Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2013, 10:25 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
560mm lens unboxing video

Here's Ole's unboxing video of the new 560mm lens:

Tomorrow we'll be posting some first impressions!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Those "handles" were a nice touch.
02-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That is one big ass piece of glass.
02-11-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I am very surprised it doesn't have a hard case like previous pentax super-telephoto lenses have.I also hope the filter holder is more secure than the one on the FA*600mm f/4.

02-12-2013, 12:20 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I am very surprised it doesn't have a hard case like previous pentax super-telephoto lenses have.
I'd prefer the soft case myself most of the time for short trips, but looking back the times I've used the lens for longer trips......you now need to add $$$ to buy a hard case on top of the $7K for the lens. A lens that long is going to get banged around.
02-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

And I suppose pentax is trying to save you money by not supplying yet another aluminium case with PENTAX in bright letters on all sides - might as well have STEAL ME! written on it.
02-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by FrancisK7 Quote
That is one big ass piece of glass.
Maybe they should add that to the list of designations that lens makers are using to name lenses these days, it would be more useful than some of the others.

Pentax DA 560mm f/5.6 ED AW BAPoG

Also I didn't know that PF had a YouTube channel, good stuff.
02-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Adam, nice of you to give your dad such a present!

02-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Nice video for the vicarious pleasure of opening something I'd never buy. Thanks Adam & Ole!

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
I'd prefer the soft case myself most of the time for short trips, but looking back the times I've used the lens for longer trips......you now need to add $$$ to buy a hard case on top of the $7K for the lens. A lens that long is going to get banged around.
And I suppose pentax is trying to save you money by not supplying yet another aluminium case with PENTAX in bright letters on all sides - might as well have STEAL ME! written on it.
All quite true. How much does a suitably long (but not gun-long) Pelican case cost these days? I replaced some of my "steal me" cases with basic black Peli's specifically for international airport handling. Naturally, the most expensive item I ever traveled with (an $80k scanning panoramic HDR camera) was the one that got banged around and opened the most!
02-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The original Pentax super telephotos just had a plain aluminum trunk with a small metal plate indicating the lens inside. No brazen advertising back then, that started in the 1980's. People just think you are carrying a weapon not a lens!

Phil
02-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I like the soft case, but, and its only a tiny , but, It would have been real nice if Pentax had made that case a little longer so as one could have a body attached to the lens in that case. Other than that, VerY sexy lens.