Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What DA's Can Serve Full Frame?

On and off, I've heard comments on some of the DA lenses that they also would work on a Full Frame camera. I'm wondering if any list exists where that information (if I'm recalling correctly in the first place!) is compiled?

02-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i was wondering the same thing last night and ran across these
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-lens-...ts-thread.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/106968-buildin...-database.html
02-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check out this thread compiled by Falk Lumo. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-lens-...ts-thread.html Basically it's the primes over 35mm and the DA* 60-250. However, even though it's not a full frame lens, I've been shooting film recently with my DA* 50-135. I work with a lot of models and they need 8x10s for their portfolios, so I end up cropping to a 5:4 aspect ratio anyway which lessens the issues with corner softness and vignetting.

Last edited by maxfield_photo; 02-04-2013 at 09:09 AM.
02-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

During a previous interview with Pentax, they said that the image circle for existing FF lenses might not be enough to account for the in-body shake reduction of a potential full-frame sensor. Not sure why that would be true, since the consensus here seems to be that the sensor doesn't move much.

Anyhow, personally, I speculate whether the rumored FF body would have some kind of limitation, such that existing FF lenses would work only with some limitations, like SR turned off. Or, maybe you will get a built in slight crop factor when using existing FF lenses, but you can get the full 24x36 only when using the next generation of lenses. The limitations could be for either technical or marketing reasons.

I guess I am not sure it is clear what "FF" really means, any more.

02-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA* 60-250 is not FF - see samples

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Basically it's the primes over 35mm and the DA* 60-250.
DA* 60-250 is not FF. Sample Shots Here -- see RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Compatibility of DA Lenses on Full Frame for another useful list.
02-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hehe, if you think that's bad you should see my DA* 50-135 shots. There is a bit of vignetting in the corners of those 60-250 shots, but they don't mention the aperture at which they were taken. Stopping down might improve the corners a bit, but then I usually end up adding some post crop vignetting to my images anyway because I feel that it draws the viewer into the frame a bit more. And like I say, if you crop to a 5:4, or even a 7:5 aspect ratio, those corners disappear. For panos it's definitely a problem though, but you wouldn't use that lens for that purpose anyway.

Last edited by maxfield_photo; 02-05-2013 at 09:06 AM.
02-07-2013, 06:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Stopping down might improve the corners a bit
A common trick exploited by many large format photographers is that most lenses in fact do create larger imaging circles than normal when they are stopped down past a certain point, but the trade-off is that the aperture needed to do this is usually well past the diffraction limit.