Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Wrong: Kyocera still holds rights to the name of Contax, but lenses were provided by Zeiss. And the current Zeiss lens line up is based on these lenses, but most of them were improved.
QuoteQuote:
Contax is originally the name of the famed 35mm rangefinder camera made from 1932 by Zeiss Ikon (see Contax rangefinder), which subsequently became the name of a pioneering single-lens reflex camera made from 1947 by the Eastern part of Zeiss Ikon (see Contax S).

In 1973 the Contax name was licensed to the Japanese maker Yashica by Carl Zeiss to create a prestigious brand of 35mm cameras and interchangeable Yashica / Contax lenses in cooperation with the German company.
from Camerapedia

Its been written that the license reverted back to Zeiss when production ceased - but what the agreement actually says - I don''t know. However, that isn't the issue currently at hand.

Zeiss has 3 lenses, the 25/2.8, 28/2 and 35/2 in the ZK model that the OP has inquired about. The retail stores have been pretty consistent in their new product pricing. In terms of supply availability - who knows. It does not look like the lenses are running out the door. I do see sales - and look at the folks that responded to this thread, with the lenses (ZKs) that they have. I would think that when the Pentax FF comes out (year or so??), there would probably be a spike in demand, since FF will probably demand the best quality in lenses. That is what happened with the Nikon D800/800e. Nikon advised that the premium Nikor glass would produce the best results - along with Zeiss.

For after market pricing, you really have to look. I have found ZK infrequently on Craigslist, both used and old new stock on evilbay, and also periodically here on the Marketplace. The prices have varied. I think I remember running across a 25/2.8 here for something like $500, which I thought was low and priced to sell quickly. Who ever purchased it I think received a deal. The price here depends on demand, who is looking (at any given time) and what they are willing to pay, along with how long the seller wants to look for an interested buyer at the price. Also, if the buyer in interested in used or just new.

I offered up the potential of the older Contax line of lenses. Yes, a slightly earlier design, with slightly slower apertures, but still exceptional image quality, for a reduced price. This approach also takes a bit more time and work - finding and buying a lens, getting the mount, and remounting the lens.

There is a large difference in the range of focal lengths, with the 25 being much wider than the 35 and the 28 in the middle. In that the 28 focal length does not do much for the OP, its easily the choice between the 25 and 35. For me, its what focal length would the OP get the most use and enjoyment out of. What focal length does he need the most.

Personally, I went the Contax route and am very happy. I received an unexpected bonus and promotion at work and splurged a bit on something that I would normally not buy - the 25/2.8 ZK. Both the ZK and Contaxs are exceptional pieces of glass, take great images, but are all manual, and none report on the image's EXIF meta data. The ZKs are way over built and will easily last several lifetimes. Their handling is superb, are heavy (feels like handling the old Taks), wonderful and with well damped focusing. The ZKs have very large focus throws, while the Contaxs are very normal. The coatings are new on the ZKs with digital coating on the rear elements, that the Contaxs do not have (not needed with film). I will admit its fun to have access to both Zeiss styles and have a 31 Limited to boot to play with. But, its taken well over 6 years to assemble this set to shoot with. Not my original goal - just where I ended up.

02-14-2013, 11:52 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I often read "I like "x" lens but it's manual". Infinity on the ZK 35 is three metres. Anything past that should be in focus or need little adjustment. If you're out shooting past three metres you can set it up and just about use it like a point and shoot. The 25/28 infinity point will be even shorter. I have the ZK21, infinity is two metres. If you're shooting landscapes it's a piece of cake. The ZK35 is not just a great lens it is a joy to use.
02-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I have the 25 and like it well enough but haven't really warmed to it the way I have other lenses. (I haven't really shot landscape with it, though.) For what it's worth, I started shooting film again recently and really liked what it produced on my LX.

The the lens is such a big, heavy tank. Next to the K135 it's probably the biggest, heaviest glass I own, and that make it reach for it less. This is even more true since I picked up a Voigtlander Color-Skopar 20mm.

However, if I found a sweet deal on a ZK 35mm I'd be sorely tempted to jump on it.
02-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alan_smithee_photos Quote
I have the 25 and like it well enough but haven't really warmed to it the way I have other lenses. (I haven't really shot landscape with it, though.) The lens is such a big, heavy tank. Next to the K135 it's probably the biggest, heaviest glass I own, and that make it reach for it less.
I often use a bridge camera waist pack for a K-x with a smaller lens.
The K-x with the ZK 25/2.8 will just fit inside, and can be carried all day.
The ZK 35/2 is already too big to use that way (as is the Tammy 17-50).

02-17-2013, 01:05 AM   #20

Original Poster
I decided on 35/2. I hope it comes with the hood.
02-17-2013, 01:10 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxnood Quote
I decided on 35/2.
Enjoy!

I hope it comes with the hood.
I use a step-down ring and rubber hood for mine on APS-C.
Makes the lens easier to pack, and really quick on the draw.
02-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Zeiss hoods are stupidly expensive. Saw so many on eBay going for $150...

02-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #23

Original Poster
I m buying new one, any hood included with the box?
02-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I m buying new one, any hood included with the box?
Should be (a metal one with bayonet attachment).

There should also be a really nasty lens cap.
02-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Should be (a metal one with bayonet attachment).

There should also be a really nasty lens cap.
+1, comes with a nice hood but the lens cap is pitiful, just get a cheap replacement.

Hope you enjoy the 35/2, I sure have!
02-18-2013, 12:14 AM   #26

Original Poster
It came, but something is terribly wrong. Because this cannot focus more the 0.5 meters. When I take a picture 3 meters away its all blurred. Close distance is fine. I set aperture on lens both Auto and 22, and set the focus infinity but it does not work.

This is definitely worst lens I bought if I am not doing something wrong or this is a lemon. I tried my DA 50 mm it works fine. Pictures are so blurry that my Canon 550d or iphone take better pictures.
02-18-2013, 12:21 AM - 1 Like   #27
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

It came, but something is terribly wrong. Because this cannot focus more the 0.5 meters. When I take a picture 3 meters away its all blurred. Close distance is fine. I set aperture on lens both Auto and 22, and set the focus infinity but it does not work.

This is definitely worst lens I bought if I am not doing something wrong or this is a lemon.
OK - with my 35mm on my K5 - I set the lens to its A - Aperture setting, and adjust aperture on camera rear dial. I usually leave my K5 on TAv mode, and I set the shot selection mode from AF-C to M on the camera. This works fine, with focus confirmation in the viewfinder.

The images are very sharp, and no issues with infinity focus.

My suggestion - take it step by step. Is it a camera issue or a lens issue. What you get from a good copy of the ZK35/2 should be so sharp it knocks you socks off.
02-18-2013, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

It came, but something is terribly wrong. Because this cannot focus more the 0.5 meters. When I take a picture 3 meters away its all blurred. Close distance is fine.
The Zeiss ZK lenses can be adjusted so that there is a "hard infinity,"
meaning that if you turn the focus ring all the way to the stop,
the lens is exactly set to focus sharply at infinity.

From your description, it sounds as if this adjustment
is out of whack on your copy,
and needs to be redone.

Did you get a Zeiss guarantee slip
(signed by an inspector)
in the box with your lens?
If so, you should be able to use the guarantee
to have your local Zeiss repairers
realign the lens for you.

BTW, I would also recommend going to the Carl Zeiss website
and registering for the extended Zeiss guarantee.

If your lens is so gray market that it doesn't have the guarantee,
you'll either have to do the adjustment yourself,
or take it to a competent lens repairer
to have them do it for you.
02-18-2013, 12:59 AM   #29

Original Poster
Thanks,
I cannot even see sharpness through viewfinder or LCD for objects farther than 0.5 meters, I did exactly nzross said.
I bought from a camera shop in another city online, there was a guarantee slip too, but i didnt look carefully if there was a sign, i ll check when I go home. but I'll return to retailer or ask for exchange. I bought it online
02-18-2013, 01:11 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

I'll return to retailer or ask for exchange.
Since the ZK lenses were discontinued in 2010,
and have become hard to find,
you may not be able to get another copy
if you return this one.

If the sale is genuine, with the guarantee card,
and you are really interested in this generally excellent lens,
I believe that it will be worthwhile for you
to let Zeiss readjust the lens.

Part of the price of these lenses
goes to pay for a professional level of service.