Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2008, 04:09 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
DA 10-17: First Application

I shot an indoor boat show this weekend exclusively with the Pentax 10-17. I took the 18-55 and assumed that was going to be my primary lens but no. Mostly I wanted to shoot everything at 10 because I was trying to either capture the 'size' of the show or because I was shooting something close (everything is close inside a show). Mostly I only zoomed-in to eliminate some vertical from the edge of the photo. My flash set-up worked great (540FGZ with a Gary Fong Clear Lightsphere on the tripack battery.)

Here's the slideshow. About 10-15% have been 'defished' to some degree in PS and anything with a vertical near the edge has been cropped.

smile-123- powered by SmugMug

02-25-2008, 05:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like the flash setup did work well. The images seem like the light is fairly even across a broad frame. I can't wait till the boats are in the water!!

Tripack battery? Are you referring to the TR3?
02-25-2008, 06:02 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Looks like the flash setup did work well. The images seem like the light is fairly even across a broad frame. I can't wait till the boats are in the water!!

Tripack battery? Are you referring to the TR3?
The flash set-up was really a nice surprise. For most shots I used the Illumisphere straight-up vertical without its end-cap. For the long shots down the aisle I also shot with the 'sphere pointing outward, those usually turned out best.

Tripack? Right, I couldn't think of its name. The TR3 seems highly-priced at $150 but it does the job and its probably a low-volume item for Pentax. At the time I bought it, none of the third party flash battery makers new anything about the 540FGZ and could not guarantee compatibility. I've probably shot over 300 pics with it. I am still on the first set of 6 c-cells and just started seeing the recycle times fall-off. I was tempted to buy rechargable batteries, but it doesn't seem necessary. If I start doing a lot of flash work then I'll step up to a higher capacity rechargable product.

Bonus: (Well, I guess that depends on your point of view) The Gary Fong Illumisphere attracts a lot of attention and proves to be a good ice breaker.
02-25-2008, 08:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Oh yeah the Lightshpere does that. I have one as well and you get puzzled looks.

The TR3, I have a TR2 and have used it with the 540. It works great although Pentax does not recommend this with the 540. There is a difference in voltage output. I think 315v (TR3) to 340v (TR2) don't quote me, that's from memory though.

Anyway the only thing I notice is that the flash goes to 'sleep' after a period of inactivity. I just turn it off and on then start shooting again. Does your TR3 do the same? Or does the flash stay ready to fire no matter how long between shots?

02-25-2008, 10:26 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Oh yeah the Lightshpere does that. I have one as well and you get puzzled looks.

The TR3, I have a TR2 and have used it with the 540. It works great although Pentax does not recommend this with the 540. There is a difference in voltage output. I think 315v (TR3) to 340v (TR2) don't quote me, that's from memory though.

Anyway the only thing I notice is that the flash goes to 'sleep' after a period of inactivity. I just turn it off and on then start shooting again. Does your TR3 do the same? Or does the flash stay ready to fire no matter how long between shots?
That might explain my experience. Periodically it fails to flash even though the light is still on. I assumed that one of the connectors has pulled lose, turn it off, check the connections, turn it on and its fine. Maybe the TR3 has the same quirk. Maybe its a power-saving feature.

I absolutely love the Illumisphere. It works exactly as advertised although it robs you of a lot of lumens. Money well spent. I plan to order the internal reflector for it. I think that will be handy when using it for fill in sunlight.

I checked out your webpage. Prince Edward Island! In would love to go there sometime, maybe in my boat. Beautiful place!
02-25-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

That's interesting, I wonder if others have had the same experience with the TR3?

PEI is very nice and scenic. If you're looking for the "fast lane" this is not the place. But a great vacation spot. Thanks for the comments. I just added another page of images this afternoon.

What type of boat? That would be a fairly long voyage from NJ over some wide open Altlantic Ocean. Drop me a line if you ever come this way.