Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
F*300 "quick shift"

Yes, I know the F*300 doesn't have Quick-Shift, but....with the K-5 in AF mode, I can move the collar on the lens to MF and I can manually adjust the focus. It is a lot stiffer than pure MF mode and it seems to be driving the camera's slot-drive gears backwards. I am careful and only do this infrequently. Could this be damaging to either the camera or lens? It is quite handy to get the focus close to begin with and prevent full-racking the AF. Once it's close, full racking is quite rare, I'm happy to say! I see why Quick-shift is such a good thing! Otherwise this lens is very, very good, and is my favorite, followed by my FA20
Thanks

02-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, it could be damaging to both. I wouldn't suggest doing it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-16-2013, 11:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

With F*300 both lens collar clutch and AF/MF switch on camera body should be set to the same position,( i.e MF on both or AF on both) always. Failure to do so may damage the AF motor or strip the gears in your camera body. This is because the clutch mechanism on the lens collar is not an electrical switch, rather a mechanical clutch mechanism that engages a different gear when when MF is chosen on the collar position. I have on occasion forgotten to set MF on the camera body, but I can immediately tel by the sluggish movement of the AF mechanism, the tortured whine of the AF motor, and the clouds of smoke coming out of the camera body.

Last edited by selar; 02-16-2013 at 11:56 PM.
02-17-2013, 01:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
With F*300 both lens collar clutch and AF/MF switch on camera body should be set to the same position,( i.e MF on both or AF on both) always. Failure to do so may damage the AF motor or strip the gears in your camera body. This is because the clutch mechanism on the lens collar is not an electrical switch, rather a mechanical clutch mechanism that engages a different gear when when MF is chosen on the collar position. I have on occasion forgotten to set MF on the camera body, but I can immediately tel by the sluggish movement of the AF mechanism, the tortured whine of the AF motor, and the clouds of smoke coming out of the camera body.
Well, I'm glad I asked about this- before I wrecked something!
thanks for the head's up!

02-17-2013, 01:32 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The F*300 is one of my favorites too - you have a good lens there!
02-17-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

This is where one of the main differences between the F*300 and FA*300 come in. The FA*300 will allow you to move the lens clutch to MF while leaving the camera in AF. This feature also allows the use of catch-in-focus.
02-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I almost got the FA*300, but for the (no)tripod mount and the looks of the F* are so classy retro and high quality! (and a good copy of the rarer F* came along!) I will just have to be more patient in focusing (and wear earplugs?!)
02-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seadog Quote
I almost got the FA*300, but for the (no)tripod mount and the looks of the F* are so classy retro and high quality! (and a good copy of the rarer F* came along!) I will just have to be more patient in focusing (and wear earplugs?!)
I hear you about the tripod mount. Since I shoot on a tripod 99% of the time I really miss it. I did buy one of the generic knock-off tripod collars, but it just isn't the same. Because of this and a couple other reasons, I just bought a DA*300 and will likely be selling my FA* in the near future.

02-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I bought the F*300 also and remain astounded with its performance. I mainly stick to manual focus with mine, but I have once or twice had the AF on the body engaged while cranking the focus ring, oops.i definitely don't recommend that.
02-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
This is where one of the main differences between the F*300 and FA*300 come in. The FA*300 will allow you to move the lens clutch to MF while leaving the camera in AF. This feature also allows the use of catch-in-focus.

You don't need tripod with either F*300 or FA*300, if you have any body K10D and up, the SR is good enough. Also dont try Catch in Focus with the F*300, as the body will try to turn the MF gearing.
02-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
You don't need tripod with either F*300 or FA*300
Maybe you don't.
02-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Maybe you don't.
Correct. Not even with DA*60-250.