Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use 15mm seldom enough that I went with a used Sigma fisheye. Had the DA come in at its price that would have been great but the fisheye is really fun! I am very happy with 15f 24A 40L 70L & 100macro, plus 55-300 at the long end.

No doubt you will like that DA15 and find uses for it. The 70 is excellent in many ways especially being so small, some day you'll love it too!

02-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #32

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I use 15mm seldom enough that I went with a used Sigma fisheye. Had the DA come in at its price that would have been great but the fisheye is really fun! I am very happy with 15f 24A 40L 70L & 100macro, plus 55-300 at the long end.

No doubt you will like that DA15 and find uses for it. The 70 is excellent in many ways especially being so small, some day you'll love it too!
I'm a little leery of fish-eyes, I think I'd have to actually play with one a bit before committing money to one. I've seen some great shots with them, but it seems like it might be one of the most difficult things to compose with. But that sounds about like what I'm going for, kit-wise. That about covers most decent lengths, and you can leave some at home if you feel like going light, without to much compromise.

I'd like to say that when I get the 70mm eventually I'm done with LBA. But we all know that would be a lie.
02-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You'll love the DA15, especially with our amazing southwestern skies!
02-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Omestes Quote
Kozlok, I've noticed in your pics, and in many of the ones posted here, that shots from the 15mm can look rather cold and sparse. Not in a bad way. Is that from how wide it is, that it highlights empty space more? Poking on your Flickr stream, it looks like you got some good ones, though I can see how tough composition would be. I can't wait for it to come, this is going to be fun.

Lesmore, I feel pretty bad for ignoring the 55-300, it is actually a pretty good lens. And at 300, it is still surprisingly good. I got some fantastic pics of birds with it the other day, and pretty sharp, all things considered. I think when I get the 15mm, and it isn't supposed to rain, I might take it and the 55-300 for a nice walk in the local mountain park. Perhaps spy on some squirrels. The 15mm for the big picture, and the 55-300 for the details.
I think it's from having too much sky. Still trying to learn to get really really close, but it's not natural feeling.

02-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I think it's from having too much sky. Still trying to learn to get really really close, but it's not natural feeling.
It just showed up, and I shot a couple quick pictures in the backyard during a break in the rain... I can see where this one might have a decent learning curve. Wow, you can fit stuff in frame... My yard looks about a mile long, even though its pretty small. This is going to be interesting.

Optically, from the couple of shots I took, this thing is brilliant. A couple quick shots of myself at arms length were amazingly crisp. Metering is going to be odd, since you get so much in, it was hard to get a good dynamic range between the clouds and the ground. Seems like a got a good copy, no front/back focus problems that I can see. Physically it is pretty nice too, good heft, no play, feels like the 40, where some engineer out there deserves a cupcake. The lens cap is... I understand why people say to get a normal 49mm cap. Do all the limited have such odd caps? Looks great, but not terribly useful for shooting.

I can't wait to go for a good walk with it, it has promise, though I have a feeling I'm going to take some horrible pics for awhile.
02-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Omestes Quote
The lens cap is... I understand why people say to get a normal 49mm cap. Do all the limited have such odd caps? Looks great, but not terribly useful for shooting.
The DA 35 Ltd is the only one where I've changed the cap.

With the DA 15, the trick is to press lightly with your forefinger on the center of the cap
while you screw it in with your thumb and middle finger.

Taking it off is pretty quick,
and can be done while the camera's waking up.
Being relatively heavy. the cap spins easily.
02-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #37

Original Poster
It isn't as bad as the 40... I understand it being difficult because it is so small, but it is still a bit fiddly for shooting with. Though I generally don't bother, since the hood seems to protect it enough, and keeps enough dust off. Still I've been tempted to get a little rubber bung from a science supply company to just cork it with.

The built in hood on the 15 is pretty snazzy though.