Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2013, 02:25 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
might be a silly question

i recently bought a k5 silver edition ( haven't received it yet) it comes with a PENTAX-DA 40mm F2.8 XS lens which pretty excited for, but does it replace the traditional 18-55 mm lens that comes with virtually every slr camera? you would you still buy a 18-55 mm lens? i have a white one that came with my kx but its white and it might look silly on this silver k5 and im all about presentation as much as function.
thanks everyone -josh-

02-13-2013, 02:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A DA 18-55, of whatever color,
gives you cheap entry into the wide angle range.

I'll leave you to make your own fashion choices.

BTW, what color is the DA 40 XS?

Even in Europe, where the silver K-01 was available,
it came with a black DA 40 XS:

Pentax K-01 + DA 40 XS srebrny - Aparaty cyfrowe - Foto - Sklep internetowy Cyfrowe.pl
02-13-2013, 02:43 AM   #3
Banned

This question is confusing.

The 40 XS is what the camera is supplied with and not an 18-55, so yes, it is a replacement for it in terms of what they are selling, which you elected to buy. You can certainly buy an 18-55 kit or go to ebay and buy the kit lens for a steal.

Why, I don't know. I'd rather have the better optical item, which is the DA40XS.

It's not about what we would do- it's about what YOU, yourself, wants to do. If you feel the kit lens is needed, go and buy it, but use the 40 first, rewire yourself, and see where it takes you.

Again, the opinion of others won't help you with your needs. You have to determine your needs internally.

Receive the camera first and use it.
02-13-2013, 03:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by josh_smith77073 Quote
i recently bought a k5 silver edition ( haven't received it yet) it comes with a PENTAX-DA 40mm F2.8 XS lens which pretty excited for, 1) but does it replace the traditional 18-55 mm lens that comes with virtually every slr camera? 2) you would you still buy a 18-55 mm lens? I have a white one that came with my kx but its white and it might look silly on this silver k5 and im all about presentation as much as function.
thanks everyone -josh-
1) No, a fixed focal length ('prime') lens will never replace a zoom, (or vice versa). In your case, you will miss the wider (smaller focal length) settings - that is, if you ever need them, which I think you will.

2) The "traditional" 18-55 lens from Pentax is'nt exactly "exciting" or "terrific" but it is actually better than most such kit lenses. By all means, If you buy one, choose the weather resistant (WR) variant, However, since you already have one 18-55 kit lens, why not try it out on your K-5 first to see, if it satisfies your needs? Chances are that you might want to save up first for semething better. If I were you, I would take a closer look at the Pentax 18-135 mm WR lens. It is indeed a more expensive choice, but also a much more versatile one.

Last edited by Stone G.; 02-13-2013 at 03:06 AM.
02-13-2013, 03:07 AM   #5
Banned

op- what shooting modes and settings are you using? THis might help determine what you're looking for here as an answer.

I fail to understand the question- you say you have the lens, so put it on and use it whenever you get the K-5? If you don't like it, you don't have to use it?
02-13-2013, 03:11 AM   #6
Site Supporter

im all about presentation
If you were comfortable with the white 18-55, get a black WR one, or you can go this route SMC Pentax-FA* 28-70mm F2.8 AL Reviews - FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
02-13-2013, 03:14 AM   #7

Original Poster
@ snake so sorry for the confusion here. in regards to the 40 xs lens physically replacing the18-55mm lens is obvious. yes i can certainly buy a 18-55 mm lens, but my question is would it be a pointless purchase? will my 40 xs be better, as good or perhaps less for everyday typical random shooting like the 18-55 mm lens is made for? snake youre right, im defiantly going to use the 40 xs tons, and i WAS going to go ahead a buy a 18-55mm lens but i stopped and decided to come here and get some advice before making that purchase. i certainly dont want buy one if i dont have to which is why i was asking in a general way "would you buy the 18-55 lens?" i'd like to hear everyone's personal opinion. it would help me from clicking the "buy it now" button
02-13-2013, 03:30 AM   #8
Pentaxian

i WAS going to go ahead a buy a 18-55mm lens but i stopped and decided to come here and get some advice before making that purchase. i certainly dont want buy one if i dont have to which is why i was asking in a general way "would you buy the 18-55 lens?" i'd like to hear everyone's personal opinion. it would help me from clicking the "buy it now" button
OK, I wouldn't bother to buy a second copy of the DA 18-55.
Go ahead and use the one you've got (for wide angle),
along with the DA 40 XS.
The DA 40 XS will certainly give you better IQ
than the longer end of the DA 18-55.

02-13-2013, 03:53 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
A DA 18-55, of whatever color,
gives you cheap entry into the wide angle range.

I'll leave you to make your own fashion choices.

BTW, what color is the DA 40 XS?

Even in Europe, where the silver K-01 was available,
it came with a black DA 40 XS:

Pentax K-01 + DA 40 XS srebrny - Aparaty cyfrowe - Foto - Sklep internetowy Cyfrowe.pl
@ lytrytyr that is a very good question. and i have been wondering myself. the picture thats used for the ad is the standard k5 silver edition photo you see every where, but the actual description in the ad from my camera seller states:

"This special-edition model is finished in a silver color scheme, a design feature requested by many devoted users. The silver tone is meticulously matched with the silver color finish of the high-performance PENTAX FA-Limited interchangeable lens series, and that of the special-edition DA-Limited Silver-series lenses."

it also reads this in the accessories description: "SMC PENTAX-DA 40mmF2.8 XS Silver Lens." but like i said the pic in the ad is not mine specifically. my camera is supposed to be unopened & BNIB. but when you order from over seas its a fingers crossed, hope its true situation. -josh-
02-13-2013, 04:12 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
1) No, a fixed focal length ('prime') lens will never replace a zoom, (or vice versa). In your case, you will miss the wider (smaller focal length) settings - that is, if you ever need them, which I think you will.

2) The "traditional" 18-55 lens from Pentax is'nt exactly "exciting" or "terrific" but it is actually better than most such kit lenses. By all means, If you buy one, choose the weather resistant (WR) variant, However, since you already have one 18-55 kit lens, why not try it out on your K-5 first to see, if it satisfies your needs? Chances are that you might want to save up first for semething better. If I were you, I would take a closer look at the Pentax 18-135 mm WR lens. It is indeed a more expensive choice, but also a much more versatile one.
@ Stone G, you hit the nail on the head when you said "18-55 lens from Pentax is'nt exactly "exciting" or "terrific" but it is actually better than most such kit lenses." which is why i come here before making the purchase. i have been looking at the 18-135 mm lens but what ever lenses im going buy for my k5 will be WR if theirs that option. i also didnt know that the 40 xs was a prime lens. some how i over looked that in a major way. tho it would makes sense, after all its so tiny how could it zoom.
this is exactly the kind of reply i was asking for
02-13-2013, 04:18 AM   #11
Pentaxian

"This special-edition model is finished in a silver color scheme, a design feature requested by many devoted users. The silver tone is meticulously matched with the silver color finish of the high-performance PENTAX FA-Limited interchangeable lens series, and that of the special-edition DA-Limited Silver-series lenses."

it also reads this in the accessories description: "SMC PENTAX-DA 40mmF2.8 XS Silver Lens."
Interesting.

I do recall this picture:

Pentax releases second silver K-5 limited edition, adding slimline 40mm F2.8: Digital Photography Review

which might be your package.
02-13-2013, 05:39 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Congrats on buying that awesome camera! If I were you, I would skip the 18-55 lens and maybe buy the 16-45. Usually people only use the 18-55 because it came with the camera. Or because they buy the WR version so they have a WR system (both lens and camera need to be WR). So if you are thinking of buying the 18-55, make sure it is WR.
The 40mm XS is a great lens, though, very sharp, very fast AF. And the silver version is rare and looks really cool.
02-13-2013, 05:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I don't see one important question in all these responses: What other lenses do you have?

If you don't have anything below 40mm other than the 18-55 and you don't want White (I can understand why) then sell the 18-55 in white, use that money toward an 18-55 WR (which only come in black as I recall). Then you will have two things that the 40mm doesn't give you - wider reach and Water Resistance. If you have more money then there are some higher priced zooms in the wide to normal range like the 18-55 that have better IQ. If you are interested in those then this comparison review article has lots of good information to consider:
DA* 16-50mm vs. Sigma and Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 Comparison - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
02-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
@lytryr thats the exact picture that is shown in the advert. and it looks like it just has a chrome bezel where the finger grips are.
02-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I don't see one important question in all these responses: What other lenses do you have?

If you don't have anything below 40mm other than the 18-55 and you don't want White (I can understand why) then sell the 18-55 in white, use that money toward an 18-55 WR (which only come in black as I recall). Then you will have two things that the 40mm doesn't give you - wider reach and Water Resistance. If you have more money then there are some higher priced zooms in the wide to normal range like the 18-55 that have better IQ. If you are interested in those then this comparison review article has lots of good information to consider:
DA* 16-50mm vs. Sigma and Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 Comparison - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
@Docrwm i dont want to sale the white lens because it belongs to my kx. i plan on keeping my kx for a while. its an emotional attachment thing. as far as lenses go i have a
Pentax-m 50mm f1.7 SMC Asahi wich im obsessed with, a pentax 75-300mm, a rikenon 35-70 lens which im not too pleased with. the 18-55mm kx lens and some other asahi primes.