Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2013, 05:32 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
What lens to choose takamur or sigma ?

Hello,

I am looking for a prime lens for my pentax k-x. I found 2 lens i can choose from

1) super takamur 50mm 1.4 (around 130 $), used one
2) sigma AF 30mm 1.4 (around 280 $), new one.

I don't whether buying both will be redundant or they are completely different lens ? btw, I am learning photography. I know takamur is manual and i can live with that. What i want to know is whether it has any merits over the sigma in terms of video, bokeh, etc (not just focal length)

02-01-2013, 05:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The Super Takumar need the K to M42 adapter to fit your K-x. The Takumar is slightly longer as a 50mm but is really well-regarded. Look at pics from both lenses and decide which one you like the best.
02-01-2013, 05:52 AM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check the lens database. It will give you ratings and opinions for both lenses. Remember that some opinions (like how good the bokeh is) are very subjective. Both are good lenses but I think they have quite different applications.

The Super Takumar is a good lens, but it not just manual. I believe it is an M42 (screw) mount, so will require an adapter to use on the k-x. It also means you not only have manual focus, but you may lose some other functionality. The lens database also suggests that around $80 is the market value for the Super Takumar 50/f1.4 although that could be influenced by condition.

Sigma lenses tend to be liked by some people and not by others. I have two Sigma zoom lenses and I think they are both good.
02-01-2013, 05:59 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by mourya Quote
I don't whether buying both will be redundant or they are completely different lens ?
The difference in focal length is significant so I would say get them both; they will serve different purposes. If you have to choose, then the AF of the Sigma would be more beneficial to you when used with stills.

02-01-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Get the Sigma. It doesn't need adapters; it has auto-focus and a more practical focal length. 50mm is not wide enough for everyday use, whereas 30mm is just about right. The Takumar is an excellent portrait lens--you can get it later.
02-01-2013, 06:14 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Salagubang Quote
The difference in focal length is significant so I would say get them both; they will serve different purposes. If you have to choose, then the AF of the Sigma would be more beneficial to you when used with stills.
Basically, i want to learn portrait photography. Apart from that, i want to shoot some interviews (video). I went through the samples, and did some research and here are my thoughts.

1) takumar is good for video and if i can live with the manual focus, it serves my purpose.
2) Sigma is good when i shoot parties or kids at low light, where focusing manually may be difficult.

Basically, i want to know (considering my requirements) whether i can go for both or in case if they both serve my purpose, which one i should choose.
02-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If you can afford both go for both, they will compliment each other nicely.

02-01-2013, 08:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Buy the Takumar, get an adapter and a hood. You will have a lot of fun using it.
If you need AF and more modern rendering, the Sigma would be the better choice. But they are pretty different lenses, so its really up to what your uses/needs are.