Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
Forum Member

DA* 16-50 Issue/Nonissue?

Ahh
I was just going over some of my DA* Pics, and I found this little problem with it..
Picture 1. 100% Crop from center.
Picture 2. 100% Crop from the top right

Note, I LOVE how sharp it is in the center (better than my best prime), but the top right leaves something to be desired. Is it just me? or is the lens faulty?

Last edited by ranamar; 03-10-2008 at 07:37 PM.
02-24-2008, 09:42 PM   #2
Forum Member

Couldn't that merely be out of focus? A brick wall might be a better test.
02-24-2008, 09:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

In shot #2, to me it looks like the branches in the same focal plane are sharp - what's out of focus is just the stuff a bit behind the focal plane, which is normal. Do you see something in the same focal plane (ie the exact same distance from the lens as the center focus point) that looks out of focus to you?

To me, it looks OK. I think it's acceptable and a fact of life that there's going to be a *bit of IQ dropoff at the edge of any image, vs. right at center focus.

I'm really impressed by the sharpness at center in your shot. The DA* 16-50 is a lens I'm considering, I have no real fast or semi-fast wide angle...

02-24-2008, 10:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I agree that they seem to just be OOF, you have a lot going on in those pictures. What f-stop were you shooting at?

02-24-2008, 10:23 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies guys,
I took that shot because it was so busy, and it was kind of like a graph.
Buddha - I was shooting at f9.5 on a tripod with a 1/4 sec shutter if I recall correctly.

Info - Ill try that tomorrow when I get home. I for some reason hadn't thought of that.

Jsher - It was really just the top top right inch that scared me. This was in near a creek in my backyard, and all of that brush was pretty much in the same focus point.
02-25-2008, 07:27 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ranamar Quote

Jsher - It was really just the top top right inch that scared me. This was in near a creek in my backyard, and all of that brush was pretty much in the same focus point.

Well, I'd have to say, based on the IQ of that photograph, I'd buy the 16-50!

02-25-2008, 07:39 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I guess its a keeper then!
BTW, if you are looking to buy one, check amazon.com
I got this one from there for 640 w/ 2day express shipping.