and have become hard to find,
you may not be able to get another copy
if you return this one.

If the sale is genuine, with the guarantee card,
and you are really interested in this generally excellent lens,
I believe that it will be worthwhile for you
to let Zeiss readjust the lens.

Part of the price of these lenses
goes to pay for a professional level of service.
I am interested in lens but I am totally disappointed. Well in the lens box it said something like 'Specially exclusive for Japan' (and on lens it says it is made in japan ). I saw something like Cosina too in the box.
I ll ask store to change it if they have another one. Do you think this specific malfunction is covered by warranty?

02-18-2013, 02:36 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxnood Quote
I am interested in lens but I am totally disappointed.
That's understandable,
but buying a new lens three years after it's discontinued
will be something of a gamble.
You're lucky to have located a copy at all.

Well in the lens box it said something like 'Specially exclusive for Japan'
I don't know what that would mean.

(and on lens it says it is made in japan ). I saw something like Cosina too in the box.
Yes, these Zeiss lenses are made by Cosina, with Zeiss quality control.
I have several Zeiss and Voigtlaender brand lenses made by Cosina,
and have been very satisfied with them.

I ll ask store to change it if they have another one. Do you think this specific malfunction is covered by warranty?
If the lens's paperwork is in order, yes, I would think so.
Even if it's not just a hard infinity adjustment,
but something more complicated like the floating element system,
that should be covered under the Zeiss guarantee.
02-18-2013, 02:41 AM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Yes, these Zeiss lenses are made by Cosina, with Zeiss quality control.
I have several Zeiss and Voigtlaender brand lenses made by Cosina,
and have been very satisfied with them.
so yours Zeiss is made in Japan too? by the way, which lens did you use in this photo M200f4ch - lytrytyr's Album: Dock - PentaxForums.com
02-18-2013, 02:45 AM   #34
Pentaxian

so yours Zeiss is made in Japan too?
Yes.

by the way, which lens did you use in this photo M200f4ch - lytrytyr's Album: Dock - PentaxForums.com
That was the old Pentax M200/4.

02-18-2013, 02:47 AM   #35
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
pentaxnood, first thing I'd do is to get someone to double check your set up and contact the store and tell them what is happening before you send it anywhere. Not to say there's not a fault with the lens. I would be interested to hear what the issue is. If you don't mind could you run through your camera settings very specifically again?
02-18-2013, 04:42 AM   #36

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by peasant Quote
pentaxnood, first thing I'd do is to get someone to double check your set up and contact the store and tell them what is happening before you send it anywhere. Not to say there's not a fault with the lens. I would be interested to hear what the issue is. If you don't mind could you run through your camera settings very specifically again?
OK.

I choose 35 mm as Focal length then shoot in every mode every different shutter, every possible Av, everything. It does not matter at all, because I cannot see in the viewfinder normal at all! I tried my other lenses perfectly fine, even my Pentax M 30-75 F4 is much sharper than this.

Sharpness:
DA 50 mm: 10
M 30-75: 7
Iphone: 5
Zeiss: 1

I talked with the store I bought. He said its normal. I pushed him, he said there were some other complaints from other people came as well. He told me thats normal that its not considered as a 'failure'. He told me that they can send to factory but I should not expect it to be repaired since it is difficult to repair. I should wait a month now.

That s what Zeiss Customer Service is about I understood after all.

Here are pictures I took,, focus is set to infinity on all. Even for 1 meter distance nothing is visible, and the guy tell me this is normal.

Just tell me if I did not burn 800$
Attached Images

02-18-2013, 05:34 AM   #37
Pentaxian

I talked with the store I bought. He said its normal. I pushed him, he said there were some other complaints from other people came as well. He told me thats normal that its not considered as a 'failure'. He told me that they can send to factory but I should not expect it to be repaired since it is difficult to repair. I should wait a month now.
That is not acceptable.

Have you tried contacting Zeiss Japan directly?
Welcome to Carl Zeiss Japan

If they cannot give you a satisfactory answer,
or insist that you deal with that shop,
then you'd best just return the lens.
At least it's becoming clear
why the lens was still available
this late in the game.

02-18-2013, 05:43 AM   #38
Forum Member

Can you show a picture of the lens attached to the camera from front / top? So we can see the lens markings, infinity etc.
02-18-2013, 05:52 AM   #39
Forum Member

There's ZK 35 F2 listed on ebay right now for $798, so let's not write this one off just yet. Actually there's a whole stack of ZK's.
02-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Bull sh*t talk.
What store is it? and the name of the manager/seller?
I will take note and put this store on my black list - also on other forums as well.

What I can say is Zeiss glass is different from Pentax, esp contrast and color, and I like the rending of both.
02-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
Bull sh*t talk.
I will take note and put this store on my black list - also on other forums as well.
I second this suggestion. This way, nobody else gets burnt with bad service. Also, as was inferred earlier, there was a reason this lens was still available brand new (and I hope it is). Gladly, mine was faultless (and if you are going to spend that kind of money, it better be).

I would send it back. End of hassels. If you are patient enough, another will come along, without the emotional and mental stress associated.
02-18-2013, 07:45 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haha, the store owner said not focusing to infinity is normal? He got other complaints? Yeah right, I've never seen a complaint like that for a Zeiss lens. My guess is someone messed with it after quality control - I doubt Zeiss would let a lens out like that.
02-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #43

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
That is not acceptable.

Have you tried contacting Zeiss Japan directly?
Welcome to Carl Zeiss Japan

If they cannot give you a satisfactory answer,
That's the story in Japan. Technically, you cannot return a product in Japan unless the product is faulty. And 'faulty' is defined by the store owner. Yes, in many countries you can return a product in 30 days, just saying you did not like it, or you bought mistakenly. When I asked my Japanese friends about returning policies, they said "unheardof". Last month, when I was trying to return a product after a week, they were very surprised . Its a cultural shock to return a product in Japan.

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
Bull sh*t talk.

What I can say is Zeiss glass is different from Pentax, esp contrast and color, and I like the rending of both.

So this store is the Legend Photography store in Japan., B&H Photo of Japan, the famous Fujiya Camera. as said on here Camera shopping in Tokyo pt. 1 – Shinjuku | Japan Camera Hunter or many other blogs, forums.

He told me it would take at least one month, and probably it cannot be fixed as most people had gone through same process. And the guy was laughing, when I said that I want to return it, or exchange with a Pentax lens. He laughed so hard. As if I said to him, the world is flat, or most bizarre thing ever.

For that reason I always buy my lenses Amazon or store itself by checking personally. I could not think that a Carl Zeiss Manual Focus lens could have a problem.

Update: (March 12-2013). I Though I wrote later in this thread that, I thought it may be good if I also edit this part for future visitors.
The next day I sent my lens, and Fujiya camera called me accepting that its faulty. And next day they sent me a new lens. It works fine. Also, I later noticed that they sent a letter of 3-4 paragraphs handwritten in Japanese, basically saying too much sorry ( I dont know Japanese but a friend translated).
Attached Images

Last edited by pentaxnood; 03-12-2013 at 02:20 AM. Reason: updating
02-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #44
Pentaxian

you cannot return a product in Japan unless the product is faulty.
If you're stuck with the lens,
contact Carl Zeiss Japan (link given earlier).
Ask them what their take on the situation is.
If necessary, sign the guarantee
and send the lens to them
for recalibration or whatever it takes.

By the way, I just found out
that the international extended guarantee
doesn't apply in Japan.
The only Asian countries where it applies
are India and South Korea.
Bummer.
02-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #45
Veteran Member

I just browsed the Zeiss (not Japan) website, and the options do not allow choosing online registration of a ZK lens. I don't like what I see for pentaxnood. I can't imagine how upsetting this must be...