Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Are Any of The 17-50 (or in that range) Lenses Full Frame?

Since it seems like Pentax won't be releasing any new lenses (was really hoping for that new DA* lens on the roadmap) anytime soon, I guess I can finally look into getting one of the current 17-50 range lenses.

I knew the DA* 16-50 was made for APSC, but I was surprised to find out that both the Sigma and the Tamron 17-50's are also made for APSC. I know Pentax doesn't offer a full frame (maybe some day?) but I do like to invest for the future (I would buy a full frame eventually from Pentax if it was ever made). Are there any lenses made in this focal range that are made for full frame? I currently have the Tamron 28-75 (I believe that is made for full frame) and am not wondering if I should just get a Sigma 10-20 instead of the 17-50. To be honest, the 17-50 would probably work better for what I'm shooting now, but it doesn't feel like a worthy investment for something that is APSC.

Hoping for some advice on what to do. I haven't shot with any of these lenses, but would really like to get something soon. Thanks.

02-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No. The 17-50s were made to be the APS-C equivalent of the 28-75.
02-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[Not a 2.8 so don't know if my post pertains to your needs]

I have the Sigma 15~30 3.5-4.5 EX which is FF, incredible lens (one of the highest user rated lenses in the lens database here), resolves extremely high on the K5. Not many of these were produced in pentax mount, as chatter of a FF pentax body continues the value of this lens is going up. IMHO, this lens is a no brainer investment if you can find one on the used market.
02-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #4

getting a 17-50mm/2.8 to be FF and that small is quite a feat. These zooms are already considered "big" and if they were FF they'd be that much larger. Even CaNikons 17-55's are apsc only. Just not feasible to make those lenses fit FF cameras. If you are happy with your tamron 28-75 now, then I'd invest in an APSC lens and even though it won't work perfectly on the FF body released whenever, it is still a worthwhile investment if you plan on keeping your APSC body, which will be better for travel and quick grab and go...

02-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

the 10-20 is APS-C only as well isn't it... I'd just grab an APS-C lens and be happy with it, it's not going to start flaring and lose it's sharpness because a FF camera comes out. 16-50 is an amazingly useful range.

Unless you plan on selling all your APS-C kit when moving to FF though, but I'd save your pennies if that''s the case and stick with the lens you've got.
02-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow, all of you guys are right. I had not considered the "change" in focal length when going from apsc to ff. 17mm is probably really wide angle on a full frame. 28 mm on a full frame would probably look like what a 18-20 mm look like on my apsc? The 17-50 does seem a lot more appealing now (I do plan on keeping my apsc).

Thanks.
02-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Wow, all of you guys are right. I had not considered the "change" in focal length when going from apsc to ff. 17mm is probably really wide angle on a full frame. 28 mm on a full frame would probably look like what a 18-20 mm look like on my apsc? The 17-50 does seem a lot more appealing now (I do plan on keeping my apsc).

Thanks.
17mm on a FF was usually a fisheye. Pentax did however have a 15mm rectilinear in both the K series and A series.
02-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sigma 17-35 EX DG is FF. It is quite a bit of fun on film. It is about like the DA 12-24, but just a tad wider.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
LX  Photo 
02-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

With the news from Adam on the FF this morning, I expect the Forum to go into overload, mashing and gashing of teeth on the body - and then spinning up on what lenses are currently available, along with what might be announced with the body, that would support FF.

I have enough glass of each, and what I like to shoot is wide angle, plus Pentax is not going to offer an 8mm (or now 12mm - with the un-crop factor, factored in) of anything - any time soon. I am just as content with my K5 and go out and shoot while everyone takes to their keyboards mainlining on the rumors and parsing each Japanese symbol, getting their knickers in a knot. All this means is that the IIs will be coming down in price faster than anticipated.

28mm FF will have the same field of view as a 18mm cropped. There is no way I am going to buy and replace my ASP-c glass, even if it were to be made. ASP-c shoots just fine. It will be the end of the year before the bodies are available, another year for production glitches, and then another year before the price starts to drop. So, we are talking 3 years till us mere mortals will be able to even consider them. That's a lot of ASP-c shooting between now and then.

The other aspect of this is, that I am suspecting that the new body will come in 2 versions with and without the AA filter, thus making the need for higher quality glass being a necessity for shooting. This is exactly what Nikon has recommended with their "e" model. Pentax is going to have to get back into making very high quality lenses - back to being a lens house to support their new sensor size.

02-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Owning that full-frame will show some of it's biggest advantages in landscape/architecture and macro shooting in terms of depth of field, this should make the DA 12-24mm f/4 potentially an interesting lens for wide angle. While it hasn't obviously been tested on what right now is a non-existent Pentax FF digital body, the image circle from 18mm through 24mm has been viable on old FF film bodies. This is an ideal range for this application if the lens proves itself to be equally as sharp on FF digital, with no vignetting.
02-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #11

The old Sigma 20-40mm f2.8 EX DG zoom is also a full frame lens.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/sigma-20-40mm-f2-8-ex-dg.html
02-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #12
Pentaxian

The FA-J 17-35 is FF compatible, but it is no DA* lens.
02-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Since it seems like Pentax won't be releasing any new lenses (was really hoping for that new DA* lens on the roadmap) anytime soon, I guess I can finally look into getting one of the current 17-50 range lenses.
Isn't there supposed to be a DA* zoom (something like a 16-85) coming out this year?