Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter

confused about Sigma 17-50

OK, I have been looking for a Sigma 17-50 f2.8 EX DC HSM lens. However, there seem to be many different versions of this lens. I have seen some for sale that claim to have the OS but the Sigma website does not show one for Pentax mounts. Also, in the forum lens reviews, the non-OS version gets a much higher rating than the OS one. Again, however, I have read that they both have the same optical formula. To say the least, I am confused. Can anyone gove me a definitive answer about what is really out there and whether one is really better than the other (I know the second part is subjective, but opinions from users would be nice). Thanks all.

02-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You think that's bad? Take a look at the Sigma 70-200s.
02-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
Pentaxian

See this page on this thread -- discusses differences between 17-50 OS and non-OS. I've not used either, but I think they are same optical formula. The non-OS does not drain your battery the way that the OS does.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/148039-sigma-...-primes-5.html
02-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The naming thing is super lame, indeed. I've had my own share of "issues" with Sigma names :/

02-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is confusing. I just picked up a used one on the forums so I dealt with this same question. The "OS" version is the older one and it's no longer made. Sigma dropped it for the Pentax and Sony mounts as they have in camera stabilizers. I believe the newer non-OS version has the same optics but am not 100% about that. Actually, I kind of wonder if the new ones still have the stabilizers in them---with Sigma just deactivating them and removing the switch

I bought an older OS version. Seems fine to me so far, and I actually kind of like the option. I had a Tamron 17-50 for a Canon 20D and found it really noisy....bad for events and stuff... I like this Sigma much more so far.
02-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

You are right, it is confusing

I originally wrote "I have the OS version of the sigma 17-50 and my copy is great. It's a large chunk on the end of my more refined K5 body. Best zoom I have owned in this range. The OS is pointless, but I got the lens cheap."

and then went back and edited

I have the latest version which ever it is - it does have OS

Last edited by Bob from Aus; 02-07-2013 at 03:23 PM.
02-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
It is confusing. I just picked up a used one on the forums so I dealt with this same question. The "OS" version is the older one and it's no longer made. Sigma dropped it for the Pentax and Sony mounts as they have in camera stabilizers. I believe the newer non-OS version has the same optics but am not 100% about that. Actually, I kind of wonder if the new ones still have the stabilizers in them but they just took deactivated it and removed the switch.
I'm pretty sure that the OS mechanism is completely gone from the newer version of the lens. First off, the mechanism itself isn't cheap (although if I recall there was no corresponding price drop in the Pentax and Sony versions of the lens). I could very easily seem them keeping the body of the lens though and just "gutting" it, it's cheaper than spending R&D dollars to redesign it. But more importantly. I believe Nikon filed a lawsuit against Sigma alleging patent violations of their VR system. I don't know if I ever heard how the judge ruled in that case, but if Sigma thought there were a chance that they might lose, it would only make sense to take the mechanism out of lenses that didn't need it anyway.
02-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I think Nikon lost that case...though I can't remember exactly. Good news for photographers if you ask me.

My speculation on the simply disabling of the OS was based on the weight between the versions not being too different. But yeah, doesn't make much sense for them to do that, though Sony/Pentax are not huge players and redesigning the lens for them without may have not been terribly cost effective either?

Anyways, here's the news release from DPReview on the "new" 17-50 for Pentax/Sony.

02-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
os v non os

Anyone have an explanation for the difference in the ratings in the lens database - 9.20 vs 8.57??????
02-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jkglogau Quote
Anyone have an explanation for the difference in the ratings in the lens database - 9.20 vs 8.57??????
Probably small sample size. Only 7 and 5 reviews, respectively. I'm surprised there aren't more as it's a popular zoom range.
02-15-2013, 05:46 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jkglogau Quote
OK, I have been looking for a Sigma 17-50 f2.8 EX DC HSM lens. However, there seem to be many different versions of this lens. I have seen some for sale that claim to have the OS but the Sigma website does not show one for Pentax mounts. Also, in the forum lens reviews, the non-OS version gets a much higher rating than the OS one. Again, however, I have read that they both have the same optical formula. To say the least, I am confused. Can anyone gove me a definitive answer about what is really out there and whether one is really better than the other (I know the second part is subjective, but opinions from users would be nice). Thanks all.
I was browsing the Sigma site and could not find the 17-50 2.8. Has it been quietly discontinued?
02-15-2013, 06:47 AM   #12
arv
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gilzuma Quote
I was browsing the Sigma site and could not find the 17-50 2.8. Has it been quietly discontinued?
That's interesting - there are 17 - 50mm for Canon or Nikon mounts, but not for Pentax.

Edit: it is still there on Japanese Sigma site.
02-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #13
Pentaxian

When I first started reading this thread I wasn't confused, but then I found out I was in reality I was confused. Then i thought I had sorted out my confusion. However I am confused about whether I am or I am not confused.

Sorry was that confusing?