Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
DA 15 and DA 12-24 with DXO Optics Pro

I do landscapes and I print big (24x36) and I find it challenging to do wide angle shots due to distortion/sharpness at the edges and corners. Specifically, I like to get sharp edges at infinity and I find that is difficult to achieve. (probably due to lens curvature). f11 with the focus point at the infinity edge using live view gives me best results. This also corresponds to the physical end-stop of these lenses. My 12-24 does much better than my 15mm here. I am considering going with DXO Optics Pro as the RAW converter to help with this. (and to help with the RX100) Does anyone here have experience with DXO and either of these two lenses? Some say it can do miracles. Does it "solve" the 15mm border softness issue?
thanks

02-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seadog Quote
I do landscapes and I print big (24x36) and I find it challenging to do wide angle shots due to distortion/sharpness at the edges and corners.
Is stitching a viable option for you?
02-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I use DxO for most of my raw conversion, but don't have those 2 lenses. I know it does wonders for the more consumer grade lenses (DA 55-300, DA 16-45 etc). I notice that since I now use more of the DA* lenses, the impact of using DxO isn't as great since the lenses are better built. Hopefully someone will come around that has either of those lenses and uses DxO to give a proper answer. I am curious myself as the DA 12-24 has been on my wish list for a while.

Why not download the 30 day free trial - the trial is fully functional and can give you the exact answer you need.

Trial Version
04-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Hopefully someone will come around that has either of those lenses and uses DxO to give a proper answer. I am curious myself as the DA 12-24 has been on my wish list for a while.
I am far from technically competent when it comes to post processing, but here is a shot with the DA 12-24mm that I processed with DxO default's for distortion. This was from two exposures, and I then monkyed with the saturation and sharpening. My lack of competence may not answer your question, but I thought i would put up the shot.

Pentax K-x + Pentax-DA 12-24mm @ 12mm, 1/125sec, f10, ISO 100
Huatulco, Mexico sunrise

04-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Santoku Quote
I am far from technically competent when it comes to post processing, but here is a shot with the DA 12-24mm that I processed with DxO default's for distortion. This was from two exposures, and I then monkyed with the saturation and sharpening. My lack of competence may not answer your question, but I thought i would put up the shot.
Don't be so hard on yourself - the image is beautiful!
04-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Don't be so hard on yourself - the image is beautiful!
+1. Yes it is.
04-14-2013, 10:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Thanks for the supportive feedback. Couldn't pick a better place to sink a tripod in the sand and wait for the sun to come up :-) Cheers !
04-15-2013, 12:46 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
HaHaHa, I just had a good laugh with this thread- I read the original post and thought; Wow, that's exactly what I want to know, what a coincidence........then I realized I wrote it a while back!....Wow..that's bad!...
thanks for the replies, and thanks for your pic, Santoku! I am one step closer to trying DXO optics pro.

04-15-2013, 12:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by seadog Quote
and to help with the RX100
Although I don't have either the 15mm or the 12-24, since DxO has lens modules for both the 15 and the 12-24 with most recent bodies, I suggest downloading DxO and taking a few days to learn it and try it out.

I can however confirm that DxO works very well with the RX100. Having said that, LR also does a very good job too in correcting the extreme distortion in RAW when the RX-100 is shot wide. But DxO seems to have a slight edge in restoring sharpness across the frame, and certainly gives you WAY more options over adjusting for distortion.
04-15-2013, 03:09 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I have DxO Optics Pro but neither the 15 nor the 12-24. I can tell you Optics Pro works miracles with the 18-135 and also works beautifully with the 70 ltd (it doesn't have to work miracles with the 70). I agree with stormtech's recommendation. Download the free trial and see for yourself if it will accomplish what you need with those two lenses.