Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I'd rather invest in good glass than spend more money for a larger sensor.
I've already invested in good, full-frame capable glass,
and would welcome a larger sensor to put behind it.

02-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm not so sure good FF glass can be small and light. We shall see how the FA ltd's perform on a 24mp FF DSLR, especially with respect to borders.
02-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
I'm not so sure good FF glass can be small and light.
Just look at the FA 20 versus DA 14 comparison I mentioned earlier.
02-08-2013, 07:42 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Just look at the FA 20 versus DA 14 comparison I mentioned earlier.
Yes, I know: there is excellent Pentax FF glass that's light and does great with APS-C sensors. My point was, we'd have to wait to see how that glass performs on a 24mp FF dslr.

Last edited by causey; 02-08-2013 at 08:41 AM.
02-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've already invested in good, full-frame capable glass,
and would welcome a larger sensor to put behind it.
If you need more resolution for larger prints, that's fine. Otherwise there is no real gain. The only hypothetical gain would be to get a wider FOV on your shorter focal length lens, but it would still be more economical to just buy a newer, more modern lens design with a wide FOV.
02-08-2013, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Otherwise there is no real gain.
For a given wide angle of view, the real gain is that the FF lens can be smaller.

[I]t would still be more economical to just buy a newer, more modern lens design with a wide FOV.
Such lenses (for APS-C) are larger, more expensive, and involve more compromises.

And in my current situation, I'd get more benefit from a $2000 Pentax FF body
than from a replacement $1200 high-end APS-C body.
02-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #22
Veteran Member

If you need more resolution for larger prints, that's fine. Otherwise there is no real gain.
That may be true for you, but not for me. I don't know which lenses you own, but I am very eager to see my fast fifties turn 'normal' again, my Takumar set to not fail me on the wide-angle side, and my 85 f1.4 to be the perfect portrait lens it was meant to be.
02-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ikarus Quote
I don't know which lenses you own, but I am very eager to see my fast fifties turn 'normal' again
My lenses are in my sig

Maybe it's because I have built my kit with a digital body in mind, so instead of seeing my 50 as a normal deprived of its function, I see it a a lens giving me a particular field of view, which I can use or not as I please.

I think it's fine if we agree to disagree. It's entirely possible that people who have shot with film SLRs feel that the crop factor is a bother. For me it's all I've known.

One could argue (and I will) that if your 50s are not wide enough, the simple solution is to replace then with a 31, 35, 40 or 43mm.

And in my current situation, I'd get more benefit from a $2000 Pentax FF body
than from a replacement $1200 high-end APS-C body.
That's particular to you, but a fair point nonetheless.

02-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #24
Inactive Account

I think that when they start FF production, it would be a reasonable and maybe even wise decision to only focus on producing top of the line full frame lenses and not even have a mediocre kit lens. Sell a body only, body with 28-105 f4 kit, or body and FA 50 f1.4. Then produce the obligatory 24-70 f2.8, 70-210 f2.8, and a handful of additional primes to supplement the FA ltd and D FA lines. The lack of a kit lens can be justified by saying that the FF line focuses on the professional market who don't want or need that kind of lens.
02-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
When Pentax releases their full frame body, what do you think the fate of the DA line will be? I believe it's been reported that some of them will work without any issues on full size film cameras (I think the 35mm was one, but not sure), but what about others, in particular the super wide angles like the 10-17mm, the 12-24mm or the much loved 15mm?

A more pertinent question is the fate of the FF camera (and its lenses).

Having a complete cropped DA lens line-up is a good idea. This will be Canons goal in the near future according to rumors.
02-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ikarus Quote
Less expensive, sure, but smaller and lighter? Full-frame bodies today are chunkier than they need to be. If Pentax engineers set their minds to it, I expect them to make a full-frame camera that is the smallest on the market, i.e. only marginally larger than the K-5. APS-C cameras based on the K-mount, on the other hand, cannot be made much smaller, even with omission of the viewfinder, as the K-01 has clearly demonstrated. They're essentially wasting space, because the mount and most lenses are originally full-frame designs. It's a bit like putting a 1.2L engine in a Luxury Sedan and calling it downsizing.
For FF you need 50% longer focal lenght for the same magnification. Thats where the size and weight disadvantage is, not in lens diametre...
02-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #27
Veteran Member

One could argue (and I will) that if your 50s are not wide enough, the simple solution is to replace then with a 31, 35, 40 or 43mm.
You could argue that, but where do you find a 35mm f/0.9 for APS-C, let alone one that you can have for less than 150$?
02-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
IMO all DA lenses will remain in production, as obviously not everyone will want (or be able to afford) the full-frame body.
Adam, would it be a good test of DA lens FF capability to shoot some film with it (maybe in my MZ-S) and look at the results?
02-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #29
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Adam, would it be a good test of DA lens FF capability to shoot some film with it (maybe in my MZ-S) and look at the results?
There's already a thread on this by falconeye- many of them work ok, but IMO DA lenses should always be used in crop-mode when mounted on a FF camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There's already a thread on this by falconeye- many of them work ok, but IMO DA lenses should always be used in crop-mode when mounted on a FF camera.
This was the conclusion I came to as well, after reading that thread, with a few exceptions. Several of the lenses work but it remains to be seen how well they'll really perform--especially in the corners--on a 24MP FF. (This is assuming the FF will use the same sensor as the D600).

Personally, I'm not overly optimistic...hopefully Pentax will release a few killer new FF lenses with their 35mm camera, or at least get Tamron to port over the new 24-70 f/2.8 or something. Tokina sounds like it's on board.