Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2013, 07:36 AM   #1

31 f1.8 with damaged lens hood... how to repair?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi,
I know that what I'm asking for is probably impossible or too expensive.
But I bought this lens, that's working great but with an ugly lens hood. The old owner has dropped it from a table, and attempted accommodation with a pair of pliers, generating those scratches. In your opinion is there in the world a photo repairer that can do this? Here in Italy I had only negative.

Thanks,
Michele

02-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
02-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I do beleive I saw this lens and was considering bidding on it, but didn't in the end =) back on topic however, you could just leave it if it doesn't impact the operation.
Or wait until someone smashes their own 31mm ltd and buy the parts and make a whole lens again.
02-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
I do beleive I saw this lens and was considering bidding on it, but didn't in the end =) back on topic however, you could just leave it if it doesn't impact the operation.
Or wait until someone smashes their own 31mm ltd and buy the parts and make a whole lens again.
Ah ah, so you did the auction with me?
At the end I think I'll do the same or maybe I'll cover it with carbon style stickers!

02-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #5

Can it be removed? Some metal working tools to beat it close to back to shape and auto body putty to fill in the low spots and a paint job.
02-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Teknuccio Quote
In your opinion is there in the world a photo repairer that can do this?

The Zeiss Ikon Contax Camera Repair Website - Services For Lenses

Quote:

"Filter Ring Dents and Dings:
There's nothing quite as tragic as a wonderful lens whose appearance has been ruined through the use of a lens vise or pliers to "repair" a filter ring ding. Here special tools are used to gently bend the bent metal back into shape so that in most cases the repair can be done without any sign that there had been a ding to begin with. Here are before and after pictures of a worst case lens:

The filter ring is the same. It was straightened and the filter threads brought into perfect alignment with each other through the use of this special tool. This tool is tapered so that even the most deeply distorted filter ring can be threaded onto it and then moved downward and gently worked to straighten out the dings and dents and align and form the threads without affecting the original paint."
02-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Can it be removed? Some metal working tools to beat it close to back to shape and auto body putty to fill in the low spots and a paint job.
That what I was thinking as well. I bet the OP (or a friend) could get it looking pretty darn close to new.

02-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #8

Original Poster
Really interesting... but finally I think I'll use that lens as is.
02-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #9

Original Poster
This item is also interesting...
TaiWai RV-01 Lens DENT Repair Tool 4x5 5x7 8x10 Camera | eBay
02-02-2013, 03:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I lost my FA 31 before I had a chance to damage it!

I did ding the metal hood on my Sigma 8-16 and asked here how best to repair it (pliers with cloth etc) and was advised to simply take it to Sigma, which I did. Was US$60ish equivalent to get back a new-looking lens.

I'd email the above picture to Pentax Europe and ask how much.

Seems a shame to have such a beautiful lens scarred like that. Alternatively, you could beat the hell out of your DSLR and other lenses and go for the seen-heavy-action photojournalist look!