Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2008, 06:44 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Hartblei seem to have a pleasing line of 'super-rotator' T&S (Price List - HARTBLEI & Kiev Cameras and Lenses | HARTBLEI) for reasonable prices. Their performance seems decent and the all metal contrution is very nice... tempting.
As stated by aegisphan, the Hartblei is about the same price as a Canon Tilt & Shift lens and I wouldn't call that a reasonable price. The Arax 35/2.8 is a bit cheaper but still too expensive IMHO. If you are not into professional architecture or packshot photography, go for an Arax tilt adapter. The quality is quite good and some of the lenses available in Pentacon-Six mount are really top notch. The 50/4 Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon commonly sells for less than $200 on eBay and it is said to be a better lens than the first version of the 50mm Zeiss Distagon for Hasselblad. The Vega-12b is superb for a $60 lens. For less than $400 you can have two great lenses and the adapter ring allowing tilts. Later you can also add the 30/3.5 Zodiak 8/Arsat, the 120/2.8 Zeiss Biometar and the 180/2.8 "bokeh king" Zeiss Sonnar, and you'll have a hell of a kit for less than the Hartblei lens alone.

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
I've just learned of all this, but the results are something I've wondered about often (ie isolaing a building in a narrow DoF) I thought you'de need like a 1000mm lens and the right vantage point to do so, or just PS the result, but this is what I'm looking for.
For the kind of results shown on your sample picture, the Arax tilt adapter + Vega-12b lens is the way to go.

Cheers!

Abbazz

02-27-2008, 12:00 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to take over the thread Aegis, I just didn't realize about this until now. And thanks for the detailed tips Abazz. I will look into your suggestions. I believe the prices to be reasonable when you consider the cost of a new lens, then add tilt/shift and all metal construction, though admittedly, I was considering the 65mm/3.5 ($590). Having said that, I'll investigate the adapter and seperate lenses first.

K.
02-27-2008, 03:11 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Here are a few more pictures taken wide open with the Vega-12b. This lens has a beautiful bokeh:

Cheers!

Abbazz

Last edited by Abbazz; 02-27-2008 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Oooops, wrong pictures inserted...
07-30-2008, 09:19 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
The Lensbaby can tilt and swing quite easily but the range of movement for rise/fall or shift is quite limited due to the stiffness of the bellows tube.
I don't own one, but it looks to me like any lensbaby could be improved in the rise/fall department with the following homemade thingie:
a) a platform that would extend out from the bottom of the camera (or, perhaps better, the grip/battery pack, if used). This platform would affix through the tripod mount (and would thus need another tripod mount on the underside, if you wanted to use the whole thing on a tripod). This plate would be approximately 6" x 3" (it appears)
b) this platform would need to be slightly wider than the lensbaby and have two screw posts that would extend from the platform vertically (on either side of the lensbaby). Each of these posts would need a wingnut screwed down to adjust part c (below) up and down.
c) a thin plate with holes drilled at each end (to accomodate the posts in b). This would be the "cradle" that would lift the lensbaby, depending upon the position of the wingnuts/plate

By adjusting the wingnuts you lift the lensbaby in a vertical motion only. The whole thing could be made more adjustable using bellows parts to make the cradle position infinitely adjustable in the forward/back orientation. The other lens orientation (tilt) would still need to done with fingertip assist.

I could be all wet, since I don't have a Lensbaby to try this with. Unworkable?

07-30-2008, 11:39 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Paint Shop Pro X2

At present I don't own a T/S, but do perspective correction from my wide angle shots with PSP X2
08-01-2008, 06:51 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Hi Lowell

QuoteQuote:
At present I don't own a T/S, but do perspective correction from my wide angle shots with PSP X2
Regrettably I can't currently use either my wonderful Olympus 35mm f2.8 PC or superb M/F 50mm Mamiya f4.0 PC lens as originally intended on any of today's digital cameras. Therefore I've been faced with little alternative but to begin using the excellent perspective correction facility within PSP X2, which works a treat AS LONG AS you mentally remember to leave sufficient cropping space around the edge of each image at the time you are composing it.
This is in order to allow for the parts of the image which invariably tend to disappear off the edge of the editing-window within the software, as you start to straighten out your photos to meet the perpendicular or horizontal.

Best regards
Richard
08-25-2009, 03:01 AM   #22
Inactive Account

This is slightly off topic.

I have a Canon 5D Mk II that I use for video and I'm looking for a lens that doesn't "breathe" ie: a lens that doesn't zoom slightly as you focus. Normally only cinema lenses exhibit this behaviour but someone recommended TS lenses as being particularly good.

Can anyone comment on the breathing behaviour of the Arax TS lenses, or indeed perhaps the Pentacon Six lenses.

Thanks!