Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #1

Sears lens doesn't fit my Pentax KM?

I hope this is the right place to post this!

I had a Sears ks-2 that came with three lenses, but the body didn't work. I just got a Pentax KM so I could use the lenses, but the lenses won't snap in place! I've checked for the "pin" that you're supposed to removed from Ricoh lenses, but there isn't one in any of them. They're both K mount and look exactly the same, yet they snap into place on the ks-2 and not on the km. I hope someone can help me because I would love to use them!

02-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pictures of the lens mount would help. And are you asking about a Pentax KM (film camera) or Pentax K-m (digital camera)

Do they mount properly but not turn far enough to lock? Some lenses have large aperture lever flanges that can keep them from mounting on a digital camera. But I'm not sure if you have a film or a digital camera.
02-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #3

Original Poster
I'm asking about the KM (film camera).

Exactly! The fit in there perfectly, but they don't lock.
02-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ButtonMunch Quote
I'm asking about the KM (film camera).
Ok, that eliminates the aperture flange problem, that issue was not introduced until the power zoom contacts were added. The ks-2 was the Ricoh XR-7 and I know of no issues that should prevent those lenses from working, but I've never worked with a Ricoh camera only Pentax so maybe I'm out of my depth.

Pictures of the lens mount and maybe someone else can help you.

02-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I have the Ricoh version of the KS 2 (Ricoh XR7) and as well as a KX (same vintage as your KM) and have no trouble swapping lenses freely between the two bodies. Both should be freely compatible with any K-mount lens ever made that has an aperture ring...even those with the Ricoh pin*. Two questions:
  • Do all three of the lenses that came with your KS 2 have trouble mounting to the KM?
  • Does any lens in your possession mount cleanly to the KM?
It is possible that the mount on your KM is damaged (jammed aperture ring coupler) in a way that would prevent a clean mount. It is also possible that your KS2 is damaged in a way that may have hurt the lenses.

Steve

* The "Ricoh pin" issue is limited to cameras with the KAF auto-focus mount. There are no problems with K-mount manual focus bodies regardless of maker.

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-15-2013 at 08:34 PM.
02-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My dad still has his K1000 and a couple of lenses in the bag. When I was home about a year and a half ago, i tried several of the lenses on my K-M at the time. The zoom and the wide angle fit without issue, but the stock 35mm lens that comes with it, wouldn't lock on my K-M. I didn't look into it that much, worried that I'd bend something, but next chance i'll get I'll look closer and see what might be causing the issue.
02-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #7

Original Poster
"Do all three of the lenses that came with your KS 2 have trouble mounting to the KM?"

Yes, all three of them fit but won't lock on the KM. If I had to guess where the problem was, I'm pretty sure it's with the KM and not the ks2 but I don't know what the problem would be (the mounts look exactly the same.) I'll attach some photos, I had to take them real quick but hopefully you get the idea.
Attached Images

02-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #8

Original Poster
Here they are:

Attached Images

02-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is possible that the mount on your KM is damaged (jammed aperture ring coupler) in a way that would prevent a clean mount.
How do I know if this is the case, and if so, do you know how I could go about fixing that?

Thanks for all the help!
02-15-2013, 11:13 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a lens I performed a Ricohpinsectomy on that won't mount on my K-30. I'm not certain the reason why, but its sister lenses all behave perfectly normally going from the film cameras (three Sears, my dead digital K-x and an early Pentax AF) to the other (including the two other lenses I snipped at the same time as the problem lens). I can check closer to see if I can puzzle out what I may have done to cause it to misbehave.

EDIT: I take it back, the lens is just very, VERY tight on the K-30. It was tight enough I as assuming it wasn't locking but needed the extra nudge. Is there a chance that perhaps your mount on the KM could be out of true (warped)? I'm not sure how easy that can be checked, but it could be a similar situation. In my case, I think its just a tight lens for mine. It happens every so often.

Last edited by Sagitta; 02-15-2013 at 11:19 PM.
02-15-2013, 11:15 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ButtonMunch Quote
How do I know if this is the case, and if so, do you know how I could go about fixing that?

Thanks for all the help!
The mounts don't look the same to me. Look at about 2 o'clock on the KS 2. There is a metal tab (the aperture coupler). Look at the same position on your KM...Hmmmm, no coupler...Oh! There it is at 4 o'clock. That, my friend, is your problem. That little lever is not where it is supposed to be. The aperture coupler engages with a similar metal tab that is recessed into the mount on the lens. It functions to communicate the relative position of the aperture ring to the metering system.

Sometimes, as a result of a defective lens or carelessness, the coupler gets munged and ends up jammed and immovable at one end of its travel or the other. I have a perfectly good Ricoh XR7 body that was ruined* that way by a defective Zenitar fisheye (grrrrr). I can't tell from the photograph how badly your mount is damaged. It may be that a competent repairman may be able to do a fix without breaking the bank. It may also be easier and cheaper to find another KM.

Sooo...what is wrong with the KS 2?

Steve

(* ...fortunately found a second XR7 body in good condition for a song...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-15-2013 at 11:23 PM.
02-16-2013, 04:58 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Bingo! It could be the return spring on the aperture coupler ring has become detached or broke. If the coupler can be moved without forcing it this might be the case. It might be an easy fix.

It looks like the mirror is locked up on the KS-2.
02-16-2013, 05:56 AM   #13

Original Poster
Ha! I moved the lever up and now the lenses snap on perfectly, thanks!

Now if only I could fix the self timer, and figure out how to fix the exposure counter. Oh, and I'm wondering if I can take the tripod mount out of my ks2 and put it on my KM (for some reason it's missing..)

Another question - the foam bumper is gone. I know they get sticky/gooey/crumble with age, so I guess I'm glad it's been removed, but are there any downsides to that, other than the mirror clicking loudly when I snap a photo?

When I went to load film into my ks2, the mirror got stuck in the up position. I did some research and nothing I did to fix it helped, and since then I've lost screws and little things from where I tried to perform surgery.
02-16-2013, 06:45 AM   #14

Original Poster
I'm thinking there's nothing I can do for the exposure counter...it's missing a part, and I'm not sure if what is there "moves" or does whatever it's supposed to. The hot shoe also doesn't seem to be working. There's a lot of problems with it, but I'm trying to make it work the best I can without taking it somewhere or buying a "new" one.
Attached Images

02-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Covers for the K1000 film counter can be found on eBay. It looks like those would fit on the KM. To align the counter indicator you open the rear cover which resets the counter to start, then align the marker to the -2 (white dot). The cover has 3 set screws around the side. You could just take a black marker and make a mark that lines up on the top cover and or film advance lever.

The hot shoe contacts may just need cleaning. Have you tried a pc sync cable? The pc socket is on the front of the camera, remove the little black plug. It sounds like the KM needs a lot of work and might be better relegated to the parts bin if you're not willing to spend any money to at least get it fully functional.