Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #31

i have 100% feedback and did not see any fungus on the lens i am not a photographer but my vision is clear i do not know what else i can do to please this person i have asked nicely a number of times to return the item . i have spoken to ebay and they say until i have my item back shipping paid by the buyer i do not have to give a refund as i am not disagreeing a refund but i need the item back to give the refund what i believe is fair i dont believe $50 refund to clean 1 lens is fair when you paid $51 for the whole lot also delivery needs confirmation . or i can give you $15 refund and you get the cleaned that is my best offer if you want more you will have to go through ebay or pay pal

"For the record, this is "hanmores_vintage_goods" on eBay. Buyer beware. This is a junk dealer, not a dealer in photographic equipment."

one mans junk is another mans treasure i have many satified customers

i cant do any more than offer a full refund on return of my item it would be the same as any shop

02-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
At first sight, the deal appears to a good one, but it isn't so.
So, the buyer paid 54+15 shipping=$69 for an old camera that only some collector might still have interested in, 3 televonverters that are worth nothing (m42 mounts, nonetheless), a useless lens (with fungus), and the Takumar 50/1.4--which is the only lens she can actually use, supposing it hasn't been touched by fungus that would develop in the future.
$69 isn't a bad deal for a good copy of a Tak 50/1.4, and I don't know if the Tak is in really excellent shape or not, but the buyer expected to have a deal better than that; otherwise she might not have bid. The seller's subjective appreciation of how good the deal was is irrelevant, given s/he misrepresented the condition of the lens with fungus.

Last edited by causey; 02-09-2013 at 10:55 AM.
02-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
At first sight, the deal appears to a good one, but it isn't so.
So, the buyer paid 54+15 shipping=$69 for an old camera that only some collector might still have interested in, 3 televonverters that are worth nothing (m42 mounts, nonetheless), a useless lens (with fungus), and the Takumar 50/1.4--which is the only lens she can actually use (supposing it hasn't been touched by fungus that would develop in the future.
$69 isn't a bad deal for a good copy of a Tak 50/1.4, and I don't know if the Tak is in really excellent shape or not, but the buyer expected to have a deal better than that; otherwise she might not have bid. The seller's subjective appreciation of how good the deal was is irrelevant, given s/he misrepresented the condition of the lens with fungus.
i am not lying it was a genuine mistake i looked over it thoroughly and see no problems and any problems i did see i pointed out i took close up pictures and now i am saying i will give a full refund but i am not giving the refund until the items are in my possession can someone tell me a shop that would refund you without your product?
02-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shelou Quote
i am not lying it was a genuine mistake i looked over it thoroughly and see no problems and any problems i did see i pointed out i took close up pictures and now i am saying i will give a full refund but i am not giving the refund until the items are in my possession can someone tell me a shop that would refund you without your product?
No, of course, the buyer has to return the items in order to get a refund.

02-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #35

thank you thought i was going crazy for a minute there ..now thats all she has to say and do as well and this will be over with...
02-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, now that is settled, with proof for everybody. Return everything and get it over with. Unfortunately, the seller did not realize the passion of the Pentax community, and who actually buys most of the old Pentax/Takumar lenses. No wonder he is back peddling all of a sudden.
02-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

one mans junk is another mans treasure i have many satified customers
It appears you deal primarily in antiques and "found" pieces. You are also a fairly new dealer with relatively few completed auctions. I would suggest in the future that you do what other similar dealers do. You should claim ignorance regarding the condition or usability of the item if it has anything to do with the following:
  • Photographic
  • Audio
  • Electronic
  • Business machines
  • Watches/Clocks
  • Computers
  • Automotive
  • Firearms
  • Anything that is technical or which might cater to an enthusiast market
This is a red flag to any experienced bidder and provides a (value) clue to even the inexperienced bidder looking for a vintage lens or camera in working condition.

Steve

02-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #38

Original Poster
thank you thought i was going crazy for a minute there ..now thats all she has to say and do as well and this will be over with...
Yes, but you left one thing out. You asked me to ship the item in original condition so I will, but you said that you want it without fungus. Once again, I'm telling you, I cannot make fungus disappear, you sent it to me with fungus, so I shall send it back to you with the original fungus.
02-09-2013, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

bags of sand? it is saw dust to protect the contents , ok lets make this hard i have a no returns policy

im done i want the whole item returned for your money back thank you
The douchebag that sold me the Tamron lens with the fungus had a "no returns" policy too. If you represented the lens as ok, and it's clearly NOT... You will lose. I can tell you that from experience.

Oh.. and packing a lens in bags of sawdust and cereal boxes is the hallmark of a moron.

iNicole:

Here's what I did with the dishonest seller that tried to screw me over on the Tamron:

1) Don't interact with the seller anymore. It's obvious they want to be difficult.
2) When you file your claim with PayPal, be as matter-of-fact and concise as possible. Don't use defamatory language against the seller, and make it clear that a lens with fungus is USELESS.
3) Point out what fungus looks like in your claim. The PayPal people may not know otherwise.
4) Take clear photos of your lens showing both the serial number AND the fungus in the same shot if possible, and upload them somewhere like flickr or imageshack along with the photo of that same lens with the serial number visible from the eBay listing. That will prove it is the same lens.
5) If you have the unaltered interaction between you and the seller from your e-mails where you explain the problem and are asking for a refund, and their responses to you, include it.

I would think it would be an open & shut case. At least it was for me. PayPal doesn't make their phone number easy to find. But if you need to actually talk to someone at PayPal, here's the shortcut.

The one time I dealt with them on the phone, they were great to deal with, and were very helpful.

By the way... don't forget to leave appropriate feedback for the seller after the PayPal dispute is complete, and you have your refund. It's not about retaliation. It's about alerting fellow buyers not to buy from this seller.

Good luck! (Though I seriously doubt you need it in this case.)
Bob. :-)
02-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
No, of course, the buyer has to return the items in order to get a refund.
Unless, of course, the seller sees the silliness of paying the postage both ways to accept the item. I have a fungus-filled and mechanically-damaged Super Tak (in a plastic bag on my counter as I type) that was part of a camera/lens deal. The seller and I reached an amicable solution that involved a refund for the lens portion of the deal with me responsible for disposing of the defective item. The camera (Pentax SV) was rough as well, but Eric was able to set it right.

Steve

(...has had to deal with several fungus lens deals over the last several years and have never had a seller balk once provided with photo proof...)
02-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #41

It is my understanding that you have to contact the seller first before making a claim with PayPal Buyer Protection.

You should only communicate through eBay's email - eBay keeps a copy so neither party can claim messages were not received or altered.
02-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Unless, of course, the seller sees the silliness of paying the postage both ways to accept the item.
Yes, absolutely. The seller should support the cost of shipping both ways. The buyer wasted time and she'll make an effort to re-pack and return everything. Most importantly, she's not responsible for the situation.
02-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #43
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had two ebay seller refund my money, including shipping, once I indicated that the items were damaged. They did so while I was still trying to come to a reasonable compromise - I wasn't expecting a full refund, just a partial one - but they went ahead and refunded me once I indicated what the problems were.
02-11-2013, 04:37 AM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I've had two ebay seller refund my money, including shipping, once I indicated that the items were damaged. They did so while I was still trying to come to a reasonable compromise - I wasn't expecting a full refund, just a partial one - but they went ahead and refunded me once I indicated what the problems were.
we have sorted this problem out now but the reason i wouldnt pay the shipping is because i do not ship international and this person had outbid a usa citizen to win this item in canada then asked me to ship it so we agreed that the shipping cost was on her i do not see why i should be responceable for someone who breaks the rules if it would have been a usa citizen there is a good chance i would have paid the postage as it woulld be 10 times cheaper but in this case i agreed from the start that i wasnt paying postage i also spoke to ebay and they said return shipping is upto the buyer .lesson learned here is email the seller first before bidding on an international auction that doesnt ship internationally not after and just expect them to post it
02-11-2013, 05:08 AM   #45
Veteran Member

we have sorted this problem out now but the reason i wouldnt pay the shipping is because i do not ship international and this person had outbid a usa citizen to win this item in canada then asked me to ship it so we agreed that the shipping cost was on her i do not see why i should be responceable for someone who breaks the rules if it would have been a usa citizen there is a good chance i would have paid the postage as it woulld be 10 times cheaper but in this case i agreed from the start that i wasnt paying postage i also spoke to ebay and they said return shipping is upto the buyer .lesson learned here is email the seller first before bidding on an international auction that doesnt ship internationally not after and just expect them to post it
I sold some stuff on ebay, and I know one can restrict the shipping areas for each item put on sale, before the bidding. It might be a second honest mistake that you allowed a Canadian to bid in the first place. Moreover, there's no indication of the fact that you won't ship outside the U.S. on the sale page.

I understood from the buyer that you hadn't actually shipped her the camera and the other "lenses" (that is, the teleconverters), which contradicts your statements in this thread. A third honest mistake?

Shippinng to Canada isn't 10 times more expensive than shipping to a U.S. destination.

Whatever agreement you had with the buyer concerning shipping was voided by your misdescription of the condition of the lenses. It happened to me more than once that a seller refused to refund shipping money because "his policy clearly stated that return shipping was on the seller." Such policy is ok as long as the seller does not need to return the transacted items after discovering that they do not correspond to the seller's description.

Personally, I would not buy anything from you.

Last edited by causey; 02-11-2013 at 05:23 AM.