Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I have to agree - after using the 60-250 for a while and going back to the FA*300 you certainly notice the screw drive noise - probably a lot more than before I used an SDM lens. Funny that the screw drive sound never bothered me before that. It's going to be very hard to part with my FA* 300, but I certainly can't afford to keep both, so my trusty FA* will have to go up for sale soon........
Have you completed your IQ comparison already and the FA* lost, or is it just based on AF noise?

02-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Have you completed your IQ comparison already and the FA* lost, or is it just based on AF noise?
After waiting so long to get the DA*, I know myself and will likely sell the FA*. Haven't done any good side by side IQ tests yet - it's cold outside!
02-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #48
Veteran Member

For all you new DA*300 owners who don't already have one, consider picking up a Pentax teleQonverter.

They work great with the DA*300. (See the Q forum for more info.)

02-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #49
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
LOL...There is a reason why there is nothing about my Pentax equipment in my sig line!

I have a "sincere thanks" on Bojidar's page.

Authors of the KMP

Haters - gonna - hate!!!
Wowsers!

In our midst!!

02-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
According to photozone the FA* 300 4.5 is a bit sharper, but the 300 F4 is still excellent.
02-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
According to photozone the FA* 300 4.5 is a bit sharper, but the 300 F4 is still excellent.
To each their own, but I use my eyes to test - not some chart that someone else creates. A chart can't tell me which image I might like better from each lens.
02-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Those tests are on different sensors, and are not comparable.
02-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #53
Pentaxian

So far, if lenses are this close, if you look at the CA numbers, they'll tell you which one will look better. I guess they are just numbers, but if you keep up with them, you notice a pattern. Good CA control is the one thing modern lenses have that is consistently better than older lenses.

02-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Those tests are on different sensors, and are not comparable.
Perhaps not directly comparable, but close enough that if you're really interested in a 300 you should probably consider both of them. YOu can't directly compare the numbers, but you can get an idea of the quality of the lens. Of the lenses I've followed only the 31 ltd. seemed to take a serious hit from being tested on a 16 MP sensor after acing a 10, and it was still very strong. It's an FA too so maybe that's relevant.

Last edited by normhead; 02-13-2013 at 07:35 PM.
02-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #55
Veteran Member

I realize that these charts can be of help. But for me it comes down to what I see in the images on screen and print shooting in my environment and camera. I've spent way too much money doing just that over the past couple years - I need to see for myself and compare different lenses.

My FA* has been my very best in the IQ department and it has been the lens that I have judged all the other lenses I have tried against. I realize the DA* is going to be so very close to equal to the FA* according to what I have seen in images here. That is why, once I get a decently warm day where I can do my usual testing outside, I am going to compare the two on my K-5 shooting like I normally do. My guess is that the two lenses will be so close in IQ that there really won't be a winner, but then the other aspects of each lens will take over in my decision. For me, since I shoot mostly on a tripod, is the dedicated tripod collar and other things like that.
02-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
but then the other aspects of each lens will take over in my decision. For me, since I shoot mostly on a tripod, is the dedicated tripod collar and other things like that.
Don't forget about the weather-sealing of the DA*, that is also a plus...