Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #31
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2
Joined the DA300 Club last Saturday. Still waiting for the opportunity and weather for real life shots. First test are really very impressive. Fantastic IQ at 4.0, no PF at all....

Got a real mint used lens for a real good price on ebay.

02-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #32
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
QuoteOriginally posted by xipho68 Quote
Joined the DA300 Club last Saturday. Still waiting for the opportunity and weather for real life shots. First test are really very impressive. Fantastic IQ at 4.0, no PF at all....

Got a real mint used lens for a real good price on ebay.
Congrats on the new lens! You don't see them come up used too often.

Same here because of it being winter and all I've not been able to test it out the way I want. My FA*300 4.5 was my most used lens the past year and know that the DA* will be glued to my K-5 once the weather breaks.

We might have to start a club just for the DA*300 since the 300+ lens club has been pretty much taken over by the Sigma 500 4.5........
02-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #33
Veteran Member
joe.penn's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland (Right Outside Washington DC)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,902
Great lens! Love mine, I am in the market for a sigma 300 2.8 Though which would give me a 420 4.0 With a 1.4 tc...
02-13-2013, 06:47 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
baro-nite's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,364
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
I am in the market for a sigma 300 2.8
Adorama has a used one for $2500 IIRC.

Back to the topic, it's no surprise to me to see the DA*300 get all this love. It is truly exceptional. Please, Pentax, make the forthcoming 1.4x SDM TC worthy of this lens!

02-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #35
dbh
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Edmonton
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 404
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Adorama has a used one for $2500 IIRC.

Back to the topic, it's no surprise to me to see the DA*300 get all this love. It is truly exceptional. Please, Pentax, make the forthcoming 1.4x SDM TC worthy of this lens!
Here-here! I have high hopes for that as well.

Since I picked this lens up last weekend I have been bringing it along everywhere. Here is a shot I took at work in the lab.
Close quarters, handheld, and spontaneous:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
02-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #36
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,863
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Don't hate me...but...the DA*200 and DA*300 are perfect together.
They are my new favorite combo.



From the back of an auditorium last night, these two lenses ROCKED!!!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/214949-people-chinese-new-year-2013-a.html


I tried really hard not to hate you and failed.... oh well.
02-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #37
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
We might have to start a club just for the DA*300 since the 300+ lens club has been pretty much taken over by the Sigma 500 4.5........
I know, right?
02-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #38
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,487
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I know, right?
Serious!

02-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #39
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,487
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I tried really hard not to hate you and failed.... oh well.
- I tried.
02-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
baro-nite's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,364
Well, let's spread the hate -- have a look at the lenses in my sig. I've toyed with the idea of selling the 200, but I probably won't.
02-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #41
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,487
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Well, let's spread the hate -- have a look at the lenses in my sig. I've toyed with the idea of selling the 200, but I probably won't.
LOL...There is a reason why there is nothing about my Pentax equipment in my sig line!

I have a "sincere thanks" on Bojidar's page.

Authors of the KMP



Haters - gonna - hate!!!
02-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #42
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,863
I think we are holding out for the FA* 300 4.5, but the price of them used has gotten close to the 300 F4 new, wat wid dat?
02-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
baro-nite's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,364
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I think we are holding out for the FA* 300 4.5, but the price of them used has gotten close to the 300 F4 new, wat wid dat?
Obviously there's demand for the slower formula.

SDM worries, FF compatibility worries (unfounded in this case), would be my guess.
02-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #44
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,863
Hmmm. I think the 300 4.5 is optically a little better, but the noise of that old screw drive when shooting wild life is a real draw back... if anything, the rising price is enabling me to see the advantages of the 300 F4 even more clearly., to the point that if I haven't found a 4.5 within the next month or so for $700 or under (450-500 would be preferable and I'm seeing 950 all the time now) we'll end up with the 300 F4.

Having SDM on my DA*60-250, a screw drive lens has to be awfully good to attract my attention.
02-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #45
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Hmmm. I think the 300 4.5 is optically a little better, but the noise of that old screw drive when shooting wild life is a real draw back... if anything, the rising price is enabling me to see the advantages of the 300 F4 even more clearly., to the point that if I haven't found a 4.5 within the next month or so for $700 or under (450-500 would be preferable and I'm seeing 950 all the time now) we'll end up with the 300 F4.

Having SDM on my DA*60-250, a screw drive lens has to be awfully good to attract my attention.
I have to agree - after using the 60-250 for a while and going back to the FA*300 you certainly notice the screw drive noise - probably a lot more than before I used an SDM lens. Funny that the screw drive sound never bothered me before that. It's going to be very hard to part with my FA* 300, but I certainly can't afford to keep both, so my trusty FA* will have to go up for sale soon........
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Testing my new DA 300-can it get sharper Shanti Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 36 01-15-2013 06:26 AM
Nature Making friends with my new DA 300 Dice Post Your Photos! 9 04-03-2012 08:01 AM
should i upgrade my sigma 70-300 to a da 55-300? indeo Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 02-08-2012 10:11 AM
Focusing my new DA*300 apisto Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 09-17-2009 02:34 PM
my new addition shane Pentax Film SLR Discussion 2 09-10-2007 04:48 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:22 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top