Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter

M50 1.7 Aperture Ring -- possible to repair?

I have a Pentax M 50 1.7 lens I got on ebay some time ago.. from day one of owning it, the aperture ring has been EXTREMELY stiff.

Recently, it has smoothed somewhat. However, the aperture ring still doesn't feel right to me.. odd clicking into spot.. almost with a jerk.

So I opened it a few moments ago to discover this.. (please see image) It is focused just below the wear (apologies), but I think it is still possible to see the issue.

It appears the ring is extremely worn.. I'm fairly certain it is not reparable but wanted to throw that out just in case it is.

Option B is, is it possible to buy another ring?

Everything else about this copy is fine.. no oily blades, no fungus, no scratches, nothing.. just a worn aperture ring.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
02-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
mee
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think I see what is going on.. when I took the lens apart I first noticed it was missing a screw. Tipoff #1 that someone has monkeyed with it already.
Then, I saw a tiny ball bearing come out as I removed the aperture ring.. a tiny bb. Looks like Tipoff #2 that someone has monkeyed with it already.

That little ball bearing is way too large to fit in there. It appears someone tried to 'fix' this lens before and did a terrible job of fitting it with an appropriately sized ball which has eaten the ring. Of course, I know nothing of Camera lenses so perhaps this is all stock from factory, but I'm doubting it at this point. what to do what to do..

without the bb, and the lens back together, the aperture ring glides smoothly.. not exactly ideal for photo taking.. but I guess somewhat interesting..
02-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
without the bb, and the lens back together, the aperture ring glides smoothly.. not exactly ideal for photo taking.. but I guess somewhat interesting..
If you don't do video you could sell it to someone who does, a lot of people remove the ball bearings on purpose to get smooth aperture transitions without noise.
02-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
mee
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ah I just wanted a working, undamaged copy.. I guess since it's at least a 25 year old lens, no one is making replacement parts for them

I wonder what happens when one swings the aperture ring while taking photos? esp long exposures.. might be artsy.. might be crap. worth a shot though.

02-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
You can always be on the lookout for another one with optical defects or damage to the focus helicoid, just use it as is for now and watch eBay for a parts lens.