Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2013, 05:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lenses and noise

I know that noise is a sensor sensitivity property, but I can't help feeling that some lenses tend to produce noisier images. Maybe its just because they are slower or something, but has anyone else noticed this? With some lenses I notice noise even at ISO 100. To me, some lenses just appear to show more noise than others.Or am I just confusing "low resolution" with "noise"?

02-13-2013, 06:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Noise is a property of signal. If a lens does not transmit a lot of signal, the sensor will generate noise.

This, if a lens normally exposes darker, it will show noise.
02-13-2013, 06:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
With some lenses I notice noise even at ISO 100.
In which areas of the image?

I do have the impression that some lenses produce a grainier-looking bokeh.
02-13-2013, 06:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have gotten this impression too and even had a thread about it a year or two ago. I felt like my DA 35/2.4 produced cleaner images than my 18-55 kit lens. When I actually did some comparison shots of the same scene at higher ISOs, I found there to be no real practical difference in noise. So the perception was either it was all in my head, or more lkely, a matter of shooting different types of photos with the two lenses. I imagine it was related to what JinDesu suggested regarding exposure.

02-13-2013, 06:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In my experience, noise is the same across lens. The only difference that you might see is that given the same ISO, the amount of darks in the scene will affect the degree of the grain. If you shoot in darker conditions (lots of shadows) the noise in the shadows will be greater than in the highlights. On the other hand, if you are outdoors and lighting is dark but uniform, if you expose properly so that you dont have extreme shadows, even though the ISO remained unchanged the noise will appear to be less extreme.
02-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
So the perception was either it was all in my head, or more lkely, a matter of shooting different types of photos with the two lenses. I imagine it was related to what JinDesu suggested regarding exposure.
Yeah, I guess so.
And yes, noise usually shows up in the dark parts. Its impossible to always "expose to the right."
02-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Lenses and noise
Mine are all pretty quiet, but then I always manual focus.

02-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #8

Lenses with more flare can have a washed-out look that is similar to higher noise.
02-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I find that I can bump the iso a bit higher on my DA*300 compared to the older manual Tamron adaptall 300 and 400's. With my 400 f4 I wouldn't dare go higher than iso 320, but with the DA I can get similar results to 800 or so. Not sure why, maybe there is more resolution and detail available for the noise reduction algorithms to work with.