Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
If you want a longer working distance you might need to stretch to a Mitutuyo 10x infinite LWD (stands for "long working distance"), but they're not cheap... The longer the WD the higher the price basically, and in the infinite objective game nikon and mittys are really the only 2 major players in the game. Because they don't rely on eyepiece correction, so you can use them with a non-corrected tube as well.)
The non HR 10x lists a WD of 33.5mm.

If I were to go with this option, what else would I need aside a 200mm tube to interface it with a K5?

Last edited by FrancisK7; 02-10-2013 at 02:01 AM.
02-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Not sure what you mean by non HR but if I were you I'd do as much research as you can before buying any non proven lens and combination because it could be an expensive mistake Difficult to answer what else you need though without knowing what you already have . You need all the usual adaptors etc, for example something to connect 49mm to a Mitty or Nikon. Remember that infinite systems hac have whatever you like between the tube and objective so a manual diaphragm is often a nice addition to control the dof fallof on the final shot
02-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not sure what you mean by non HR
The regular 10x is listed as costing 865$. They have a HR 10x (I expect HR means High Resolution) for quite a bit more of money.
02-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Simple answer - I don't know and I'd really hate to misdirect you. Ask them for MTF tables, see if it's worth it? I don't want to seem patronising but be aware that at this mag it's about a lot more than just the objective. Ie stability, light source used, diffusion, light leakage, pp, software used to stack all play their part so eventhough you may buy a great objective it might not quite give you what you're hoping for unless all the other bits of your rig are top notch too...

02-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Simple answer - I don't know and I'd really hate to misdirect you. Ask them for MTF tables, see if it's worth it? I don't want to seem patronising but be aware that at this mag it's about a lot more than just the objective. Ie stability, light source used, diffusion, light leakage, pp, software used to stack all play their part so eventhough you may buy a great objective it might not quite give you what you're hoping for unless all the other bits of your rig are top notch too...
Don't be afraid to be patronizing

I've been experimenting with 3.5x magnification with a raynox and focus stacking. I now better understand the challenges I will face.

The camera will be used in a lab, on a tripod, with a diffused continuous source of lighting. The camera itself will be on a macro rail (the stackshot rail) which can automate stacking exposures according to increments we set. Afterwards I will stack the shots in Zerene (I'll try with a PMAX first) then use the retouching tool. Then import in lightroom and PP the photo as I would any other.

That is my plan, anyway. I'm sure there will be a learning curve but I am willing to tackle it on and I have the resources to do so. Getting the experience is the fun part

But as you say I need to do the proper research and buy the right equipment to make sure I can interface everything properly, and then I can experiment.
02-11-2013, 05:06 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FrancisK7 Quote
Don't be afraid to be patronizing

I've been experimenting with 3.5x magnification with a raynox and focus stacking. I now better understand the challenges I will face.

The camera will be used in a lab, on a tripod, with a diffused continuous source of lighting. The camera itself will be on a macro rail (the stackshot rail) which can automate stacking exposures according to increments we set. Afterwards I will stack the shots in Zerene (I'll try with a PMAX first) then use the retouching tool. Then import in lightroom and PP the photo as I would any other.

That is my plan, anyway. I'm sure there will be a learning curve but I am willing to tackle it on and I have the resources to do so. Getting the experience is the fun part

But as you say I need to do the proper research and buy the right equipment to make sure I can interface everything properly, and then I can experiment.
Sounds like a good plan .

Fwiw I used a tripod for months and a stackshot/tripod combo can work very well. But, and there's always a but, continuous lighting might not be the way to go. Unless you have a really solid foundation, flash wil give you better results (because the exposure time is so short). I've played with continuous and flash but only the latter gives me good results, the former is always soft. I use 3 flashes synced off a 4th myself but that's probably overkill, Jansjos are good for positioning but even with 3 I get fuzzy images. Or do you have access to a nice cold light source like a Fostec or Volpi? They're the best.

Fwiw, I have a 300 page website about extreme macro that I'm half way through writing. Should answer all these sort of questions. Maybe ready by the summer
02-11-2013, 05:53 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fwiw, I have a 300 page website about extreme macro that I'm half way through writing. Should answer all these sort of questions. Maybe ready by the summer
Nass, a website is never finished. I'm sure I speak for many when I say I am really looking forward to seeing this, and that I hope you don't wait so long before making your site public.

02-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
I'm sure I speak for many when I say I am really looking forward to seeing this, and that I hope you don't wait so long before making your site public.
+1.00
02-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Or do you have access to a nice cold light source like a Fostec or Volpi? They're the best.
I know someone who has one of these:
SCHOTT Lighting and Imaging - Illumination for Stereo Microscopy - VisiLED Series - brings contrast into stereo microscopy | SCHOTT North America

Worth getting?

Can't wait to see the website

I have multiple Alien Bee strobes I can use if I ever wanted to go with flashes.

Last edited by FrancisK7; 02-11-2013 at 02:09 PM.
02-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Thank you for your kind comments, I hope I live up to expectation. Just don't expect it anytime soon .

I should have been clearer. I meant fibre optic illumination, the sort of doodad on which you have a few flexible goosenecks, used for microscopy. Ie like this. The great thing about using these is you can channel them very effectively into small spaces and set them very precisely, unlike flashes which are obviously physically much bigger so you can't position them as well. I don't have one but I do aspire to one, one day
03-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I've been running into this problem a lot recently. I've been playing a bit with 10x and 20x and the working distance is about 2 cm with the front of the optic 7mm dia. This has meant a great big black hole because of the reflection and those fibre optic illuminators are quite tempting. Except, vibrations, my desk isn't secure enough to get an accurate pcture at 20x. Sigh. This feather, although nice enough, is an example of black reflection which I think I would have done better with coninuous light, a fibre optic.

03-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #42
Veteran Member

That's crazy and great!