aware that some of the automatic aperture lenses have whats called the 'Ricoh Pin' on them, which needs to be dealt with in some manner before you stick it on your modern Pentax DSLR. Its located right in the perfect spot to drop into the AF mechanism for the DSLR causing the lens to seize to the camera requiring much fuss and bother to get it back off the camera again.

Sometimes the pin is innocuous and won't stick, but sometimes it'll force you to take drastic measures to rescue your DSLR from the lenses apparent zombie bite on the camera. If you're comfortable taking lenses apart the fix (ie, removing or otherwise neutering the pin) is a fairly quick and easy process.
02-01-2013, 12:04 AM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
For me, no:

Soligor,

Osawa

Quantaray

Sears

J.C. Penney

Chinon

Russian

Chinese

Vivitar(current)

Pro-MC

Kenko

Screw-mount

If it ain't Tamron/Sigma/Tokina/Pentax, "nuttin doin!"(who came up with that phrase?).
Sillyness........

If the price is right, I'll buy "Any Lense" Just to figure out something to do with it.
02-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #34
Veteran Member

I have decided not to purchase any new SIGMA lenses. I had a bad experience buying one this past Christmas through the deal that B&H had on the Sigma 30 1.4 (I chuckled when the new sale was announced today by Adorama ). There are too many horror stories of bad copies, and I experienced that first hand. Topping it off is Sigma Canada's awful warranty service.

I'm not a dummy though. Sigma fills gaping holes in the Pentax lineup. If and when I will need a Sigma lens, I'll be buying used from a trusted seller, such as a PF member with good feedback, who can verify that the lens being sold is free from any issues.

Aside from that, I don't think there's any lens I won't buy. The only issue is money.

02-01-2013, 12:24 AM   #35
Veteran Member

No SDM for sure. They are unreliable.
No DA Limiteds for sure too. They do not suite my photography style and are somewhat slow (in terms of aperture).
02-01-2013, 01:23 AM   #36
Veteran Member

No DA560 for me... Pretty pointless for me unless:

1) It's a macro lens
2) i need it to shoot up someone's nostrils

02-01-2013, 04:46 AM   #37
Veteran Member

For me, no:

Soligor,

Osawa

Quantaray

Sears

J.C. Penney

Chinon

Russian

Chinese

Vivitar(current)

Pro-MC

Kenko

Screw-mount

If it ain't Tamron/Sigma/Tokina/Pentax, "nuttin doin!"(who came up with that phrase?).
I can't imagine not buying a lens purely on name, what's the thinking behind behind that other than lens snobbery? If I were that way inclined I suppose I could cover up the name with electrical tape or paint?
Out of the 100 or so lenses that I've got, and use, not just on Pentax DSLR but other digital cameras and many film cameras, I guess a large part of the inventory fall into the list of manufacturers posted in the list. Each lens has its certain characteristics, I get to know them, some I like some I don't. Some are razor sharp, some aren't. Nearly all of them are interesting.
And surprisingly, the old lenses attract more attention from other people than any new fancy lens I might be using, there's more lens envy for my Jupiter 11 on a Zorki 4K than my DA 50-135

02-01-2013, 06:27 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The only lenses I won't buy are lenses I can't afford & crappy lenses, if I know they're crappy. I usually research stuff before I buy, so I know what I'm getting.

There's good lenses to be had in about every one of the brands the OP mentioned. And some Russian lenses are downright superb.
02-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I look at my current kit, compared to the OP

For me, no:

Soligor,

Osawa

Quantaray

Sears

J.C. Penney

Chinon
I don't have any of the above
QuoteQuote:
Russian
this would exclude my Helios 58/2 and zenitar 16/2.8 FE
QuoteQuote:
Chinese
I don't have any chinese, except the Nikon and Canon infinity focus corrected to PK adaptors,
QuoteQuote:
Vivitar(current)
if you consider all samyang varients, this excludes my 8mm fe, 13/2.8 and 85/1.4
QuoteQuote:
Pro-MC

Kenko
I don't have any of the above
QuoteQuote:
Screw-mount
excluding the 2 russian lenses above, this also excludes my tamron 24/2.5, vivitar 28/2.5, SMC Tak 35/2, super tak (8 element version 50/1.4, SMC Macro Tak 50/4, SMC Tak 55/1.8 super tak 85/1.9, 105/2.8 vernon edonar preset, tamron 90mm F2.5 macro, tele lentar 135/2.8 preset, smc tak 135/3.5, takumar 200/3.5 preset, smc tak 200/4, and Nikkor H 300/4.5 converted to screw mount
QuoteQuote:
so based upon the bottom line, this excludes 19 lenses of my kit

in fact when you look at this type of approach, ok fine, but there appears to be a lack of understanding regarding some of the lenses excluded. even the new vivitar aka samyang lenses offer excellent optical quality and performance far superior to some tamron, sigma and tokina lenses that are out there. looks more like brand snobbery to me than realistic thinking.

About the only lenses I absolutely will not by are the takumar based 500 and 1000mm lenses because with MFD of between 50 and 100 feet, they are useless to me.
02-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
The only lenses I won't buy are lenses I can't afford & crappy lenses, if I know they're crappy. I usually research stuff before I buy, so I know what I'm getting.

There's good lenses to be had in about every one of the brands the OP mentioned. And some Russian lenses are downright superb.
I agree 100% here. When I see a lens (or any other item), I research it, check different reviews as applicable, and make my decision from there. It is why I almost bought the K-r, and now did buy the K-30 with 18-135 WR Lens.

While I do have a preferred brand in most cases, I won't exclude another brand just because I don't like it. But as is human nature, that does skew my objectivity a bit.

B
02-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For me, no:

Soligor,

Osawa

Quantaray

Sears

J.C. Penney

Chinon

Russian

Chinese

Vivitar(current)

Pro-MC

Kenko

Screw-mount

Well, I have a Sears 50mm f2.0, and really get some fantastic results, on wide range of subjects from portraits to landscapes. I think the lens was manufactured by Pentax.
02-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #42
Veteran Member

If you do go hunting down Sears lenses, just be aware that some of the automatic aperture lenses have whats called the 'Ricoh Pin' on them, which needs to be dealt with in some manner before you stick it on your modern Pentax DSLR. Its located right in the perfect spot to drop into the AF mechanism for the DSLR causing the lens to seize to the camera requiring much fuss and bother to get it back off the camera again.

Sometimes the pin is innocuous and won't stick, but sometimes it'll force you to take drastic measures to rescue your DSLR from the lenses apparent zombie bite on the camera. If you're comfortable taking lenses apart the fix (ie, removing or otherwise neutering the pin) is a fairly quick and easy process.
Great advice to keep folks aware of.
I have an old, dead, SF1 that I try out with PK/KR lens that have a pin.
Just picked up a (a-hem) JC Penny 135/2.8 with the A/P setting, slapped it on the SF1, and bingo, stuck.
A razor blade and force freed it.
The pin was removed and it's found a new life using FP on my 01.
Cost $25 total, and glad I didn't pass it by, it suits me fine.
02-01-2013, 08:56 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Well, I have a Sears 50mm f2.0, and really get some fantastic results, on wide range of subjects from portraits to landscapes. I think the lens was manufactured by Pentax.
It is probably a Ricoh. Pentax stopped making lenses for Sears when Honeywell became the US distributor.
02-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
I buy stuff to use, not sell, if resale value is low that is great for me. If it is good, I don't care what name is on the ring.
I sell only when a better version is out and I don't want multiples of multiples of the same laying around. If a lens it's a great performer but has an f stop of 6.3, I won't get one.
02-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What?

I can't seem...

...to hear you...

...over the sound...

...of my camera...

...using these Sears lenses...

...sorry!

My bad!