Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #1

Carl Zeiss Distagon 25mm vs 28mm vs 35mm

I am trying to decide between those three
1) 25mm F2.8 - price: 700$
2) 28mm F2 price:900$
3) 35mm F2 price: 700$

from reviews and pictures I think 35 is the best but it is manual focus. I did not like 28mm from the pictures I saw, but I dont know why it is the most expensive one. So basically I'm in between 25 and 35. What would you suggest day landscape and close up animal, food shooting (not insects, flowers) for best colors, contrast and sharpness.

02-14-2013, 12:13 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forum!

You also have several other choices available. First, they are all manual focus. There are no auto focus Zeiss lenses available for the Pentax K mount. I have the Zeiss 25/f2.8 ZK, and also the Contax Zeiss 28/f2.8 and 85/f2.8. Zeiss use to have their own camera brand - Contax. They stopped production in 2005. Its a long story, but the short version is that the Zeiss C/Y mount is very close to the Pentax K mount (and yet another story), so that you can swap mounts on the Contax lenses with kits from Leitax.com. Bottom line is that you can buy a 28/2.8 for about $300, a mount kit from Leitax for about $100 and swap the mount yourself or have Eric do it for about $50, which is about half the price of a new Zeiss lens (yes, the new Zeiss is faster at f2, and does have auto aperture). The process is reverseable.

My 25/2.8 ZK is a great piece of glass. The construction is twice that of the Pentax Limiteds. Its nothing but metal and glass and its very heavy. It offers what I'll call close focus - with its minimum focus distance of 6" and its focus throw is 355 degrees - with 180 degrees of it between 6" and 12".

The Contax lenses are also wonderful examples of glass. Their build is equal to the Limiteds - metal and glass.Zeiss produced an entire line of Contax lenses. They come in 2 versions, the earlier AE and the later MM. The MM version is modifiable to the Pentax K mount. These lenses are sought after by the Canon folks. Since Nikon has a longer registration distance (distance between the sensor and the lens mount on the camera body), Nikon is unable to use these lenses.Also, this thread might be of interest. The K 28/2 is the same lens as the Zeiss 28/2 due to a cooperative effort between Zeiss and Pentax. Its rumored that Zeiss helped Pentax design the K mount (which is why it's very close to the C/Y mount). Also, that Pentax traded their SMC coating technology to Zeiss which then came out with their T* coating.As to the current line of Zeiss glass, Zeiss has stopped selling the ZK (Pentax K mount) as of about 2 years ago. So what you are finding is what is left on the retailer's shelf. They stopped because Pentax did not have a FF body that was able to fully utilize their full frame glass. With the rumors of the Pentax FF body, they may start selling the ZK line again - who knows.

I really have not used the 28ZK nor the 35ZK so I can't comment on those lenses. The 35mm is held in very high regard as well as the 18mm and especially the 21mm, which is suppose to be unmatched.

Last edited by interested_observer; 02-14-2013 at 12:19 AM.
02-14-2013, 12:20 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxnood Quote
I am trying to decide between those three
1) 25mm F2.8 - price: 700$
2) 28mm F2 price:900$
3) 35mm F2 price: 700$

from reviews and pictures I think 35 is the best but it is manual focus.
They're all manual focus.

I have the 25 and the 35.
Both are easy to focus manually,
since both have good central sharpness wide open.

I did not like 28mm from the pictures I saw, but I dont know why it is the most expensive one.
It does have a more complex construction (floating elements) than the 25/2.8,
but so does the 35/2.

So basically I'm in between 25 and 35. What would you suggest day landscape and close up animal, food shooting (not insects, flowers) for best colors, contrast and sharpness.
If you want sharpness across a flat frame close up (for the food),
as well as for landscape,
then the 35/2 will serve you better.
02-14-2013, 12:40 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Welcome to the Forum!
As to the current line of Zeiss glass, Zeiss has stopped selling the ZK (Pentax K mount) as of about 2 years ago. So what you are finding is what is left on the retailer's shelf. They stopped because Pentax did not have a FF body that was able to fully utilize their full frame glass. With the rumors of the Pentax FF body, they may start selling the ZK line again - who knows.
I was gonna ask about that too. Since they are not being produced, they may be more expensive in the near future right? I am not experienced about lens market, but I got a good deal that will end soon. Maybe I should buy without waiting.

02-14-2013, 01:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I was gonna ask about that too. Since they are not being produced, they may be more expensive in the near future right? I am not experienced about lens market, but I got a good deal that will end soon. Maybe I should buy without waiting.
There are two factors that may inhibit a big rise in the prices of used ZK lenses:
The popularity of the Limited lenses,
and a tendency of many Pentax users to look for low-cost solutions.

If you have the option to buy ZK lenses at a reasonable price,
buy them to use, not to collect.

It is unfortunate that the K-mount version of the Z* lenses has been discontinued,
since in many ways, Pentax offers the best platform for them:
aperture automation, focus confirmation, image stabilization.
Sure, there's no FF, but the ZK 25/2.8, for example,
is much better on APS-C than on FF.
02-14-2013, 01:11 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
If you have the option to buy ZK lenses at a reasonable price,
buy them to use, not to collect.
It was last August I was planning to buy a new Pentax K-5. The retail price was around 750$ for body. I did not buy as I was about to go to a overseas trip, I planned to buy after I come from the trip. After I came in about 10 days, Pentax announced that K-5 was discontinued, and the price jumped to 950$. So even cheapest 2nd hand prices went to around 750$. Thus I waited more than two months to get a Pentax K-5 for a decent price.

So retailers do the black-market, and I was asking so that I dont face a similar situation again.
02-14-2013, 01:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

So retailers do the black-market, and I was asking so that I dont face a similar situation again.
The ZK lenses were discontinued a couple of years ago, now,
so there shouldn't be any danger of a sudden price blip like that.

02-14-2013, 03:49 AM   #8
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a Zeiss ZK 35mm f2 which I use on my K5. It is a stunning piece of glass, and what can be achieved with it is impressive. In particular the micro contrast detail has to be seen.

You will not be disappointed with the ZK 35/2. I don't own the others you mention, so can't comment on them.

A few examples from the ZK 35/2 on the K5 if you are interested Zenfolio | Ross Waugh's Photographs | Zeiss ZK 35mm f2

Cheers

Ross

Last edited by NZ_Ross; 02-14-2013 at 10:55 AM.
02-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I own the 35/2 ZK, and I can only highly recommend it. It's phenomenal, extremely sharp wide-open, and more compact than the 35/1.4 variants.
02-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have the ZK 35/2 and used to have an M35/F2 as well. For most daily shooting and use, I could not tell the images apart. The M35 was stuck wide open, so I felt a little better about parting with it, although it performed beautifully. I have no complaints about the ZK35. Yes, its a little heavy, but sees a lot of use. In fact, it hardly comes off my K5. When Pentax eventually comes out with a FF camera, I will pair it with my ZK35/2, ZK 85/1.4 and Nokton 58/1.4....

Just biding my time, and enjoying the views.
02-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
from reviews and pictures I think 35 is the best
Yes, but--what is best for you?

There's a great deal of FOV difference between these lenses. Which focal length best satisfies your shooting style? That's how you should determine the "best" of these lenses.
02-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
for landscapes i would go with zeiss 25, which is actually quite nice focal lenght and has a close focus feature on top........
in regards of iq difference between zk35 and zk25...i suppose most of people here would have hard time to spot it just by looking at the photos
sure pixelpeeping shots of test charts will show you which is the superior lens, but then we dont buy lenses for shooting tests charts.....mostly
choose tha focal lenght and speed that suits you...
02-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Welcome to the Forum!

Zeiss use to have their own camera brand - Contax. They stopped production in 2005.
Wrong: Kyocera still holds rights to the name of Contax, but lenses were provided by Zeiss. And the current Zeiss lens line up is based on these lenses, but most of them were improved.

Honestly if someone does not get the difference between 25, 28, 35 and different f-stops, we should provide more basic information and ask more basic questions. All Zeiss wide angles are designed for full frame cameras - meaining the image circle is overdesigned for an APS size Pentax sensor. Expecially for wide angle lenses this results in degradation of image quality of excessive distortion. I would not recommend a Zeiss wide angle lens for Pentax. Do not assume superior results just because you a lens branded Zeiss.

DA 21 and 35 are really decent lenses to start with, the Zeiss lenses are much heavier, more expensive and have little advantage in any regard. The 50&100 macro lenses may be worth thinking about, but that is basiclly it in Pentax land.
02-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
All Zeiss wide angles are designed for full frame cameras - meaining the image circle is overdesigned for an APS size Pentax sensor.
I do not think that this comment is particularly relevant to consideration of the ZK 25/2.8,
which makes an excellent lens for APS-C at an important focal length that Pentax has neglected.
On full frame, the lens has wave distortion (hard to correct) and weak edges.

Expecially for wide angle lenses this results in degradation of image quality of excessive distortion.
Sorry, I have no idea what this means.

Do not assume superior results just because you a lens branded Zeiss.

DA 21 and 35 are really decent lenses to start with, the Zeiss lenses are much heavier, more expensive and have little advantage in any regard.
I don't know the DA 21, so I won't speak to that.
I do have the DA 35 Ltd and the ZK 35/2.
Both lenses have their own, attractive, and very distinct rendering style.
Hard to describe in words, maybe "sunny" for the Zeiss and "ominous" for the DA Limited.
Beyond that, the Zeiss lens is better for covering the range from f/2 to f/4,
while the DA Limited gives true macro at a relatively wide angle.

Last edited by lytrytyr; 02-14-2013 at 01:13 PM.
02-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #15
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I don't know the DA 21, so I won't speak to that.
I do have the DA 35 Ltd and the ZK 35/2.
Both lenses have their own, attractive, and very distinct rendering style.
Hard to describe in words, maybe "sunny" for the Zeiss and "ominous" for the DA Limited.
Beyond that, the Zeiss lens is better for covering the range from f/2 to f/4,
while the DA Limited gives true macro at a relatively wide angle.
I also have the DA 35 Ltd and the ZK 35/2 and would agree with these comments - they are both excellent lenses, but quite different in what they give you.

I also have a DA 21 Ltd, and it is different again from both the 35's - as other posters have noted it is all about the style of photography you have, and what you want to shoot - then picking the most appropriate lens based on this information and your budget. I am very happy with all 3 lenses, and use them all differently.