Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #1

Pentax Lense 18-270mm F3.5 - 6.3

Hi considering to buy the new Pentax Lense 18-270 mm F3.5 - 6.3 just want to hear any thoughts about it and whether I am taking the right direction - mainly do wildlife and car racing photos and sick of carrying muliple lenses have a K5.

Also any suggestion on whre one can get a good deal- Melboirne or online no fuss

Thanks in advance

John

02-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jwpinnacle Quote
Hi considering to buy the new Pentax Lense 18-270 mm F3.5 - 6.3 just want to hear any thoughts about it and whether I am taking the right direction - mainly do wildlife and car racing photos and sick of carrying muliple lenses have a K5.

Also any suggestion on whre one can get a good deal- Melboirne or online no fuss

Thanks in advance

John
For a super-zoom I'd say that this is a pretty good lens. I don't know of any discounts, but here's an in-depth review:
Pentax-DA 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-08-2013, 01:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Its only new so the only place I've seen so far is in Sydney for A$660.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/214245-pentax-super-mu...-new-post.html

Cheaper than USA price of 799.

Is it good value? I don't know I'm not buying one.
02-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
recommended

02-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #5

Thanks in advance

John
I've been wondering the same thing, John. Since purchasing the K-5, I've been looking for a really versatile lens that I don't have to change around when I do event and street photography. I found some comments and sample photos from another part of the Pentax forum that basically gives this lens a "meh" rating. I got a similar response when I posted the same question as you on one of the Flickr Pentax group pages. For the price ($750 before tax, in Canada), I'm thinking it should rate better than that. : ) Would like to try it, but it's currently out of stock at my favorite camera store. Thinking I might wait until the price goes down.

Would be interested in what others have to say.
02-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Is it good value? I don't know I'm not buying one.
QuoteOriginally posted by wanderfull1 Quote
Would be interested in what others have to say.
Well it's a superzoom, so right off the bat you know what to expect from it. You can certainly get great photos with this lens, but expect to be spending quite a bit of time in photoshop correcting distortions, vignetting, sharpening, etc. I would say that our review gives a fairly good overview of what the lens is capable of, so I would give it a read.

Personally I would recommend the 18-135mm over the 18-270mm because the former has faster AF and less distortion. But if you want/need the extra reach, the the 18-270mm will certainly work. The only thing that the 18-270mm is really bad at is continuous AF at 270mm, due to the slow aperture and longer throw.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Well it's a superzoom, so right off the bat you know what to expect from it. You can certainly get great photos with this lens, but expect to be spending quite a bit of time in photoshop correcting distortions, vignetting, sharpening, etc. I would say that our review gives a fairly good overview of what the lens is capable of, so I would give it a read.

Personally I would recommend the 18-135mm over the 18-270mm because the former has faster AF and less distortion. But if you want/need the extra reach, the the 18-270mm will certainly work. The only thing that the 18-270mm is really bad at is continuous AF at 270mm, due to the slow aperture and longer throw.
Thanks Adam. I've read the in-depth review (great stuff!) and will investigate the 18-135mm. Currently I use a 50-200mm and then switch to a 35mm or 50mm. Would be nice to one ready for anything lens and not have to switch. : )

02-09-2013, 01:39 AM   #8

Original Poster
Adam, Thanks for your advice I think I may try18-135mm - John
02-09-2013, 05:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
expect to be spending quite a bit of time in photoshop correcting distortions, vignetting, sharpening, etc.
Once this lens is added to DxO Optics Pro, that will be the ideal software to use IMO. Optics Pro works miracles with the 18-135, and does so automatically.
02-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Thanks in advance

John
Why not consider the new 18-250 Sigma macro, particularly at the current price (at least in the US - not sure about elsewhere)?

Paul