Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #1

DA* 300mm f/4 ED (IF) failed

Purchased this lens on December 11, 2011. Used it for one year. Never dropped or abused. The thing stopped working today. I purchased a SAGEMAX protection plan from B&H when I bought the lens. B & H is closed today, but it will be interesting to see what happens. I contacted SAGEMAX, nothing. Looks like I threw away $300 plus bucks on a worthless three year protection plan. Incidentally, I believe I also threw away $1200 plus on a pricey lens.

Anyone else having problems with this lens freezing. Just will not focus.

02-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In Australia, the distributor of Pentax is kennedy. I only need to phone them to have an intelligent and informative discussion about any equipment issues. I can phone and and finish the call in a minute. Richo needs to provide the same level of helpful service for other counties. I suspect the average pentax user is many IQ points above the average other mobs. We are far more interested in our kit. Took months to just start a very unsatisfactory encounter with canon.
02-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

See here; hope it helps. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/ask-b-h-photo/145377-b-h-sagemax.html

BUT, try cleaning the contacts on the lens and camera mounts with a dry cloth. Could be it's simply poor electrical contact.
02-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kennedys are so good even us Kiwis use them

02-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Sounds like the typical SDM failure. I hope you can get it repaired through your third party warranty.

Saying that you threw away $1200 on a pricey lens is a little rough though. These SDM motors can fail just like anything else. At least you have an extended warranty to fall back on.
02-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #6

Original Poster
I agree

I agree it is a little rough. I am just thoroughly ticked off. Stood in 14 degree temps waiting for my regular Flickers to visit. They did, lens failed. I blessed it. It does not do this constantly, just seems to select times when a special shot is available. LOL

I might add, lens was cold, but that has not bothered it in the past. And, after I brought it inside, it failed two more times today. So, will clean the contacts as someone suggested, and see what happens. Be interesting to see how that third party warranty works. If at all.
02-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Sounds like the typical SDM failure. I hope you can get it repaired through your third party warranty.

Saying that you threw away $1200 on a pricey lens is a little rough though. These SDM motors can fail just like anything else. At least you have an extended warranty to fall back on.
Expecting something that costs that much should work more than a little over a year is not rough at all. It truly sucks that you can get a Nikon lens warrantied for 5 years for an extra zero dollars whereas Pentax you have to pay extra money on an expensive lens to get 3rd party coverage.
02-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I feel for you deema - I would be quite upset also. While the SDM failures don't seem as common as with the wider zooms, I've read of the failures with the 300mm here. I'm really not trying to defend the Pentax SDM thing, but with anything I guess we all take a gamble - what hurts the most of course is it failing just out of the normal warranty.

well cali92rs, if we wanted a Nikon warranty I guess we would have bought Nikon glass instead of Pentax.

02-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
My fault for thinking that Pentax should have as much confidence in their product as every other lens manufacturer.
Oh I agree - but we bought our lenses knowing this going in.
02-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Oh I agree - but we bought our lenses knowing this going in.
That is true...I just wish that Ricoh would change their warranty policy. It would give me the confidence to buy an SDM lens. Well, we shall see if that is in the future or not.
02-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
.I just wish that Ricoh would change their warranty policy
How much more money - PER LENS - are you willing to pay in order to have the comfort of a 5 Year Warranty, and will you then promise not to complain that Pentax isn't a "Value" brand any more?
02-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
How much more money - PER LENS - are you willing to pay in order to have the comfort of a 5 Year Warranty, and will you then promise not to complain that Pentax isn't a "Value" brand any more?
I look at the current prices of Pentax lenses and the last thing that comes to mind is "value " brand.
02-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
JVi

The DA 300/4 has a screw drive too. We have seen how the SDM can be turned off and the screw drive turned on in a software change with the DA 16-50/2.8.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-dea...m-f-2-8-a.html

If Pentax had any integrity, they would release a firmware fix around this instead of allowing their service departments to make a living off of Pentax's "planned failures".
02-03-2013, 06:45 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks folks

Thanks everyone. It is helpful (?) and disappointing at the same time to learn that this problem is rather prevalent with these lenses. Pentax should apply a fix for it. But, as has been stated, why provide a fix or a good warranty when they can make money off of us die-hard pentaxians.

When functioning properly, it is a fantastic lens.

I will let you folks know how this matter proceeds. I will be very interested to hear what Pentax has to say (if they respond at all) and to see if I should continue with my attempts with the third party warranty or just ship it off and get it fixed!

Last edited by deema; 02-03-2013 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Added phrase.
02-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Sagemax really backs up their warranty - I had drive failure on the 18-135 and after 8 weeks of their service provider not being able to fix it they refunded the entire price of the lens plus the sales tax.

David