Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
DA Lenses Fate

When Pentax releases their full frame body, what do you think the fate of the DA line will be? I believe it's been reported that some of them will work without any issues on full size film cameras (I think the 35mm was one, but not sure), but what about others, in particular the super wide angles like the 10-17mm, the 12-24mm or the much loved 15mm?

02-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
When Pentax releases their full frame body, what do you think the fate of the DA line will be? I believe it's been reported that some of them will work without any issues on full size film cameras (I think the 35mm was one, but not sure), but what about others, in particular the super wide angles like the 10-17mm, the 12-24mm or the much loved 15mm?
IMO all DA lenses will remain in production, as obviously not everyone will want (or be able to afford) the full-frame body.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-07-2013, 05:48 PM - 7 Likes   #3
Closed Account

I agree with Adam regarding not everybody wanting a full-frame. Yes, there are people like this, me included, who would rather carry around something smaller, lighter, and less expensive that can still take remarkable photos. Unless I'm going to make a life-sized print, APS-C is the way to go for most applications. I still think that most (not all) people who lust after full-frame and froth at the mouth about Pentax lagging in this area aren't really exceptional photographers, but rather looking for the biggest toy/bragging rights. This type typically spends more time whining on these forums than actually making photos.
02-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Maybe I'd be willing to trade my full-frame Sigma 15 fisheye to someone for their DA15 when that day comes.
And it will be very interesting to see if I would send or receive cash to balance such a trade!

02-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
I still think that most (not all) people who lust after full-frame and froth at the mouth about Pentax lagging in this area aren't really exceptional photographers, but rather looking for the biggest toy/bragging rights.
Consumerism vs. photography
I'm going to stay with APS-C, too. It's just fine for what I need, and the lightness factor is important to me.
This being said, I'm glad Pentax will release a FF camera--bodes well for the future of the company, IMO.
As for the DA lenses, if they get cheaper as a result, I won't mind it.
02-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
(I think the 35mm was one, but not sure)
The 35 Lmtd is not FF, but the 35/2.4 is.
02-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To answer your question, DA lenses will probably work in a cropped mode on a FF camera. Besides, for the most part, "DA" lenses are slightly tweaked from their non digital versions. A FF camera will still be "DA" as in the sensor will work the same way it does on a smaller sensor camera!

So in most cases, the "DA" is meaningless when it comes to Pentax glass except that some lenses have a vignette and smaller image circle.

The smaller image circle? I really don't care about slight vignetting, in that I routinely use the center of an image and discard/crop off what I don't use.

I have zero issue keeping my "old" DA lenses for use on the new FF when it comes.

Besides, I use the Q because of it's crop in comparison to my K5, so I will love to add a FF to my K5 in the same way.

When I get my FF Pentax, it will bring so much more to my workflow.

02-07-2013, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

I don't even think about the original question - all this "when" a Pentax full frame comes out.......it's more like "if" it ever does from what I've read and heard on the interviews.

Makes the question moot.
02-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I don't even think about the original question - all this "when" a Pentax full frame comes out.......it's more like "if" it ever does from what I've read and heard on the interviews.

Makes the question moot.
True. I will be happy - if- it comes.

02-07-2013, 11:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Yes, there are people like this, me included, who would rather carry around something smaller, lighter, and less expensive that can still take remarkable photos.
Less expensive, sure, but smaller and lighter? Full-frame bodies today are chunkier than they need to be. If Pentax engineers set their minds to it, I expect them to make a full-frame camera that is the smallest on the market, i.e. only marginally larger than the K-5. APS-C cameras based on the K-mount, on the other hand, cannot be made much smaller, even with omission of the viewfinder, as the K-01 has clearly demonstrated. They're essentially wasting space, because the mount and most lenses are originally full-frame designs. It's a bit like putting a 1.2L engine in a Luxury Sedan and calling it downsizing.
02-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
IMO all DA lenses will remain in production, as obviously not everyone will want (or be able to afford) the full-frame body.
I think this is probably correct, though I'll add that it'll probably put the lybosh on any new DA lens releases. Pentax are already extremely slow at releasing new lenses and a fourth interchangeable-lens format to support can only make that worse .
02-08-2013, 01:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ikarus Quote
Less expensive, sure, but smaller and lighter? Full-frame bodies today are chunkier than they need to be. If Pentax engineers set their minds to it, I expect them to make a full-frame camera that is the smallest on the market, i.e. only marginally larger than the K-5.
I completely agree. I saw the Sony RX-1 in person for the first time today, and it is shockingly small. I could not believe what I was looking at. Obvisously, and SLR must be larger, but I think we will get to the point where they can make a full-frame SLR the size of a K-5 sooner rather than later.
02-08-2013, 02:48 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Yes, there are people like this, me included, who would rather carry around something smaller, lighter, and less expensive that can still take remarkable photos. Unless I'm going to make a life-sized print, APS-C is the way to go for most applications.
I also like small and light, which is one of my reasons for using Pentax.
But here's the thing: For wide-angle lenses,
full frame equipment is not necessarily larger and heavier.

Compare the full-frame FA 20/2.8 at 70mm length and 255 grams
with the APS-C equivalent DA 14/2.8 at 84mm length and 420 grams.

Currently, I use a two-body APS-C kit.
If a good compact Pentax FF DSLR appears,
I would have it replace one of the APS-C bodies.
Then FF for wide angle and APS-C for tele.
02-08-2013, 04:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The 35 Lmtd is not FF, but the 35/2.4 is.
yes it is
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/58225_10200312426361758_2095394575_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/14946_10200312425841745_1117937077_n.jpg
02-08-2013, 06:00 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I agree with Adam regarding not everybody wanting a full-frame. Yes, there are people like this, me included, who would rather carry around something smaller, lighter, and less expensive that can still take remarkable photos. Unless I'm going to make a life-sized print, APS-C is the way to go for most applications. I still think that most (not all) people who lust after full-frame and froth at the mouth about Pentax lagging in this area aren't really exceptional photographers, but rather looking for the biggest toy/bragging rights. This type typically spends more time whining on these forums than actually making photos.
Amen to that.

I'd rather invest in good glass than spend more money for a larger sensor.