Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2008, 01:54 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What else do I need?

I got my K100D last March so it's about a year old, these are the lenses I've collected so far. What else do I need to complete my case for traveling around the US by car for a few years? The wife and I plan to see all the sites... parks and such.... Probably go for a few weeks a month and come home to restock and bay bills. Everything so far fits in my Opteka OPT-HC25 X-Large Pro Aluminum Hard Case,,, and I should be able to fit a few more in.

DA 18-55mm f3.5/5.6
DA 10-17mm f3.5/4.5 ED (IF)
SMC- A 50mm f1.7
Tamron 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II
Sigma 28-70 f2.8
Sears M 60-300 f4.0-5.6
Tamron 1.4 TC

02-23-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I think you will definitely need a good tripod and a non-fish-eye ultra-wide angle lens (eg Sigma 10-20 or Pentax 12-24). I would probably leave the kit lens and the Sears at home (unless you will need the 300mm.).

cheers
Kenny
02-23-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It would help to read this article as well:

The Myth of Talent - The Radiant Vista

Link to download PDF is on the right (big icon).
Your plan reminded me of Craig's story.

My answer to your question: you need less, not more. DO NOT go with more than 3 or 4 lenses. Otherwise you will end up spending your time thinking about what lens to use, instead of what to photograph. You must choose one lens that will be on your camera most of the time. (BTW I would recommend upcoming DA17-70/4, but we don't have it now.)

I would go with one wide zoom, one telephoto zoom and one normal or wide prime for low-light. Optionally, a macro. For example, lenses that I have experience with that I would take on a trip like that would be DA16-45, DA50-200, FA35/2. The new DA18-55 II may be an interesting option as well.

And don't forget polarizing filters and a tripod with ball head.
02-23-2008, 02:51 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, agreed.
Carry the ones you'll definitely be using, and not the ones you'll maybe use.
If you like what comes out of your Tammy superzoom, you can leave your kit lens and Sears zoom at home. But the Sigma and FE lenses will give you nicer results.

Can't emphasise a good sturdy tripod enough, though... You'll need it for those long exposures.

02-23-2008, 03:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have the Megax MX-3000 Tripod & Bogen 790B Monopod & 3229 Swivel Tilt Head
The tripod has a Level on the Head and the Legs of the tripod and its real light. I will probably leave the sears home because it's so heavy, I have the 3 filter set of glass for my Kit lens and the Tammy 18-250.

Last edited by Fl_Gulfer; 02-23-2008 at 03:13 PM.
02-23-2008, 03:35 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Since you're traveling by car, and have the case, I say bring it all. Only bring a couple of lenses when you go out, but you have the choice what to bring. In a city, maybe the kit lens and the fisheye. At a park, a wide zoom and a tele zoom. I also agree with the ultra wide zoom idea if you do landscapes.
Ryan
02-23-2008, 03:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Some of this you may already have:
1) Cable release for the camera
2) backup source. Laptop or battery operated HD.(I assume you have a laptop to see things as the trip progresses and keep us up to date)
3)Unipod or small tabletop tripod.
4) Flash possibly. 360 or Sigma 530. There may be a number of times this could come in very handy.

Lens wise I think you have all the bases well covered for most shooting. Maybe a set of Extension tubes (50-70mm) for the 50mm to shoot some macros, that's all I can think of.

I agree with the "kiss" theory though. If the Tamron is giving good results, then leave the kit lens behind. It's basically redundant unless you plan on a lot of walking and weight is an issue. Same for the Sears. Or at least make sure that one case can handle all you take and make that your limiting factor. Car or not, you have to lug this into hotels and be concerned about theft etc.

I didn't bother reading the RV article yet but travelling light and thinking about the photo instead of the lens can greatly improve your skills with the gear you have.
02-23-2008, 04:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Ivan I had a look at your link. That article of Craig's is a must read. I had come across it a while back and it's as important today as it was then. Thanks for the reminder.

02-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So a ultra wide zoom or a wide prime? OK Thanks guys
02-24-2008, 10:16 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Well you have the ultra wide zoom covered with the 10-17 matched to the 18-250 or 18-55. So that's covered. If you wanted a good wider prime (normal), then the FA 35mm or FA28mm might be good. But those ranges are coverd by the Sigma. So unless you find issues with the Sigma, the extra 1/2 stop shouldn't make much of a difference. The only other lens that comes to mind is the DA14MM. But again it's covered just faster.
02-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
So unless you find issues with the Sigma, the extra 1/2 stop shouldn't make much of a difference.
Right. And since for landscapes small apertures and relatively long exposures are a must, faster lenses will be of no use. Just more weight to drag. You should be shooting at f/8 - f/16. If you find yourself in need of anything faster than f/5.6 for landscape photography that would mean that you are doing something wrong.

Also, any imaginable landscape photography you can do with 28-200mm range (~18-135mm APC-C) and in fact traveling with DA21, DA40 and DA70 only should be sufficient.

One more recommendation: "100 Ways to Take Better Landscape Photographs" by Guy Edwardes, ISBN 0715319930.
02-24-2008, 04:39 PM   #12

that article by craig tanner was a pretty good read.
thanks.
02-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I notice that you have the kit lens and the 18-250 that would cover the wideish end of things between the 17 on the 10-17 and the 28 of the 28-70. I know that both the kit lens and 18-250 can be a little weak on the wide end, so how about a DA 21? It's a higher quality piece of glass and it won't take up much room in your camera case. With it being a better piece of glass, I would think that the IQ would be better than either the 18-55 or 18-250 at 21mm.

Something else you might consider doing is replacing that heavy 60-300 with either a 70-300 or the soon-to-be-available 55-300, if you're needing the extra reach beyond the 18-250. One the other hand, if 250mm is enough reach for you, then it really doesn't make a lot of sense to take along 2 telephotos, as the Tammy does a really good job on the tele end of things.

If you've got the room, then why not take it all? As long as you won't stress yourself out deciding on what lenses to take with you on a particular outing, then you'll know for sure that you'll be prepared for almost anything that might come along.

BTW, you might check into seeing which of your bills can be paid electronically. If you could arrange to pay them all electronically, you wouldn't even need to come home as often as once a month. If you've got a laptop (which you might want for picture editing and storage, anyway), so many places now (hotels, campgrounds) offer internet access that it wouldn't be a problem to keep up with the bills. Just a thought...

Heather