Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #1

PK lens or not?

I got what I think is this lens on eBay:

Vivitar 100-300 F5.6-6.7 MC MACRO Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

I'm just re-entering this hobby, having bought a k100d body to match my older film equipment, then taking both a beginners and an advanced photography course at our local art museum (Erie Art Museum). Factoring in my age (61), my poor eyesight, and my financial condition (retired city firefighter), my needs are not all that demanding.

So I got this(?) lens cheap, but when I tried it on my Pentax bodies, both old and new, it would insert alright, but will not turn to lock into place. I contacted the seller, he said he thought it was a pk lens because it had a pk rear cap on it. He then refunded my money and told me I could keep the lens, too. So my total investment so far is $0.00.

Can anyone tell me what kind of lens would almost fit my Pentax bodies, but not turn to lock? And is there an adapter or modification so I can use this lens? Obviously, manual focus/exposure isn't at all important to me, I learned old school, before such things were available.

Joe Butoryak
Erie, PA

02-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is it possible to get a photo of the lens mount and share it? That would be the easiest way to tell what it is.
02-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by triggerjerk Quote
... on my Pentax bodies, both old and new, it would insert alright, but will not turn to lock into place.
It can be Nikon mount. I once had several Nikon lenses, and used them with Pentax DSLR bodies. The non-AI Nikon lenses, in particular, fit pretty well (but don't lock, however).

If the lens has "rabbit ears," it's definitely Nikon mount (but many Nikon-mount lenses are without rabbit ears)

The rear cap doesn't say much. A lens with Nikon, Contax (Yashica), or Sigma mount can still use a pK rear cap.
02-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by triggerjerk Quote
And is there an adapter or modification so I can use this lens?
If it is a PK lens then no adapter is needed. Vivitar, as you likely know, has lenses for a number of different camera mounts, so it could be something other than PK. But this is usually marked on the lens somewhere. For Pentax it usually says 'PK' or 'PK/R' or something similar.

One other possibility is that some lenses of that vintage had an aperture guard flange that was longer than the ones on Pentax lenses. And when Pentax brought out the 'Power Zoom' contacts these interfered with the longer flanges.

Post a picture of the mount and it is usually easy to tell what the issue is.

02-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Is it possible to get a photo of the lens mount and share it? That would be the easiest way to tell what it is.

Here you are, hope they're clear enough. Taken 180 deg. apart
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
02-09-2013, 11:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

That isn't a Pentax mount. Its either a Konica or Minolta (I think). If you notice, there is no aperture lever on it and it has a big notch in the metal that a Pentax wouldn't have.
02-09-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It's neither Minolta nor Konica. The notch for the locking tab is in the wrong place. It should be on the other side of the tab for Minolta and in the center for Konica. It is also missing the diaphragm control lever for Minolta.

I see the letter "U" on the mount and what looks like an Auto - Manual switch. I suspect it is a screwmount with a 3rd party screwmount to K adapter on it. The auto diaphragm control pin appears to be missing if this is the case. The slot for the aperture setting lever is in the right place for a screw mount.

See if silver part unscrews.

Last edited by Not a Number; 02-10-2013 at 07:37 AM.
02-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I suspect it is a screwmount with a 3rd party screwmount to K adapter on it.
Except that that is definitely not a K-mount.

Steve

02-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Is it a pre-set lens? Could be Contax/Yashica adapter on a T4 lens.
02-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Yes, possibly Yashica/Contax. Maybe photos of the rest of the lens would help.
02-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Is it a pre-set lens? Could be Contax/Yashica adapter on a T4 lens.
That was my thought.
02-12-2013, 06:21 AM   #12

Original Poster
Back home again

I've been away for a couple of days, but I'm back home now. I appreciate the help, and I'll get some shots of the rest of the lens ASAP.