Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #1

Pentax 560mm still only one year warranty...

While this lens is definitely tempting, assuming you can come up with the 7K asking price, it still only has a one year warranty. Since repairs are based to a large extent on original cost, I can only imagine the dollars needed to get it fixed. Thankfully it is not a SDM model or you would have to have a repair fund set up to go with it. I see no alternate warranty listed at the B&H site.

02-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 3-year squaretrade warranty is $1k, but no free shipping!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #3

Original Poster
Just poking around. The Sigma 500mm comes with 4 years of warranty and the Nikon 400 comes with 5 years of warranty.
02-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't get it. Why would somebody spend an extra $2000 for the 560mm f5.6 over the Sigma 500mm f4.5? The weight is about the same, but the Sigma is a good bit more compact. The Sigma has a hair less reach, but it has a larger aperture...a trade off I'd take any day. And from everything I've read, the Sigma has incredible image quality. And as pointed out above, the warranty is just the cherry on top. What am I missing?

02-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I don't get it. Why would somebody spend an extra $2000 for the 560mm f5.6 over the Sigma 500mm f4.5? The weight is about the same, but the Sigma is a good bit more compact. The Sigma has a hair less reach, but it has a larger aperture...a trade off I'd take any day. And from everything I've read, the Sigma has incredible image quality. And as pointed out above, the warranty is just the cherry on top. What am I missing?
I don't think you're missing much. The audience that Pentax is targetting with the 560mm seems so small that it's hard to believe they even bothered with this lens! If I were a bird shooter I'd either get the Sigma lens or opt for a Nikon system altogether to get better service coverage.

Of course, warranty varies from country to country: in Canada and most of Europe, for instance, you get 2 years rather than 1 from Pentax.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Thanks, I thought that I must have been missing something since it seemed like there was a lot of excitement on here about the lens. Well, unless Pentax is planning to drastically lower the price on the 560mm, then it seems like an incredibly ill-conceived move to release this lens. It creates the impression that the people running the show have little understanding of the market landscape.

But if they stick at $7000, then you have to consider that you could have the Sigma 500mm f4.5 and the Sigma 300mm f2.8 for not much more.
02-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter

This is weird: a $7000 lens with this short warranty period while you can have the Sigma 500/4.5 with a 10 years warranty (in Canada only, hey?).

JP
02-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Oh, and another advantage for the Sigma 500mm f4.5 that could potentially be big: It's designed for full frame. While we don't know when/if Pentax will release a FF camera, it's certainly good to be future proof.

02-18-2013, 08:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I don't think I'd pay much more than $2,000 for this lens. Has Pentax really missed the mark in making it so expensive, but only ASP-C and with a crappy warranty period?
02-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #10
Lens Buying Addict

A warranty isn't a gift. It has an expected cost over the warranted period that should be factored into the manufacturer's price. A financially conservative company chooses not to "worry about that later" when pricing its goods. Further, if a company is going to offer a warranty it should have in place some sort of provision for quickly and correctly repairing defects, or be prepared to quickly replace defective items.

I really have no idea about Sigma's costing, nor their repair network (whether in-house or by trained designates), but it would be interesting to hear from those who know a comparison between Sigma and Pentax.
02-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
This is weird: a $7000 lens with this short warranty period while you can have the Sigma 500/4.5 with a 10 years warranty (in Canada only, hey?).

JP
And APS-C lens.
02-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I really have no idea about Sigma's costing, nor their repair network (whether in-house or by trained designates), but it would be interesting to hear from those who know a comparison between Sigma and Pentax.
I've heard that Sigma has really been making an effort to deliver great service in recent years in order to attract more pro-level photographers to their lenses. I've sent several lenses with a camera body for calibration a couple times to Sigma in New York, and both times turn-around time for the calibration was a day or less. They also repaired my 100-300mm F4 in just a couple days. And on the forum I've heard a lot of other positive experiences about Sigma's service (at least in the US).

I don't have any personal experience with Pentax service, but my impression is that you better be prepared to wait, and some repairs can only be done in Japan.
02-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
I don't think I'd pay much more than $2,000 for this lens. Has Pentax really missed the mark in making it so expensive, but only ASP-C and with a crappy warranty period?
If I didn't have any previous knowledge of the 560mm pricing, $2000 is probably about what I would have predicted as well.

I think we have a situation here similar to the pricing debacle that Sigma faced when they initially priced their SD1 camera at close to $10,000. There was almost no objective basis for that price, and eventually Sigma was forced to price it more realistically in order to sell it in any significant quantity.
02-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #14
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
If I didn't have any previous knowledge of the 560mm pricing, $2000 is probably about what I would have predicted as well.
A logical explanation would be that the lens should be completely hand-assembled, by one technician, in Japan. If that were the case it should be marketed as a DA* or be FF and an FA Limited.

I guess if they sell 200 they'll make their $1,000,000.
02-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #15
Inactive Account

New 560mm Lens

This is a first in a long time. I think we are all being tested, the one year warranty. If we buy the Lens with this warranty they will keep it at this price. Possibly move it to a 3 or 6 months warranty. Just my thoughts here. I've own Pentax's since the seventies and if they produced good camera equipment then I will stick with them. The 560mm has been a long time waiting for a telephoto Lens from Pentax. Like the 645D, they will test every possible avenue with this lens including the warranty. We need to be patient to and see. This is the first phase........