Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I've taken mine through PDX several times and never got a bit of interest. Never thought about it at the time.

Thanks, you have given me one more thing to add to my airport anxiety list.
I should try it sometime. I can just imagine getting pulled out of line due to my medical implants (metal shoulder) and then being caught with radioactive materials too!

Steve

02-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
(...is wondering whether a ST 50/1.4 will set off the radiation detectors in airports...)
If the radiation detector isn't within 3 feet, then no.
02-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #18
Site Supporter

I can just imagine getting pulled out of line due to my medical implants (metal shoulder) and then being caught with radioactive materials too!
My dad has two metal hip replacements and for some reason they give him a hard time every time he flies. He even carries a doctor's statement describing them and they still pulled him out of line last time he visited.

But he shoots Canon so no Takumars
02-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
"In the window"? Window glass blocks most UV in the light.
Well when the glass in your windows was made around 1920 you can assume it doesn't block very much. Even modern clear glass only blocks UVB. Almost all the UVA gets through, so while you won't get a sunburn indoors, if you sit in direct sunlight your skin will still be affected, and your corneas, and your yellowed Takumars. Sunlight on my windowsill has cured several S-M-C Tak 50/1.4's in the past (quite profitably, I might add).

02-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #20
Veteran Member

As noted above, there is a significant risk from thoriated elements in the eyepieces (ocular) of binoculars, telescopes, and microscopes; but any health risk is very low for the taking lens on your camera. There is also little (no?) risk to your camera.

The main issue is that the radiation causes a yellowing of lens glass over time. This may be cleared by exposure to UV light (many articles on the Web).

Steve

(...is wondering whether a ST 50/1.4 will set off the radiation detectors in airports...)
Or, not......I had an Olympus OM 50) (or was it 55mm), the "radioactive version". It was widely held in the OM fanboy circles that the gradual yellowing was part of what gave the lens it's "special pixie dust"
02-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Or, not......I had an Olympus OM 50) (or was it 55mm), the "radioactive version". It was widely held in the OM fanboy circles that the gradual yellowing was part of what gave the lens it's "special pixie dust"
A sort of permanent Y2 or O2 filter, then.
02-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
A sort of permanent Y2 or O2 filter, then.
Something of the sort, yes. I did use it exclusively for B/W, and it did have a lovely rendering.......hmm...
02-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How did the question occur to you?

02-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #24

I'd rather have slightly radioactive or lead or arsenic glass if it results in better optics. I have several high quality vintage telescope eyepieces (and would like more) and no one seems to worry about any radioactivity in those. People are too risk-averse these days, particularly when there is no real risk at all.