Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2013, 02:44 AM   #1

Cheap Lenses

Hello,

I'm getting into photography and I think Canon t3i, Pentax K-5 or K-30 might be my first DSLR. I may go for Canon unless there are some really cheap lenses for Pentax. I know Pentax is a very old company, and I would like to know if there are some good quality lenses, no matter if they are old, which I can use on K-5 or K-30 DSLR.

02-02-2013, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #2

read around. Damn near any lenses made by or for pentax can be used on those two cameras. Go to your local craigslist and type in "pentax". You'll be amazed at how cheap some of those lenses are. The kit lens used is around $150 and is a good option as well. You won't find any cheaper lenses for any other brand than pentax, solely because of the amount of legacy lenses
02-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What are you currently shooting with? What kinds of subjects are you interested in? Have you considered other types of cameras, e.g. "compact system cameras" (AKA "mirrorless" or MILC)?
02-02-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Saxplayer1004 Quote
read around. Damn near any lenses made by or for pentax can be used on those two cameras. Go to your local craigslist and type in "pentax". You'll be amazed at how cheap some of those lenses are.
Um, I don't think Pakistan has craigslist.

02-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #5

Didn't see he was in Pakistan... Either way, there are tons of cheap lenses on here, KEH, ebay etc. Also define cheap. Some people consider a lens under $500 to be "cheap" while others is under $50. With pentax you can find lenses from $10-$10,000 depending on what you're looking for. The kicker is, optically some of my $25 lenses perform better IQ and color wise than some of my $250+ lenses. Just depends
02-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi Sarmad. Yes there are plenty of cheap compatible lenses out there for Pentax. Especially if you don't mind manual focus. Another great benefit of the K30 would be the weather sealing, which is a real advantage if you're planning lots of outdoor photography. Oh, and a better view finder than the Canon too. In fact i think it's just an all round better camera.
02-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #7

Original Poster
My bad, I forgot to define the price. For a college student $100 will break the bank, for a billionare $10000 would be a slight lose.The one I really need is a good telephoto. But not one like cheap 55-250mm and 70-300mm for Nikon's. Something like Canon L glass.

The problem is Pentax is not that popular in Pakistan. Although I personally think Pentax is quite cheaper and rugged than other brands. For Canon and Nikon, I think you pay 50% more for brand name!

Craigslist is almost dead in Pak!
pakistan all for sale / wanted classifieds "pentax" - craigslist

Same with Ebay, not supported.
The most popular classifieds are pentax.

Plus I would like to know which lenses are compatible with Pentax K-mount. Are they DA ones? or the SMC ones?
02-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sarmad Quote
Plus I would like to know which lenses are compatible with Pentax K-mount. Are they DA ones? or the SMC ones?
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

Every K-mount lens made since 1975 is compatible with a Pentax DSLR. The K and M series lenses are stop down metering only. Pentax lenses prior to 1975 are screw mount and can be used with a DSLR if you have an adapter.

Unfortunately fast telephotos are not cheap in any mount. You might be able to find a manual focus 200/4 or 300/4 for a good price but the older ones tend toward purple fringing even more than a cheap modern tele-zoom.