Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2013, 10:58 PM   #1

Can the radiation from SMC Takumar 50 1.4 damage DSLR camera?

Can the radiation from the smc takumar 1.4 lens damage my canon t4i?

02-08-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No. So long as you don't grind the lens up into dust and eat it or keep the lens elements in direct contact with your body for hundreds of hours at a time the radiation won't have much of a meaningful impact on anything.

As for the camera, the lens wasn't radioactive enough to cause problems with film left in a Spotmatic body for months at a time. Tens of thousands of people are using various Thorium containing lenses on all manner of digital cameras with no ill effects.

If the radiation still bothers you, the M 50mm f/1.4 is worth roughly the same amount, has equivalent performance and isn't radioactive (though it would require a different adapter for use on a Canon body).

Radioactive lenses - Camerapedia
02-09-2013, 12:13 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, it will cause severe damage to both you and your camera. For your safety, I recommend that you send it to me immediately.

Seriously....you are in no danger and neither is your camera. Use it and enjoy it. It's a great lens.

Last edited by rayallen; 02-09-2013 at 01:50 AM.
02-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I heard that if you use a radioactive Takumar on anything but a Pentax body and it gets lens fungus, it may mutate and destroy Tokyo! (unless Godzilla stops it, of course)

02-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I heard that if you use a radioactive Takumar on anything but a Pentax body and it gets lens fungus, it may mutate and destroy Tokyo! (unless Godzilla stops it, of course)
02-09-2013, 06:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

If you don't mind the language, here's what was posted on /p/ a month or so ago :

(quoted)>The problem isn't the actual radioactivity of the lens. The real danger comes from the focusing of the radioactive beams straight in your eye through the viewfinder. If I understand correctly, this effect can be very dangerous.

holy [bleep] the retardation. I could actually hear the world's average IQ dropping by ten points while reading that shit.

(quoted)>radioactive MF lenses
dude, you get more radiation from sleeping next to someone than you do from these lens. Stop being a little bitch

(@above)>implying he sleeps next to someone
02-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Not really off topic but maybe a brief detour: three weeks ago an old acquaintance dropped off a box of Pentax stuff. 7 Spotmatic bodies in various states of repair and a couple dozen ST and SMC and Vivitar M42 lenses. I had to put several of the 50's and 55's in the window (alas there was no 35/2 in the box).

There hasn't been a single day of bright sun in three weeks. Now pleae don't reply that UV rays penetrate clouds. I'm talking February blahs here. I need something spring sun - I think I am Vitamin D deficient and so are my lenses.

FWIW, here's a link to a Camerapedia article on Thorium Oxide and camera lenses and another from Oak Ridge associated universities, whatever you might think they are worth.

According to the articles there is some cataract risk after all, but from coated eyepieces, not from coated lenses. You probably have more cataract risk over a lifetime from mowing your lawn every weekend or going to the beach or playing golf. The Oak Ridge article postulates that a serious camera user (30 days a year, 6 hours a day) would absorb measurable radiation, but the Consumer Product Safety Commission was a bit hysterical in 1999. (They should ban stairs in the home, which, according to hospital emergency room event records, are the most dangerous consumer product on Earth).

FWIW, Eastman Kodak appears to have been the big Thorium user.
02-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
If you don't mind the language, here's what was posted on /p/ a month or so ago :

(quoted)>The problem isn't the actual radioactivity of the lens. The real danger comes from the focusing of the radioactive beams straight in your eye through the viewfinder. If I understand correctly, this effect can be very dangerous.

holy [bleep] the retardation. I could actually hear the world's average IQ dropping by ten points while reading that shit.

(quoted)>radioactive MF lenses
dude, you get more radiation from sleeping next to someone than you do from these lens. Stop being a little bitch

(@above)>implying he sleeps next to someone
To be fair, there are thoriated eyepieces, and using them is dangerous to the eyes. But to think that radiation that can hardly be detected from more than 3 inches could somehow be focused through a glass viewfinder...

02-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I can make a scientific case that if you take two SMC Tak lenses and press the rear elements against your corneas for a week, there is over a 90% probability that you don't have any social life.
02-09-2013, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I think I can make a scientific case that if you take two SMC Tak lenses and press the rear elements against your corneas for a week, there is over a 90% probability that you don't have any social life.
There are 50,154 Login ID's I know of that the rest of the world probably thinks don't have a social life either.
02-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There are 50,154 Login ID's I know of that the rest of the world probably thinks don't have a social life either.
And counting.
02-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #12
Site Supporter

As noted above, there is a significant risk from thoriated elements in the eyepieces (ocular) of binoculars, telescopes, and microscopes; but any health risk is very low for the taking lens on your camera. There is also little (no?) risk to your camera.

The main issue is that the radiation causes a yellowing of lens glass over time. This may be cleared by exposure to UV light (many articles on the Web).

Steve

(...is wondering whether a ST 50/1.4 will set off the radiation detectors in airports...)
02-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
(...is wondering whether a ST 50/1.4 will set off the radiation detectors in airports...)
I presently have several on the windowsill. I can send you one if you'd like to carry one through and see <g>
02-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
....I had to put several of the 50's and 55's in the window (alas there was no 35/2 in the box).

There hasn't been a single day of bright sun in three weeks. Now pleae don't reply that UV rays penetrate clouds....
"In the window"? Window glass blocks most UV in the light.

QuoteOriginally posted by iNicole Quote
Can the radiation from the smc takumar 1.4 lens damage my canon t4i?
Yes, it can. That's why you have to put the Canon in the sun to "de-radiate" it too.

If you use the SMC Takumar 1.4, you'll also need to put yourself in the sun, at least once in a while.

You know, babies of photographers, particularly of Pentaxians, have more chance of having jaundice that other babies.

Last edited by SOldBear; 02-09-2013 at 09:59 AM.
02-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I've taken mine through PDX several times and never got a bit of interest. Never thought about it at the time.

Thanks, you have given me one more thing to add to my airport anxiety list.