Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
cleaning dust out of old lenses

Well, LBA struck again, except this was an easy purchase. At a local thrift store, I picked up a Vivitar Series 1 35-85 f2.8 (which doesn't get great reviews here, but many other forums speak very highly of this lens) in M42 mount for $11. However, it was dark in the store and i couldn't get a good look through the lens (that, and i saw the Vivitar Series 1 name and got excited). When i got it into the light though, i noticed a pretty good amount of dust internally. Is that something that can be fixed for any kind of reasonable amount of money or effort? It really looks like it is right in the middle of the focal range when viewed by eyeball looking through the back of the lens. the front coating also appears to have a couple of scratches, and that seems more problematic, but less correctable. Any input would be appreciated, as would the names of any shops/individuals in the U.S. who do that sort of thing. Thanks.

02-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Zooms are notoriously hard to repair, they have a lot of moving parts and are a lot more complicated than a prime. Considering good copies of that lens can be found relatively cheap, I don't think it would be worth the cost for repairs. The scratches on the front element kill any value the lens would have, even though they have little effect on image quality. The dust might not affect the image quality very much either.

Use it as it is for now, see if you can notice any image degradation from the scratches or dust, it might be perfectly usable in the current condition. Almost every old lens has dust, a lot have scratches, as long as it isn't bad enough to severely impact the image quality, there is no need to try to fix them.