Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My 16-50 went to Japan, now it's coming back!

As with most of the SDM stories, my 16-50 started great. It started acting weird so I sent it to the local Pentax. They basically performed an adjustment and cleaning. If worked ok but then after a year it started acting up again. I successfully unjammed the SDM once on my 16-50 it worked for a few months but finally I was annoyed of the unreliability of the AF system. Finally, I decided to send it to CRIS for repairs. They got it in December and started working on it. Quickly they told me that the repairs needed were only possible in Japan, so after a $60 shipping fee, it went. By January I got the estimate...$240. So I said yes. Just a few days ago I got the email that my lens was ready and got the grand total. But first, here's what was replaced:

"REPLACED COVER FRAME
REPLACED ZOOM RING
REPLACED CAM RING
REPLACED JOINT RING
REPLACED EXTERNAL PARTS
REPLACED MOTOR
REPLACED PC BOARD
ADJUSTED TO MANUFACTURERS SPECIFICATIONS
GENERAL CHECK AND CLEAN"

The total cost was $332, which I find acceptable because it looks like a lot of replaced parts! and of course, if it works perfectly then I'll be happy with the investment! The lens is scheduled to arrive next week but I will be able to use it by the end of the month (because I had it ship to a Miami address instead to Costa Rica). Once I'll get it I'll let you know how it turned out. I just wanted to share my excitement to get my precious zoom back again!

02-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Wow, sounds like the replaced nearly everything except the actual lenses!
02-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
Banned

Photos: Albums
How old was the lens? Better yet how frequently was it used?

Would you state that the lens was well cared for and almost babied, or used more on a professional level basis in all types of enviroments?
02-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
Banned

If this was a fluke and not part of a trend, I'd find the "acceptable" part easier to swallow, but this is certainly part of a trend and not only that, these are supposedly pro lenses.

02-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
How old was the lens? Better yet how frequently was it used?

Would you state that the lens was well cared for and almost babied, or used more on a professional level basis in all types of enviroments?
I bought the lens in December 2009. Got it from a sale at Ritz.com, for the amazing price of $611. I don't recall if it was a refurbished or display item. I did use it quite frequently, maybe a lot, and it got wet and very dirty. This is actually the lens that I used for taking the picture of the underwater swimmers. I also used this lens for motocross shots (tons of dust), and aerial photography.
02-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Given the number of SDM complaints on this forum, I wouldn't find anything above $0 acceptable. But I'm glad that it's fixed and you're happy. I'll be curious to hear of its long-term reliability.
02-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #7

Original Poster
Given the price that I bought it for plus the service, I'm still getting a good deal. It's true that this should not happen as often as we are finding out here with all the SDM problems, at the current price of the lens I would expect a professional grade lens, service, warranty and QA.
As soon as I'lll get my lens it's gonna go into heavy shooting again. I'll let you know if it develops any problems.

02-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CRPhoto Quote
Given the price that I bought it for plus the service, I'm still getting a good deal. It's true that this should not happen as often as we are finding out here with all the SDM problems, at the current price of the lens I would expect a professional grade lens, service, warranty and QA.
As soon as I'lll get my lens it's gonna go into heavy shooting again. I'll let you know if it develops any problems.
Wow, I just started looking into replacing a 28 - 70 2.8 Sigma lens and considered the Pentax 16 - 50. I didn't realize they were known for having problems. That's kind of discouraging when looking at the amount I was considering dropping on a new one. Wondering if I should consider a better version of a Sigma or a Tamron instead then? Will be anxious to hear how it works when you get it back. Hope you don't have any more problems with it.
02-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BethC Quote
Wow, I just started looking into replacing a 28 - 70 2.8 Sigma lens and considered the Pentax 16 - 50. I didn't realize they were known for having problems. That's kind of discouraging when looking at the amount I was considering dropping on a new one. Wondering if I should consider a better version of a Sigma or a Tamron instead then? Will be anxious to hear how it works when you get it back. Hope you don't have any more problems with it.
The price of the DA*16-50 is ridiculous now since April1 2012. Before that the street price was $799.95. In one day it jumped to $1499.95. If you are interested in a new one, you'll need to wait for specials that come up once in a while. There was a special over Thanksgiving weekend where the lens was $749.

And about the SDM issue - there are a lot of SDM haters in this forum. Yes, there have been many cases of SDM failure through the years, but as in most forum discussions, you always hear about the bad and rarely the good. People who don't have any problems with something will rarely come and post and say "hey, my lens has been great". What you see is people who will search out a forum like this just to vent their frustrations.

That being said, the SDM issue on these lenses has supposedly been addressed with the newest manufacturing batches. I'm saying all this because I don't want you to pass up on a fantastic lens just because of some naysayers. Personally, I bought a 16-50 used about 6 months ago for a good price and it's never given me a problem. It's a great lens that I feel Sigma and Tamron can't equal in the overall rendering.
02-15-2013, 12:24 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
The price of the DA*16-50 is ridiculous now since April1 2012. Before that the street price was $799.95. In one day it jumped to $1499.95. If you are interested in a new one, you'll need to wait for specials that come up once in a while. There was a special over Thanksgiving weekend where the lens was $749.

And about the SDM issue - there are a lot of SDM haters in this forum. Yes, there have been many cases of SDM failure through the years, but as in most forum discussions, you always hear about the bad and rarely the good. People who don't have any problems with something will rarely come and post and say "hey, my lens has been great". What you see is people who will search out a forum like this just to vent their frustrations.

That being said, the SDM issue on these lenses has supposedly been addressed with the newest manufacturing batches. I'm saying all this because I don't want you to pass up on a fantastic lens just because of some naysayers. Personally, I bought a 16-50 used about 6 months ago for a good price and it's never given me a problem. It's a great lens that I feel Sigma and Tamron can't equal in the overall rendering.
We've been told that every year. There are failures still being reported from new lenses and newly repaired lenses in other forums with other languages.
02-15-2013, 12:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
We've been told that every year. There are failures still being reported from new lenses and newly repaired lenses in other forums with other languages.
Well I only speak English so I wouldn't know about failures in other forums in other languages. I don't buy lenses from other countries either where I don't speak the language.
02-15-2013, 12:56 AM   #12
Forum Member

haha very funny..

I guess I should get a sigma17-50 as walk around lens
02-15-2013, 01:20 AM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Well I only speak English so I wouldn't know about failures in other forums in other languages. I don't buy lenses from other countries either where I don't speak the language.
You technically are, since Pentax is Japanese (and the lenses are made in even further away countries).

Also, since the engineer that was discussing the failures of SDM was German, and I'm discussing the German forums, in particular (with a nod to the French ones), you have selected to take information that was posted on this forum from "other languages", which Pentax DE/CH/AT scrambled to pass off as a language barrier/lost in translation problem.
02-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
You technically are, since Pentax is Japanese (and the lenses are made in even further away countries).

Also, since the engineer that was discussing the failures of SDM was German, and I'm discussing the German forums, in particular (with a nod to the French ones), you have selected to take information that was posted on this forum from "other languages", which Pentax DE/CH/AT scrambled to pass off as a language barrier/lost in translation problem.
If you came here just to argue, go find someone else.

Last edited by stormtech; 02-15-2013 at 06:35 AM.
02-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #15
Banned

There was no argument.