Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Working Trip to London - One Lens Only

I've spent the last 2 months doing some work with a theatre company on a play.

Leave for 'that London' in the morning for just less than a week, most of which will be spent, re-building the set, rehearsing (it's ok, I'm not actually 'in' the play ) and generally working at a pretty frantic pace... Not going to have masses of time for photography but may get an afternoon...

I'm taking the K5 (it goes everywhere I do in general) but need to travel as light as possible so thinking that I need to leave a fair bit of kit at home...

I normally carry: K5, FA35 attached + FA28, FA50, D-FA100 and a Vivitar 19mm f3.8 as well as a flash and bits and bobs...

Thinking of just taking the 18-55WR lens (obviously attached to the K5) but worried about the loss of IQ and all my filters (ND's, CPL etc) are in a 49mm thread...

The plus is that it saves me space and time in a city I'm only vaugely comfortable in being fairly adaptable - when I was last there it was so busy that swapping out lenses was a bit of a chore...

Wishing I could've afforded the move to K5 without having to have sold the Tamron 17-50 right now...

02-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
I've spent the last 2 months doing some work with a theatre company on a play.

Leave for 'that London' in the morning for just less than a week, most of which will be spent, re-building the set, rehearsing (it's ok, I'm not actually 'in' the play ) and generally working at a pretty frantic pace... Not going to have masses of time for photography but may get an afternoon...

I'm taking the K5 (it goes everywhere I do in general) but need to travel as light as possible so thinking that I need to leave a fair bit of kit at home...

I normally carry: K5, FA35 attached + FA28, FA50, D-FA100 and a Vivitar 19mm f3.8 as well as a flash and bits and bobs...

Thinking of just taking the 18-55WR lens (obviously attached to the K5) but worried about the loss of IQ and all my filters (ND's, CPL etc) are in a 49mm thread...

The plus is that it saves me space and time in a city I'm only vaugely comfortable in being fairly adaptable - when I was last there it was so busy that swapping out lenses was a bit of a chore...

Wishing I could've afforded the move to K5 without having to have sold the Tamron 17-50 right now...
Wow, I was just going to suggest the best single lens for London trip is Tamron 17-50!
02-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it was me, I would rather a 17-70mm which covers landscape, street scenes, and casual portraits.
Are you planning to buy a lens or take one of your own?

Thanks

Randy
02-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Wow, I was just going to suggest the best single lens for London trip is Tamron 17-50!
It really would be but if I hadn't of sold it I wouldn't have the K5... Funny though, I hardly used it for months before I sold it!!

02-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
I would rather a 17-70mm which covers landscape, street scenes, and casual portraits.
Are you planning to buy a lens or take one of your own?
I've neither the time nor cash for a new lens right now - so it has to be one from my sig (see below & the F35-70)

I mostly use the FA35 but I don't think it'll be quite wide enough...

I could just buy an ND in a 52mm thread when I get there I suppose (I really like to use ND's to get rid of people in shots)
02-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Dave, I am just looking on the Eizo at some shots today taken with the old 18~55mm while i practice using the K-01.
Do you have "loss of IQ" of that zoom compared to your other lenses with those filters on?
02-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Do you have "loss of IQ" of that zoom compared to your other lenses with those filters on?
Absolutely. I don't for a second think I have a bad copy of the 18-55WR but it simply doesn't compare to the image quality I get from the FA35, FA50 & DFA100 they're sharper have better (more increased) contrast and nicer colours... Even with filters - my most used 3 are: Massa ND32, Heliopan ND3,0 (practically black glass) & a Hoya PL-CIR
It compares slightly better against my copy of the FA28 but the 28 (my copy at least) has a pretty unique rendering and as such I only use it in certain situations (green-scapes generally)...

My 18-55 is good... It's just that my primes are better... As such I barely use it... Thinking for this trip it may be the only option though...
02-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

FA28 and you are done!

02-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
Pentaxian

It really would be but if I hadn't of sold it I wouldn't have the K5... Funny though, I hardly used it for months before I sold it!!
That's how it goes with zooms sometimes - you can not use one for quite a while, but then when certain situations come up you suddenly need it!

I also think the FA28 is a good option, although in your case you seem to like the IQ of you 18-55 a little better. But the FA28 is the all-around prime I'll take when I don't want something expensive or big. I think the rendering can be a bit unique as well, but in my mind there's something "special" about it (in a good way). At least it's faster than the 18-55, and can be readily used at f/3.2. Maybe you can sneak the DA35/2.4 or 18-55 in you luggage as well, just in case you have any regret.

Last edited by DSims; 02-15-2013 at 05:08 PM.
02-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I've neither the time nor cash for a new lens right now - so it has to be one from my sig (see below & the F35-70)

I mostly use the FA35 but I don't think it'll be quite wide enough...

I could just buy an ND in a 52mm thread when I get there I suppose (I really like to use ND's to get rid of people in shots)

For my personal tastes I found the DA-21 my most used lens while there. Based on your sig link choices I would go with the 28. The 19 might be better but I have never used it. You can see a limited some of what I shot with the 21, colbyt69 on Flickr. Many of these shots were from the Big Red bus some through glass windows.
02-15-2013, 07:11 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I would go with one of the FAs. My choice is the FA 35/2 but whichever you're most comfortable with. You'll miss shots with any one choice, but the FA primes should make the shots you do take better. Low light is easier and the lenses are smaller. It's almost pocketable if you have a huge pocket. I might choose the 18-55 WR if you're likely to be out in the rain.
02-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #12

My first choice would be the 18-55. There is a lot of variety in London. I would find a single fixed focal length too limiting.

I would also take along the FA35. Those two lenses are not that much bigger than a Tamron 17-50. I think it is the overall portability, rather than the number of lenses that counts. It will be fairly dull a lot of the time in London, at this time of year, so a reasonably fast lens would be useful.
02-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I would go with you fa28. Of course, if it was me I would also bring along the 50, but I never seem to be able to travel with just one lens.
02-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #14

I would suggest taking the FA 35 for the IQ and speed and get the best pictures. But surely you have enough space for the zoom. It is small and light and would be useful if it rained or for the odd wider shot.
02-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
I would go with you fa28. Of course, if it was me I would also bring along the 50, but I never seem to be able to travel with just one lens.
Me too. 28mm is the ideal one-lens walkaround. And the FA28 is fine, although some people are a bit rude about it!