Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2013, 02:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Takumar repair, metal bending skills needed

Hi, once again I'm in need of your help. Yesterday I thought about opening up my dead Takumar to really see what's wrong with it. Turns out it's not as bad as I thought, and might even be repairable and usable. Unfortunately it will be a difficult task.
Basically, when it fell, only the mount piece and the filter ring were affected. It had a rear cap and hood installed, so the shock wasn't at its maximum. Until yesterday I thought that the name ring had bad threads somehow, it didn't screw properly onto the filter ring. But trying it on my other 50/1.4, it did. So that means the filter ring is slightly bent and made oval in shape.
Something very wrong must have happened with the mount piece as well, because the aperture mechanism simply won't move in any direction. It simply won't budge, and I have no idea where it's stuck.
I have attached a scan (lol) of the pieces involved, along with a picture of the mount piece. Maybe someone can actually help.

02-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Gently using a wood Dowel and hammer....Tapping from the inside will help you straighten out a misformed Ring.

Please dont do it on top of your wife's Macbook tho

02-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Or you could buy a lens filter vice such as one of these (many many listed on eBay):
Large Lens Vise Tool Repair Filter Ring Professional 30mm to 165mm Steel New | eBay

Rolling the ring on a very flat surface should help reveal where it is out of round.

I'm not sure if you are talking about the auto/manual mechanism not working or if the aperture ring and associated mechanism won't move.
02-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need to figure out where the pieces are out of round before you pound them back into shape.

The side of the mount piece with the M42 threads should be flat, so it fits flush with the camera. I'd check that first because it's easy and might give you a clue about how it's bent. You may be able to flatten that by using a wooden dowel end and tapping from the inside, of course removing all the aperture adjustment stuff first.

02-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My wife? I'm 20, lol, maybe my mom
I have no idea where they're out of round, they look perfectly round to me, I thought maybe you could tell me.
I thought those dent straightening tools were useless. I read somewhere a lot of people complaining that it actually introduces more dents than it cures. And I don't have any dent, just two out of round rings.
I don't think I can roll them to see where they're bent, because they're not cylinders.
How exactly am I supposed to remove the aperture adjustment mechanism? That sounds like the logical thing to do.
The mount itself is flat, only the A/M switch is bent and the piece is out of round. I know that because the aperture ring does not operate. Or maybe it simply doesn't operate because the mechanism is 100% stuck. So maybe the mount piece is not bent, just jammed. But the filter ring is bent 100% surely.
02-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
tl;dr version:
I guess my basic question is: has anyone ever delved as far as removing the aperture mechanism? Because that clockwork sure looks nasty.
02-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Small update: I have discovered that the mount piece is actually round, the aperture ring can properly slide on it. However, the culprit is the aperture mechanism, which got jammed when the Auto/Man switch got busted. So only that switch needs to be brought back in place. Wonder how to do that...