Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 70-200 f2.8 + 2 X TC anyone?

I'm considering the purchase of a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 plus 2x TC.
It will give me 70 - 200 at f2.8 and 140 - 400 mm range at f 4, without carrying around too much weigth.

Has anyone experience with this combination, or should I consider a different lens?

- Bert

02-25-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
Not Registered

Remember 1.4x=1stop loss and 2x = 2 stop loss. That makes it a 140-400 f5.6 with a big loss of IQ and more than likely lost of autofocus when not shooting wide open. If I were you I wouldnt go longer than 1.4x. But that is just and advice
02-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
It will give me 70 - 200 at f2.8 and 140 - 400 mm range at f 4, without carrying around too much weight.
- Bert
Wouldn't that be rather 140 - 400 mm range at f5.6 than f4, when using a 2X?
02-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Remember 1.4x=1stop loss and 2x = 2 stop loss. That makes it a 140-400 f5.6 with a big loss of IQ and more than likely lost of autofocus when not shooting wide open. If I were you I wouldnt go longer than 1.4x. But that is just and advice
That isn't entirely true IMO. The Sigma 70-200EX works extremely well with the Sigma 2xTC, at least the previous non-macro generation does. IQ is good and autofocus is just fine and f/5.6 is more then enough light to AF (all new lenses AF wide open then stop down when the shot is taken, so it doesn't matter if your fstop is wide open in regards to AF). I think people tend to always regard a huge loss in IQ with a TC but if you start off with great glass you can get more then good results.

I know I always post these when someone brings up the subject so sorry if you've seen them before. There are more examples in my birds gallery on my pbase site.

02-25-2008, 03:45 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Beutiful! I'm still between sigma 70-200 or 100-300 (waiting for the HSM version for my K10D)... The quality of your shots is great (considering it's not a prime with TC) ! Thanks for posting these photos!
02-25-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Boy you sure must have to get close to get shots like that. Do you dress up like a bird or do you use a blind?
I just posted these bird shots from my backyard less than 20 feet away with the Tamron 18-250 with the Tamron 1.4 TC and yours look like your sitting with them in the tree......lol

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/21533-some-yard-birds.html

Beautiful Shots by the way.
02-25-2008, 06:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Boy you sure must have to get close to get shots like that. Do you dress up like a bird or do you use a blind?
hehe I just had an image of me dressed up as a very large bird

The Eagle shot he just happened to be perched in a tree above a road so I walked under it with my tripod and camera and snapped a bunch of photos. The Woodpecker I was walking in a national park and he was just hanging out, the other two where actually taken from our car (so kind of a blind). The national park (Parker River National Wildlife Refuge) here has a 7 mile long road and an abundant number of very interesting birds viewable right from your car or very short walks. If you get lucky you pull over and they won't move on you

Thanks for the comments, it really is a good combo, a little bit on the heavy side (one of the reasons I went with a 400mm prime).

John

02-26-2008, 10:14 AM   #8
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
IQ is good and autofocus is just fine and f/5.6 is more then enough light to AF (all new lenses AF wide open then stop down when the shot is taken, so it doesn't matter if your fstop is wide open in regards to AF).
My apologies to the OP, I always used manual lenses with TC so my experience with AF TC is limited. Thanks for the correction Palmor. As soon as I read your post I realized my mistake. About the loss of quality it is clear by the pictures that you showed than in the right hands that combination can work quite nicely. I have concerns cos one usually tend to use TC with different lenses and the results can be quite dissapointing. Right now, I use a vivitar 2x macro teleconverter and the results varies quite a lot depending on lens and light conditions.
02-26-2008, 04:43 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Sigma APO 70-200 EX F2.8 and have used the 1.4x TC for over 4 years with excellent results. I was lucky enough (or perhaps foresighted enough) to have decided to upgrade my tele zoom when I went digital with my *istD.

I just reciently aquired a sigma DG 2X teleconverter, so I can have more reach with my K10D. I have not used it much but that will change in a few weeks with a trip I have planned.

I will post results when I return. Until then, I can't comment on the 2x when used witht he 70-200, but the 1.4x is excellent. In fact, I am pleased enough with its performance, that the upcoming pentax 300F4 is absolutely no interest to me. (an F2.8 would, however, be a different matter!)

I would expect that when the new sigma 70-200 becomes available, image quality would be at least as good as my present copy.
02-26-2008, 04:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Please do update us on the results when you come back from the trip!

I'm really toned between Tamron and Sigma - Sigma due to HSM, would serve me really well for shooting concerts and stage, Tamron - at that price is a bargain and I've been more than pleased with their products for years!

Regards,
D
02-26-2008, 05:34 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Please do update us on the results when you come back from the trip!

I'm really toned between Tamron and Sigma - Sigma due to HSM, would serve me really well for shooting concerts and stage, Tamron - at that price is a bargain and I've been more than pleased with their products for years!

Regards,
D
No problem.

Note I use the 70-200 without TC for stage performance (mine is not HSM obviously) and it works great for this also. no issue with either the K10 or *istD focusing and keeping up.

Only problem I have ever had with the 70-200 is it is a little TOO long for some venues, and I need to learn to pack my 50mm F1.4 more often.
02-26-2008, 11:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

As long as you can stop the lens down to avoid CA, I wouldn't have a problem with using the 2x TC. I wouldn't use it for anything where high shutter speeds are critical though.
02-28-2008, 04:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I think I'll go for a 70-200 + TC 1.4 + TC 2.0.
The photos convinced me.
Should be able to handle most nature shots without carrying too much weigth.
Now I just need to find the cash...

- Bert
02-28-2008, 04:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Thanks guys, I think I'll go for a 70-200 + TC 1.4 + TC 2.0.
The photos convinced me.
Should be able to handle most nature shots without carrying too much weigth.
Now I just need to find the cash...

- Bert
I don't know if I mentioned this but it is a pretty heavy setup. If you can try a local store even if its with another brand camera to see how how heavy it is (or maybe add the weights of each component you get from an online store and compare it to something you have now). Wouldn't want you to be disappointed with how heavy it can be.

John
02-28-2008, 05:06 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
I don't know if I mentioned this but it is a pretty heavy setup. If you can try a local store even if its with another brand camera to see how how heavy it is (or maybe add the weights of each component you get from an online store and compare it to something you have now). Wouldn't want you to be disappointed with how heavy it can be.

John
Ok, thanks for letting me know.

It is extremely difficult to find the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 over here in a regular shop, guess I need to order it on the Web somewhere. K-mount lenses are no so common.
I'll check the Sigma tech specs first.

- Bert