Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member
lguckert79's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 586
i found some Fa's

Well at one of my local camera shops they have a bunch of brand New Fa lenses and in light of the recent development of the FF news im woundering if i should go pick some of them up? I mean they have a 80-200 2.8 a few primes and a 28-105 power zoom the 28-70 f4 28-70 f2.8 i mean this is a gold mine in Fa's but they want a good bit for them be it they are new though. So im going to go down there and get a price list put together and post it and let me know if they are being fair or not the one guy told me the 28-105 was $225.00 new so and at that point i said id think on it so, like i said ill get a list together and post some time either this week or next i have off work wendsday and thursday so i will probablly go then but not sure yet .

02-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,981
QuoteOriginally posted by lguckert79 Quote
Well at one of my local camera shops they have a bunch of brand New Fa lenses and in light of the recent development of the FF news im woundering if i should go pick some of them up? I mean they have a 80-200 2.8 a few primes and a 28-105 power zoom the 28-70 f4 28-70 f2.8 i mean this is a gold mine in Fa's but they want a good bit for them be it they are new though. So im going to go down there and get a price list put together and post it and let me know if they are being fair or not the one guy told me the 28-105 was $225.00 new so and at that point i said id think on it so, like i said ill get a list together and post some time either this week or next i have off work wendsday and thursday so i will probablly go then but not sure yet .
I would say that the Sigma 70-200mm OS HSM is better than the pentax 80-200mm (lighter too), and the same goes for their 24-70m compared to the Pentax 28-70mm. But if they're new, you may be able to resell them for even more!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian
LFLee's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Western MA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,249
wow... FA* 80-200 and FA*28-70? These two are great lenses!
02-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,624
Well the 70-200 and the 28-70 F2.8 are good lenses, I'd definitely get the price check on those.

02-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member
lguckert79's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 586
Original Poster
dont worry I will I was Thinking these lense are just sitting on there shelf and no one is using them i would find the prices out and just find a buyer for the price of the lens and a finders fee and sell them so they see some light
02-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member
lguckert79's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 586
Original Poster
I mean these lenses have been there for years no dought
02-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #7
Pentaxian
cmohr's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brisbane. Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,085
I would have the FA*80-200/2.8 any day over the Sigma, Just because its a is a Pentax FA*, not that I have anything against the Sigma, ( I have lots of Sigma Glass) , I have the FA* 200/2.8 Prime, and have always loved the images I get from it, always wanted the 80-200/2.8, just haven't got it yet. I personally Don't mind Heavy.
02-05-2013, 01:24 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,981
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I would have the FA*80-200/2.8 any day over the Sigma, Just because its a is a Pentax FA*, not that I have anything against the Sigma, ( I have lots of Sigma Glass) , I have the FA* 200/2.8 Prime, and have always loved the images I get from it, always wanted the 80-200/2.8, just haven't got it yet. I personally Don't mind Heavy.
Having used all 3 lenses I was sort of annoyed by the loads of fringing that the FA* 200mm produces- and that seems to have carried over to the DA* 200mm. The 80-200mm isn't quite as sharp at 200mm, but it's got less fringing.

If only the FA* had silent AF and quick shift, it would be perfect! The Sigma has both plus it's lighter, so IMO it's the winner, as much as I also love Pentax glass compared to third-party stuff.


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-05-2013, 02:08 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,115
QuoteOriginally posted by lguckert79 Quote
Well at one of my local camera shops they have a bunch of brand New Fa lenses and in light of the recent development of the FF news im woundering if i should go pick some of them up? I mean they have a 80-200 2.8 a few primes and a 28-105 power zoom the 28-70 f4 28-70 f2.8 i mean this is a gold mine in Fa's but they want a good bit for them be it they are new though. So im going to go down there and get a price list put together and post it and let me know if they are being fair or not the one guy told me the 28-105 was $225.00 new so and at that point i said id think on it so, like i said ill get a list together and post some time either this week or next i have off work wendsday and thursday so i will probablly go then but not sure yet .
You're referring to the upcomming FF developement. We know absolutely nothing about it yet. Are those FA's going to be usable on the new FF at all? I know that would be a very good thing, and moreover very logical as well, but camera manufactures don't always think logical. They may even decide that an entirely new class of camera needs its own new mount. Just to secure new lens sales. Or to make sure IBIS works. Or both.
02-05-2013, 05:07 AM   #10
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2
They shouldn't change the mount - that just gives people a reason to think about other systems.

Look at what happened to olympus with 4/3. Not directly comparable since oly never really had an AF lineup, but even so.

When canon/nikon have ff systems you would be mad to throw away backward compatibility.
02-05-2013, 05:29 AM   #11
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 151
Hi Larry. If you haven't already done this, try to get an idea of what other sellers are asking $ for these lenses before going in there and shelling out your dough. for example, keh has the fa 28-70 f4 in ex condition for $72. I'm in pittsburgh too and there is one retailer in our area that has ancient stuff on their shelves but marks them up for 200-300 %, that's why they still have them on the shelf . good luck
02-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #12
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,659
Ther emay or may not be better lenses for these focal lengths out there, but if the price is right, then I suggest getting them and adding them to your lineup. Otherwise, let me know about the 28-70 f2.8
02-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member
lguckert79's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 586
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by denpapp Quote
Hi Larry. If you haven't already done this, try to get an idea of what other sellers are asking $ for these lenses before going in there and shelling out your dough. for example, keh has the fa 28-70 f4 in ex condition for $72. I'm in pittsburgh too and there is one retailer in our area that has ancient stuff on their shelves but marks them up for 200-300 %, that's why they still have them on the shelf . good luck
so you know where im talking about right bernies and i know there prices are high but if i could get them to come down on some stuff ill grab it but some of it is just to high i know that for a fact
02-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #14
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 151
bingo - out of curiosity, do you think they have any FA * lenses ?
02-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #15
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,304
QuoteOriginally posted by denpapp Quote
bingo - out of curiosity, do you think they have any FA * lenses ?
Is this directed to the OP? Because he says they have the 80-200 2.8 and 28-70 2.8 in the first post.

To @lguckert79 - there is no way the 28-105 PZ is worth more than $150 even brand new.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
im, k-mount, list, pentax lens, post, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macro Think I found some Diamonds eaglem Post Your Photos! 8 09-01-2012 08:34 PM
Misc I found Otis's Beer ! daacon Post Your Photos! 8 08-14-2011 06:38 AM
Found some free goodies, have some questions XeroX Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 08-06-2010 07:34 AM
This is some of what I found in my travels..... Heinrich Lohmann Post Your Photos! 9 07-06-2009 12:01 PM
I Found some K20D samples... Steelski Pentax News and Rumors 47 01-27-2008 03:53 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:31 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top