Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #1

is this FUNGUS in my lens?

Hi!

I just want to know if this is fungus for sure, I'm 90% sure it's fungus.

Is it possible for fungus to develop in a few days (during shipment), I got this like 3 hours ago!

Thanks
Nicole

Last edited by iNicole; 02-08-2013 at 07:57 PM.
02-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, it's fungus.
No, the fungus could not have developed in a few days. It's much older than that.
02-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is truly nasty!!! No, that did not happen overnight. Did the seller indicate the lens condition in the offer? I would suggest a return for the full amount of purchase plus shipping both ways.

Steve
02-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is truly nasty!!! No, that did not happen overnight. Did the seller indicate the lens condition in the offer? I would suggest a return for the full amount of purchase plus shipping both ways.
No! That's why I'm a bit pissed! I also messaged the seller 2 times to make sure there was no mold or fungus in the lens, and he/she told me the lens was clean...

The pictures in the listing were blurry too, so I really couldn't tell!

02-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iNicole Quote
No! That's why I'm a bit pissed! I also messaged the seller 2 times to make sure there was no mold or fungus in the lens, and he/she told me the lens was clean...

Insist on a full refund. If you paid with PayPal, start the dispute process today.

Steve
02-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

\

You should be able to return it without problems. And you should be refunded for shipping, too, since the seller sent you a defective item.
02-08-2013, 11:01 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
No, the fungus could not have developed in a few days. It's much older than that.
How long approx. does it take for the fungus to develop?

02-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

how long does it take fungus to grow on lens?

Edit: That is a bad case of fungus, send the lens back asap!

Last edited by altopiet; 02-08-2013 at 11:50 PM.
02-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I bought a Tamron 60-300 with a case of fungus like that. Seller described the glass as "pristine and clear". She wasn't going to give me a refund (she said I was being too picky.) 'til I took a bunch of photos of the fungus and sent them off to PayPal. I had my money back in my account a couple of days later.
02-09-2013, 06:11 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Fungus, a lot that did not develop overnight ... I agree that you should demand a refund and pay no postage ... J
02-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I bought a Tamron 60-300 with a case of fungus like that. Seller described the glass as "pristine and clear". She wasn't going to give me a refund (she said I was being too picky.) 'til I took a bunch of photos of the fungus and sent them off to PayPal. I had my money back in my account a couple of days later.
UPDATE: The seller now thinks I'm lying about the fungus.... this is insane!! He wants me to send the lens back with no fungus to get refunded. I am no magician! I would love to be able to make fungus disappear!
02-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

UPDATE: The seller now thinks I'm lying about the fungus.... this is insane!! He wants me to send the lens back with no fungus to get refunded. I am no magician! I would love to be able to make fungus disappear!
Don't even screw around with that jackleg. Start a paypal dispute immediately. Can I assume you sent the same video to the seller?
02-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Give him the link to this thread. If he still refuses to give you a full refund, file a complaint with paypal. Don't worry, you'll get your money back.

Anyway, he seems to be a dishonest seller. If he's selling lenses he should know fungus doesn't grow overnight and that you could not be responsible for it. He either didn't check the lens thoroughly (with a flashlight) when you asked him to or he knew the lens had fungus.

Last edited by causey; 02-09-2013 at 09:18 AM.
02-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #14

Original Poster
I did link him to here, he claims that the lens showed in this video is not his... i have all the proof, the exact same scratches on the lens at the exact same places.. I don't even want to cause him any trouble, I'm trying to find the best solution.
And he wants me to pay the return shipping to which is 18$!!! What is this... I have to pay an extra 18$ for receiving a lens full of fungus.

Should I wait a bit and talk with the seller or file a complaint immediately?
02-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I did link him to here, he claims that the lens showed in this video is not his... i have all the proof, the exact same scratches on the lens at the exact same places.. I don't even want to cause him any trouble, I'm trying to find the best solution.
And he wants me to pay the return shipping to which is 18$!!! What is this... I have to pay an extra 18$ for receiving a lens full of fungus.

Should I wait a bit and talk with the seller or file a complaint immediately?
File a complaint in 3, 2, 1... NOW!
Explain the situation in your complaint message and include the link to your video.
The best way to identify a lens is by the number on the front, which in the case of your lens is 5411719.

Last edited by causey; 02-09-2013 at 09:26 AM.