Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2013, 12:38 AM   #61

Trip to Africa? it's quite big. Like bigger than USA and Europe combined...(better stop before I lose it...)

02-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiodoc Quote
I actually took my 28-300 sigma with me this last time and it did great. I have a tamron 18-200 so a 60-250 seems redundant.
Redundant in terms of focal length. Not redundant in terms of image quality. I am supposing that with the extra IQ you can crop more and still have a great shot.

If I was taking one zoom, I'd make sure it had absolutely the best IQ possible. Not that I'm likely to be in Africa any time soon!

[insert envy emoticon here]
02-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #63

Observing how the young female elephants care for the little ones is just amazing. Elephants are just amazing and the more one is around them, the more amazing they become. My shots are on slides and they didn't come out for beans. BIG MISTAKE not taking more with my little digital P&S. I would have ended up with better pics.
02-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #64
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by audiodoc Quote
May I pick YOUR brains for a sec. I have the Pentax K-r and love it. I took it to Africa with me in 2012,. I used a Sigma 28-300 mm lens. This lens worked great, but there were many times I would have LOVED a longer range. I am returning to Africa in 2014, and am looking for something to boost my capabilities.
I don't want to carry multiple lenses, as I have a 35lb weight limit for everything, and I have concerns about changing lenses in the dusty environment. I have been looking at the Sigma 50-500 mm bigma lens, but I've read pros and cons about it. Many people saying I will be sacrificing quality.
Not to mention it is heavy and I won't be bringing a tripod.

Do you have any suggestions for me? And/or would upgrading to a different camera model i.e the K-5II improve my capabilities

Thanks, Elise
Perhaps the folk saying the Bigma isn't sharp enough at 500mm haven't tried the OS version I have. Using 500mm @ f6.3 it's soft but just one click to f7.1 and it sharpens up. At f8 its incredible and you won't believe it's a 10x zoom.

Given that its Africa and light should be abundant then f8 will present no problems and give a little more DoF. The OS works well both handheld and on a monopod but its a heavy lens.

02-17-2013, 04:58 AM   #65
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr.Ballistic Quote
Perhaps the folk saying the Bigma isn't sharp enough at 500mm haven't tried the OS version I have. Using 500mm @ f6.3 it's soft but just one click to f7.1 and it sharpens up. At f8 its incredible and you won't believe it's a 10x zoom.

Given that its Africa and light should be abundant then f8 will present no problems and give a little more DoF. The OS works well both handheld and on a monopod but its a heavy lens.

Totally Agree. I find the same performance with my OS version as well.
02-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr.Ballistic Quote
I have the older version and it is hopeless at 500 beyond about 20 metres. In such case a pentax 300 would have more detail. Thing about africa is the animals are dam big and often a 1k away so 500 at infinity is important.
02-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #67
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
I have the older version and it is hopeless at 500 beyond about 20 metres. In such case a pentax 300 would have more detail. Thing about africa is the animals are dam big and often a 1k away so 500 at infinity is important.
Bob,
I had the older version and now have the new version. The new OS bigma is indeed sharper than the old one at 4 and 500mm. At least my copy is. I believe that the new OS bigma is a very nice compromise for those that do not want to spend $5k on the Sigma 500mm f4.5.

Regards
02-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
Bob,
I had the older version and now have the new version. The new OS bigma is indeed sharper than the old one at 4 and 500mm. At least my copy is. I believe that the new OS bigma is a very nice compromise for those that do not want to spend $5k on the Sigma 500mm f4.5.

Regards

Thanks Gary. I not only spent the 5K on a sigma 500, but then needed the pentax 60-250 to cover the rest. The weight and expenditure has improved my images, but I do miss the convenience of a 50-500. My bigma still comes out when I am concerned about protecting the 500. I have taken thousands of great shots with my bigma, but mostly at a closer range. Nice to know that the new version is even better but no chance I will upgrade now.

02-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #69
Site Supporter

Thanks Gary. I not only spent the 5K on a sigma 500, but then needed the pentax 60-250 to cover the rest. The weight and expenditure has improved my images, but I do miss the convenience of a 50-500. My bigma still comes out when I am concerned about protecting the 500. I have taken thousands of great shots with my bigma, but mostly at a closer range. Nice to know that the new version is even better but no chance I will upgrade now.
I understand. I have the 60-250, 300 and the Bigma. Considered selling them to get a 500mm but did not want to lose the options. Plus, the 500mm actualy requires a lot of peripheral equipment like tripods and things like a gimbal head in order to get the best out of it. Some do not ant to invest in the extras. I generally use the Bigma with a sturdy monopod. It is generally bigger than I want to travel with which is why I carry the 60-250 or the 300 with a 1.7x teleconverter if I need the reach for travel. We are considering a trip to Africa in the future. If we do go, I will most likely tote the Bigma.
02-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
If we do go, I will most likely tote the Bigma.
I used the bigma on the first trip to Africa and the sigma 500 and penatx 60-250 combo on the second. I got better wildlife pics on the second trip but hardly took any landscapes just because it was so messy changing lenses and find gear in confined spaces. We were specifically geared for photography and totally independent ie didn't have any other tourists in our group (mate and a couple of wives) A good bigma sounds like a good option. If I owned the 300mm I would have it with me for that extra sharp photo.

I have a history of not using tripods and monopods. Anyway in Africa all the best places you need to stay in a car so you do not become part of the food chain. So a bean bag is more useful. In my case, I buy a bag of rice when I get there (getting to a shop can also be dangerous depending where you stay).

Last edited by Bob from Aus; 02-18-2013 at 02:26 PM.
02-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #71
Site Supporter

I used the bigma on the first trip to Africa and the sigma 500 and penatx 60-250 combo on the second. I got better wildlife pics on the second trip but hardly took any landscapes just because it was so messy changing lenses and find gear in confined spaces. We were specifically geared for photography and totally independent ie didn't have any other tourists in our group (mate and a couple of wives) A good bigma sounds like a good option. If I owned the 300mm I would have it with me for that extra sharp photo.

I have a history of not using tripods and monopods. Anyway in Africa all the best places you need to stay in a car so you do not become part of the food chain. So a bean bag is more useful. In my case, I buy a bag of rice when I get there (getting to a shop can also be dangerous depending where you stay).
thanks for the tip Bob. I will probably try to carry two bodies and the 60-250 or the 300 will definitely make the trip.
02-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #72
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the great advice. I think I'm going with the bigma as I love the landscape photography as well as the wildlife. And with a limit of 35lbs total I am restricted. Will take the bigma, a spare lens and a bridge camera just in case.