Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2008, 07:10 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When was the last time you saw a professional wedding photog NOT use flash for the majority of his/hers shots?

Done properly, it will not look like a snap shot. Bounce flash or use some kind of diffuser. I tend to user a Lumiquest Ultra Bounce or Softbox. Even better, set up remote flashes bounced into umbrellas using PWs.

02-26-2008, 07:14 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

I've never really figured out why flash is so important to some people... I feel that it's capable of ruining almost any shot, and sometimes makes the best DSLR's produce images that are indistinguishable from point & shoots.

There are cases where there is absolutely no way to get a shot without a flash, but in situations where it's not absolutely necessary, I personally would rather have a beautiful slightly underexposed shot vs. a glaring, two dimensional, bad-studio-portrait-quality image.

Am I missing something here? Maybe I've just not seen good flash photography, or have seen it but not known it was flash, etc...

It isn't what you want. It is what the clients want and expect.

Look here:
Strobist
It might change your mind.
02-26-2008, 09:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Just FYI (getting back on topic) when I was playing around with my 50 1.4 during some family parties (indoors) I found it hard to get mulitiple people in frame. If you don't have a lot of room at the venue the wide-angle end of the 28-70 will be invaluable.
02-26-2008, 10:04 PM   #19
Veteran Member

With primes, you would need a few focal lengths to bring along instead of just one. I would at least get 3 focal lengths: ultra wide, normal view and a short tele to a wedding event. That way, you can utilise the fast aperture to get the desired advantages of using primes.

Otherwise, I would prefer to take tamron zoom to the occasion as relying on one prime in a busy day schedule is quite risky.

02-26-2008, 10:19 PM   #20
Veteran Member

As a supplementary photographer, you can use either the 50/1.4 or Tamron 2875 lens, or both. With flash or without. It's all up to your like. It's not really a big deal if you miss some shots, or if you can get the whole event well covered, 'cause that's the main photographer's duty Just bring your gear over and have fun w/ whatever you like to shoot at, the way you like to shoot. That's my suggestion, and my experience too. Don't follow the main photographer all the time, just walk around the party and have fun w/ some shots that the main photographer might miss (like candid shots, decorations ...)

As a matter of fact, it's not much fun at all to be the main photographer.

Hope you have a lot fun there
02-26-2008, 11:17 PM   #21

Just keep in mind that you're going to have a hard time with the Tamron without a flash if it's an indoor event. Sure, you can hold 1/10, but to freeze people's faces, 1/60 is much, much better.
02-27-2008, 12:44 AM   #22
Veteran Member

My 2: the fewer lens changes, the better, when shooting these kinds of people events. I'd think the Tammy is the go-to lens here, but you're going to want your flash. If you don't have a diffuser, I suggest getting one; most event and PJ photogs I know and have worked beside live by these things, and the difference in results is why. I've used a Sto-fen with my old Nikon system with great satisfaction, and I've seen good results from the Lumiquests, too. Have fun, shoot lots, review and delete periodically as you go. Got fresh batteries for everything?
02-27-2008, 01:31 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by desame.one Quote
You're not the hired gun. Get drunk and enjoy the celebration.

Cheers!
That's the whole point to attend a wedding, isn't it And as a backup photographer, the more you drink, probably the better photos you'd take

02-27-2008, 05:15 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all your replies.

Me and my friend volunteer to be the 2nd and 3rd photographer purely because we wanted to learn how to shoot in weddings. I have not done this before

I do have the stofen diffuser for my 360 flash, and yes the 50/f1.4 is a FA50/f1.4. I will bring both lenses as some of you suggested. Now I need to practice before the actual day
02-27-2008, 05:38 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would take both
The Tamron will be far more versatile since it coivers a wide range of focals, and it is quite fast, but you do not know what the other guy has.

The 50/1.4 is small enough to fit in a pocket and can give you some incredible nice pics without flash, against the advice of most people I prefer to do that. With the k100D you can set the sensitivity to 1600 and give your friedns some unique and different shots.

Since it is a dinner, there will be plenty of movement and probably light will be moody and that is lost if you use flash. Sometimes you want to not freeze people faces, not freeze action, just convey it.

Last edited by titrisol; 02-29-2008 at 06:55 AM.
02-28-2008, 04:10 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhamemr Quote
I second that. Flash, done wrong, definately looks 'snapshotish', but when used correctly can really enhance you photos.
Anything, done wrong, will definately lead to photos worse than "snapshotish". The solution is not to throw it away, but practise it more.
03-05-2008, 08:04 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Can anyone please share some exposure tips for use in weddings? Like what is your preferred shutter speed, aperture and ISO?

Thanks.
03-06-2008, 10:00 AM   #28
Veteran Member

You'd expose like you would for any indoor "flash is primary light source" event. I'd start with ISO200, f/4, 1/180s, flash in P-TTL (+1 FEC when I had Pentax) and point flash straight up. Let P-TTL do it's thing. If ceiling is too high, increase ISO or open up aperture more. If ceiling is REALLY high, might need to add a reflector like Joe Demb's flip-it to throw more light forward.
03-06-2008, 11:10 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
You'd expose like you would for any indoor "flash is primary light source" event. I'd start with ISO200, f/4, 1/180s, flash in P-TTL (+1 FEC when I had Pentax) and point flash straight up. Let P-TTL do it's thing. If ceiling is too high, increase ISO or open up aperture more. If ceiling is REALLY high, might need to add a reflector like Joe Demb's flip-it to throw more light forward.
^^What he said. When you're using the prime (no flash), don't be afraid to use ISO800 or higher (this is more of an issue with the K10D)... it's much better to have a properly exposed and motion-stopped shot than to risk it with lower ISO--remember, very few of these shots will be printed any larger than a 4x6 wedding album.
03-12-2008, 05:08 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here is one of the pictures taken with Tamron 28-75 during a wedding.

I have taken your many good advices and decided to use the Tamron 28-75 as my primary lens on the wedding dinner.

I did bring the FA50/f1.4 but that was loaned to my colleage during the photoshoot.

Here is one of the pictures I have taken using Tamron 28-75. I like it and would like to share with you guys.

Attachment 9468

Last edited by raider; 01-11-2009 at 09:03 PM.