Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Not even Leica and Zeiss use that, but it's also not like they need to. Plus they still produce in Germany
Leica also have lenses produced in Canada. And many Carl Zeiss labelled lenses are just Cosina* products in drag.

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
"limited" is a term used to indicate elevated status, regardless of any actual limits on availability.
Canon L lenses are labelled "L" for Luxury - even though many L zoom lenses continue to have some quality control issues, I had to go through five EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II lenses to find a good one.

*The ones Sony are labelling as Carl Zeiss are really Minolta lens designs - Sony knows that Carl Zeiss is a cachet that appeals to the older and younger photographers, most of whom wouldn't know the difference between a planar and a sonnar.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-20-2013 at 07:41 AM.
02-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Pentax is getting the casual shopper, who doesn't look into these things, to think that they are buying a lens produced in limited numbers, like Leica, Zeiss, and some others.
In what way are Leica and Zeiss lenses limited? As far as I am aware, there is no intention of setting a limit to the number produced. If you mean they are high-priced, premium products, the same can be said for some of the Pentax lenses. However, that said, I think this is a fatuous argument. Pentax can call their lenses what they like - it's a free world (well, some of it is).
02-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Incorrect. This is why marketers use it and why it's not in a dictionary with your usage, as you already posted. Because people don't know what it really means and that the corporation is, in fact, being deceptive.

Pentax is getting the casual shopper, who doesn't look into these things, to think that they are buying a lens produced in limited numbers, like Leica, Zeiss, and some others.

While on the back end, the numbers are not limited, there is no value added due to that, and production moved to Vietnam.

There is no exclusivity to this series. It might have metal construction that's a throwback to the old world, but that's about it. The optics are quite nice, too. So Pentax should really drop the "limited" badge because it makes them look silly. Not even Leica and Zeiss use that, but it's also not like they need to. Plus they still produce in Germany, earning their pricing in some cases, and have much better QC than Pentax's Limited series.
Why are you comparing Pentax Limiteds to Leica and Zeiss lenses? They're 3x the price of Pentax. Of course you're going to get better quality control.

Last edited by NitroDC; 02-20-2013 at 09:02 AM.
02-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Leica also have lenses produced in Canada. And many Carl Zeiss labelled lenses are just Cosina* products in drag.

Canon L lenses are labelled "L" for Luxury - even though many L zoom lenses continue to have some quality control issues, I had to go through five EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II lenses to find a good one.

*The ones Sony are labelling as Carl Zeiss are really Minolta lens designs - Sony knows that Carl Zeiss is a cachet that appeals to the older and younger photographers, most of whom wouldn't know the difference between a planar and a sonnar.
Apologizethis question is off topic, what's the difference between planar and sonnar?

02-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #80
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by NitroDC Quote
Why are you comparing Pentax Limiteds to Leica and Zeiss lenses? They're 3x the price of Pentax. Of course you're going to get better quality control.
Not here. At the least, Pentax is horrifically overpriced. I can go for a NOS ZK lens, provided I wanted to go with MF, for quite good prices making the Pentax limiteds look a bit like a poor buy.

Could be the reason why few in Germany buy Pentax, along with its disaster of a distributor.
02-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #81
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
In what way are Leica and Zeiss lenses limited? As far as I am aware, there is no intention of setting a limit to the number produced. If you mean they are high-priced, premium products, the same can be said for some of the Pentax lenses. However, that said, I think this is a fatuous argument. Pentax can call their lenses what they like - it's a free world (well, some of it is).
ZK lenses are no longer produced. I've asked Zeiss directly and publicly and they are out of production as of 2010 and no plans are in place to make Pentax lenses in the near future.

Most Zeiss lenses are produced in a lower quality, and even in Germany, one typically has to wait in line if the dealer isn't a preferred dealer or has one in stock.

Leica lenses, as most will know, are hard to obtain. There's a reason why there's a waiting list that sometimes goes to a couple years. They will produce them, but be certain there aren't millions going out the door and at the least, you have more handwork going into these than you do with the Pentax "limited" lenses.
02-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #82
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote

1. I don't see what's wrong with Minolta.
2. I don't see what's wrong with reengineering good designs, collaborating with Zeiss on the optics, and then labeling them as such. Hell, Schneider used the FA35 and others from Pentax's line (not the limiteds) in the failed Samsung collaboration. The point is there's all sorts of incest going on in the Japanese optics industry, as well as one that goes with the German optics industry, which made Germany's and Japan's relationship during WWII especially close (ie: raw materials for many German lenses and their manufacture is still in the hands of the Japanese).

Are you able to reference where the 24 1.8 for the Nex is a minolta design? Not saying it isn't, but I'd like to see what you mean.

02-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #83
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most Zeiss lenses are produced in a lower quality
Glad mine weren't among those!
02-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #84
Pentaxian

Schneider used the FA35 and others from Pentax's line (not the limiteds) in the failed Samsung collaboration.
That was just badge engineering,
Schneider selling Samsung the use of their name.

BTW, since you're finding the FA 35 so expensive,
have you seen its S-K clone available more cheaply?
02-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #85
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
That was just badge engineering,
Schneider selling Samsung the use of their name.

BTW, since you're finding the FA 35 so expensive,
have you seen its S-K clone available more cheaply?
No, sells for approximately the same price on the used market. My FA35 was listed for about 600 euros used. I gave the guy an offer and we haggled a bit, which brought it down to 360 or so. A steal, it was not. Better than paying (if it was even available, as I had some new orders cancelled on me due to "discontinued" status) 750-900+ Euros, as previously mentioned (perhaps it was you in the older discussions about the price).

I think the short supply is due to the incompetent distributor we have in DE/AT/CH, who has been known to show up for camera expos without cameras.

And it goes without saying what the Samsung-Pentax-Schneider deal was about.
08-27-2013, 07:04 AM   #86

I've heard mixed reviews so far comparing them but so far it seems like the majority of reviews are pointing to users liking the Sigma 35mm even more
08-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #87
Pentaxian

I've read articles rating the 31 ltd s one of the best 3 lenses of all time.. and I've seen a lot of images that support that opinion. That would be grounds to recommend it to me. I tend to ignore posts about whether a lens is "worth the money." that's totally subjective, and I could be talking to someone with money to waste. It's not often that I recommend a lens based on "it's cheaper." Just saying....
08-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #88

I have just got the Sigma 35mm and I must say that it is simply astounding. I have used Pentax 31mm a while ago, though it was not mine and I was just using it for a short time, but still, this Sigma 35mm is one damn fine lens.
08-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #89
Pentaxian

AH... so you're going to post a few pictures?

DxO certainly thinks it's a fine lens. The question is, is it better than he 31 ltd, which they haven't tested.

08-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #90
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oh dear, a quick search on amazon.jp has the FA31 for £595 new - I really didn't need to see that...