Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Frustrated with my DA* 60-250

When I first got this lens I was quite happy with it, but in the last 2 months I've opened my camera bag and twice found plastic bits inside of the case the lens came with. Now not only is the lens cap broken and won't stay on, but the ring that the lens hood snaps on to is now broken to the point the lens hood continually gets stuck on the lens. I've taken really good care of this thing and have made absolutely sure to not drop, kick, knock over...etc my bag at all times setting it down gently. I get the feeling that if I bring it up to pentax they will chalk it up to user error/fault, but this thing is a $2,000 hunk of glass :/ Should I even bother contacting them? I still have original proof of purchase, box and bag.

02-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It would be hard to believe that the lens would be self destructing in the bag.
02-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It could be pretty hard convincing the warranty department that you haven't subjected the lens to abuse... those parts don't really just fall apart on their own easily.
02-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #4

Original Poster
That's the crazy part, I (Knock on wood) have not dropped one of my lenses even once, never dropped my camera bag, dropped anything on it, slammed it in a car door...etc. I get that it's only plastic but still. The only thing I can think of is just that sometimes I put it in the bag with the hood on in the storage position which annoys me because it's designed for that lol. I get that it's not detracting from the overall performance of the lens but it's frustrating to fight with the lens hood when I actually need/want to use it. What really annoys me is that as someone who has worked in retail for 5 years, it sounds like I'm just whining like the customers I hate who blame everyone but themselves for a product getting messed up (IE their kid rubbed up against a fence and the coat got torn open...obviously it's the coat's fault right?) but I make darn sure I take care of this stuff. You get what you pay for and it will only treat you as well as you treat it.

02-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Do you have kids (I know from experience that they can be destructive)? Or someone else that knocked the bag off a table when you were not looking or something?

I agree parts don't fall to pieces on their own usually - unless they were cracked when you the lens?

BTW - really sorry to hear this happened to you - thats a nice lens and I hope to own one someday myself.
02-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #6

You sure you aren't using it as a hammer?
02-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #7
Banned

Did you purchase accidental damage warranty from Squaretrade or other companies?
02-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
when I bought my 50-135, the hood was cross threaded on the lens causing cracks on the threads. it sounds exactly what is happening to your lens. Fortunately I caught it and had the lens exchanged. But accidentally cross threading the hood may be at fault. I'm not saying you or the facotry did it....

02-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Thanks for the warning - just checked out mine. It seems solid like a tank. It is a heavy lens. Maybe someone dropped your bag for you. if they did they aren't going to own up.
02-13-2013, 01:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I also had the problem with a 50-135. The 'threads' on the hood are very weak and are easily broken. If your lens is on it's side in your camera bag that might be enough to cause the problem, exerting sideways pressure on the hood threads.

I use Lowepro bags where all the lenses are stored end down, so the weight of the lens is not in any way exerted on the hood thread. Not had any problems

Last edited by JohnX; 02-13-2013 at 01:22 AM.
02-13-2013, 01:22 AM   #11

You have nothing to lose by contacting them. Call and explain the situation. At worst they'll just say they can't help you.
02-13-2013, 07:06 AM   #12

Original Poster
No kids :P Unless you count coworkers as kids. I have 2 bags that I use, one is a Tamrac Evolution 8 which is a backpack and generally carries the big lens on its side, and the other is a Think Tank Retrospective 10 that I've pretty much used since I bought it in September which carries everything upright. I also store the lenses rear side down so the lens caps and hoods aren't always hitting the ground or hitting other objects since the bottom isn't super padded or anything. It could just be a freak accident, but I can definitely swear that as long as it has been in my sight or possession I've taken damn good care of it,
02-13-2013, 07:30 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
I also had the problem with a 50-135. The 'threads' on the hood are very weak and are easily broken. If your lens is on it's side in your camera bag that might be enough to cause the problem, exerting sideways pressure on the hood threads.

I use Lowepro bags where all the lenses are stored end down, so the weight of the lens is not in any way exerted on the hood thread. Not had any problems
I had a similar problem with the hood for the DA*300mm. It kept cross-threading until I figured out that hood had to be threaded much more carefully and precisely than on the consumer-graded lenses. Fortunately I figured it out before parts cracked or broke. Although the hoods on this series of lenses are a lot tougher than on the consumer-grade series, they are unnecessarily difficult to thread.
02-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Send a letter to Pentax quality control. I would assume the letter will be returned as no such department appears to exist...
Besides that, you problem sounds like a user problem, BUT Pentax should still try to make people happy.