Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a couple of Auto-Takumar 135mm f3.5s but yours sounds like this one:

I took some shots with it, it's an interesting lens to use. That model has a 46mm filter. There's a slightly later one with a cocking lever and aperture ring near the base that moves up to a 49mm filter.

02-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
stepmac,

I dunno... That image of John Middleton is intriguing, but looks like there was a lot of dust on the sensor, and that line near his ear resembles the early K-5 sensor stain. Can you give us a 100% crop so we can see the fine detail? And maybe the white balance was off - I see some pink color cast. I guess photographer Morgan wasn't into post processing, or wasn't a RAW fan. Do you know what lens was used? That image shows some pretty hard vignetting.

Haha, just kidding, of course. That is an amazing photo, and your description takes us back 135 years. It is amazing how the photo and the physical artifact have stood the test of time. A real classic portrait. Thanks for showing. Wonder if you might show a few more, perhaps in one of the forums under Photography or Photo Sharing and Galleries. Sounds like you have a very interesting and unique collection!

- Craig
Thanks, c.a.m. I'll go to Photo Sharing and post some more of my antique pictures. The white mark by John's ear is on the original tintype. Most of the rest of the dust stayed on after I brushed it with a lens brush. Dust sticks to those iron plates like glue. The lenses of those old cameras were large and dept of field was narrow when taking closeup portraits. Exposure time was usually 6 to 8 seconds, but it could go to 18. Ferrographs aka tintypes could be very clear with no grain, so if sharp, they enlarge well. In some of mine I can see the photographers reflection in the subject's pupil! I have used many diff combinations of cameras and lenses to copy my collection. Strangly, some of the best I took with a 4.6 megapixel Coolpix P & S. Most were taken with a Pentax K100D with a 1.7; 5O mm and a combination of micro lenses screwed on.
02-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All,

In my previous post, I attempted to make humour by commenting on several technical characteristics of the image. I was referring to the original tintype - comparing it to the issues we see with modern digital imagery - and did not intend to imply a criticism of stepmac's photograph of the tintype. My apologies if I caused any offence.

Thank you stepmac for the additional technical details. Very interesting!

- Craig
02-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
All,

In my previous post, I attempted to make humour by commenting on several technical characteristics of the image. I was referring to the original tintype - comparing it to the issues we see with modern digital imagery - and did not intend to imply a criticism of stepmac's photograph of the tintype. My apologies if I caused any offence.

Thank you stepmac for the additional technical details. Very interesting!

- Craig
Ha; no hard feelings here. A good yuk is nice thing nowadays. I have only copied my tintypes. I'll have to break out my dags and copy them. They are fragile. One shouldn't even touch the surface of the photo; on glass, of course. Most of my tintypes came from one hord, collected by one person who lived in New Mexico Territory during the late 1870's and early 80's. The photos are all related to the lady who collected them, either from her family or her friends. They offer a peep into life in the past during the Lincoln County War. Most tintypes one runs across are anonymous, mine are not which adds to their interest.

02-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Those lenses are from the late 50's or early 60's associated with the Asahi Pentax K or H1a/SV and earlier cameras.
...and are hardly ancient! Something has to at least be older than me to be considered ancient!

Steve
02-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...and are hardly ancient! Something has to at least be older than me to be considered ancient!

Steve
+1
02-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I just got my k-01 this week and have not really spent much time with it. I can say that once I get the hang of it, focus peaking is going to be a complete game changer for manual focus lenses. I really thought it was going to be another gimmick but I am amazed at watching the focus point move over the subject as you turn the focus ring. It still seems a little optimistic for really fast lenses but like I said, I need to work with it. My tired old eyes just got new life.
Be careful, Jatrax! When I first got my K-01, I lost a couple hours of my life making the DoF "slither" across textured surfaces like carpet or furniture! It's addictive!

If you use the OK button and thumbwheel to zoom in while manual focusing, I find it gives tighter control. I tend to hunt back and forth a little before picking a "best" point - pretty much the same as the camera autofocusing, only slower...

02-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Be careful, Jatrax! When I first got my K-01, I lost a couple hours of my life making the DoF "slither" across textured surfaces like carpet or furniture! It's addictive!
LOL, already addicted I am used to manual focus so the 'back and forth' to center is natural but as my eyes age it has been harder and harder to get it right. This is just awesome, I am enjoying my manual lenses again!
02-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
LOL, already addicted I am used to manual focus so the 'back and forth' to center is natural but as my eyes age it has been harder and harder to get it right. This is just awesome, I am enjoying my manual lenses again!
That is awesome. This year, for the first time ever, I had to adjust the diopter on my DSLR viewfinder. The camera must be defective!